The underappreciated value of Hand Grenades thread

2»

Comments

• PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    BAHAHAHAH! Jimbo! You would start a thread like this. Only you. That's why I love you! HAhAHAH
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    BTW, when you're on the team, you know I know better than to not rush hand nades upgrades! :)
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    coolitic wrote: »
    coolitic wrote: »
    Is there a place where we can find hard stats on each grenade?

@coolitic try here:
    wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/Hand_Grenades#Cluster_Grenade

I always thought the wiki was dead lol.

Good thing someone keeps it up-to-date now.

Nope, I keep it up to date when I can. Though need to kill all the spam pages.
  • AnkleBitingKittyAnkleBitingKitty United States Join Date: 2014-01-19 Member: 193284Members
    edited January 2015
    I think cluster grenades and nerve gas is fine as they are, they're both effective at what they do. I really think pulse grenades should be changed however. Best Idea Iv'e heard and really like is that the effect will cause actions to drain more energy instead of reducing attack speed. As meatmachine says you could use them to try and stop a gorge rush, this seems like a pretty niche situation, and the change would still allow you to do this as they will run out of energy quickly and take longer to charge enough to launch a bile, as well as having more uses like forcing a onos to leave early as he can no longer can gore quickly and can't charge effectivley.

Also the concept art for the grenades is very intresting. A couple of ideas:

1. The stick grenade could be a cheap damage nade that you pick up a couple for a 1-2 of res and is pretty much a GL round, maybe can be thrown further as well. This could make a nice addition to just carry around an explosive without taking away all the res of just buying something like a cluster all the time. Also I think stick grenades look pretty cool.

2. The Phospherous Grenade seemed pretty intresting, while I don't think the white phospherous grenade should be added as the role of an AoE DoT grenade is already taken by nerve gas which is pretty good at it, it reminds me of a previous idea I had of an anti-strucural thermite grenade. It would be a bit different from the other grenades and maybe a bit more expensive, around 4-5 res instead of 3. You would throw the grenade and it would latch onto the first surface it hits besides structures and players, in which case it would bounce off a little bit and attach to the next surface it touches, and also a longer trigger time to give you to run away after throwing it as the radius of effect is small and in some situations you might want to be precise and place it as apposed to throwing it.

After sticking to to surface and the delay it would create an intense effect like thermite would for a duration maybe around 7-10 seconds doing intense damage as well as setting all alien structures and lifeforms that are in or walk into the radius. Damage wise it should probably take away around 80% of a harvesters life as well as leaving it on fire. Radius would be about the size of that it takes to set of a mine, and shouldn't be much of a hinderance to alien lifeforms.

Examples of how this could be used tacticly:
    - Closing off a vent for a duration as aliens would take massive damage as well as being set on fire if they ran through
    - Placing near a harvester for quick RT harrasment
    -Using to set fire to whips or hydras for 7-10 seconds as well as the duration of fire to run through unharrased
    -almost instantaneously destroying clog walls
    -Throwing on upgrades for quick res harrasment
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2015
    PoNeH wrote: »
    BAHAHAHAH! Jimbo! You would start a thread like this. Only you. That's why I love you! HAhAHAH
    PoNeH wrote: »
    BTW, when you're on the team, you know I know better than to not rush hand nades upgrades! :)

Couldn't help it @PoNeH‌ , you know much I love em :) Grenadier for life!
  • HoeloeHoeloe Switzerland Join Date: 2014-03-02 Member: 194487Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yay pulsenades, i love them. So many marines killed themselves cause they have thrown one into my face while I attacked them. At least they killed me too, so totally worth it. :sunglasses: I research nades when I see my marines get stopped by a gorge fortress, or before we will rush a hive (Imba gas).
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @AnkleBitingKitty‌ there are a couple of other nice uses for pulse grenades too. They do damage to a small area with no delay, which makes them more useful than clusters in a few situations;

Team of skulks biting your buddy? Chuck a pulse can do nice damage before they have a chance to run away. Clusters used in this situation are kinda random and take time to do the damage; most players seek cover as soon as the first BANG goes off.

PG getting grinded - do enough damage to severely wound even lerks, AND slow the attack speed of all nearby aliens making the grind take even longer, and easier for your buddies to get through without getting instagibbed.

Skulk behind RT - suddenly is heavily chipped and cannot chew the RT as fast.

Recently I have become a bit of a pulse nade fanboy :X
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited January 2015
    I think cluster grenades and nerve gas is fine as they are, they're both effective at what they do. I really think pulse grenades should be changed however. Best Idea Iv'e heard and really like is that the effect will cause actions to drain more energy instead of reducing attack speed. As meatmachine says you could use them to try and stop a gorge rush, this seems like a pretty niche situation, and the change would still allow you to do this as they will run out of energy quickly and take longer to charge enough to launch a bile, as well as having more uses like forcing a onos to leave early as he can no longer can gore quickly and can't charge effectivley.

Also the concept art for the grenades is very intresting. A couple of ideas:

1. The stick grenade could be a cheap damage nade that you pick up a couple for a 1-2 of res and is pretty much a GL round, maybe can be thrown further as well. This could make a nice addition to just carry around an explosive without taking away all the res of just buying something like a cluster all the time. Also I think stick grenades look pretty cool.

2. The Phospherous Grenade seemed pretty intresting, while I don't think the white phospherous grenade should be added as the role of an AoE DoT grenade is already taken by nerve gas which is pretty good at it, it reminds me of a previous idea I had of an anti-strucural thermite grenade. It would be a bit different from the other grenades and maybe a bit more expensive, around 4-5 res instead of 3. You would throw the grenade and it would latch onto the first surface it hits besides structures and players, in which case it would bounce off a little bit and attach to the next surface it touches, and also a longer trigger time to give you to run away after throwing it as the radius of effect is small and in some situations you might want to be precise and place it as apposed to throwing it.

After sticking to to surface and the delay it would create an intense effect like thermite would for a duration maybe around 7-10 seconds doing intense damage as well as setting all alien structures and lifeforms that are in or walk into the radius. Damage wise it should probably take away around 80% of a harvesters life as well as leaving it on fire. Radius would be about the size of that it takes to set of a mine, and shouldn't be much of a hinderance to alien lifeforms.

Examples of how this could be used tacticly:
    - Closing off a vent for a duration as aliens would take massive damage as well as being set on fire if they ran through
    - Placing near a harvester for quick RT harrasment
    -Using to set fire to whips or hydras for 7-10 seconds as well as the duration of fire to run through unharrased
    -almost instantaneously destroying clog walls
    -Throwing on upgrades for quick res harrasment

So basically its a way to nuke buildings without giving the aliens a chance to respond.

You can already kill a harvester pretty damn fast. Unless there is someone in the area and ready to defend you'll probably get it down to 25% solo before they can kill you and recyst (that's counting the bleed time). Two marines and they simply can't stop you unless they see you coming, and anything that makes that process faster for a solo marine is just unfair. And what you are suggesting goes beyond that, one grenade doing 70% to a harvester and killing shades/crags/shifts/spurs/shells/veils/tunnels is just stupidly OP. Even if they can't stack (2 grenades at once), that basically means all you have to do to kill any building is chuck a grenade and empty a clip, if that, and they can't stop you at all.

I have an idea of my own for a grenade though: basically parasite.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @AnkleBitingKitty‌ there are a couple of other nice uses for pulse grenades too. They do damage to a small area with no delay, which makes them more useful than clusters in a few situations;

Team of skulks biting your buddy? Chuck a pulse can do nice damage before they have a chance to run away. Clusters used in this situation are kinda random and take time to do the damage; most players seek cover as soon as the first BANG goes off.

PG getting grinded - do enough damage to severely wound even lerks, AND slow the attack speed of all nearby aliens making the grind take even longer, and easier for your buddies to get through without getting instagibbed.

Skulk behind RT - suddenly is heavily chipped and cannot chew the RT as fast.

Recently I have become a bit of a pulse nade fanboy :X

Believe it or not, I am a recent convert to the pulse as well (after getting a pulse grenade kill). The insta damage is awesome, and slowing down the attack speed means you have more time to finish the lifeform off. Making a blinking fade into a ground fade is hilarious.