Mod "XXX" doesn't contain a valid download url

KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
edited May 2015 in Modding
Hi,

In order to speed up the Faded mod dev & integration I am trying to publish it myself.

But I am stuck with the "doesn't contain a valid download url" issue when I try to join the server. The mod on the workshop seems correctly uploaded (description, title, mod id). I have checked and no other mod are have been turned on at this moment.

But:
* The mod size is 0.000 MB on the workshop
* It is flaged as "unavailable" when browsing the mod option on the main menu

Do I have to wait a bit ?
Any ideas ?

mod url: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=156700641

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2015
    I guess you are not the owner of that mod. That means steam won't accept any files from you.

That's kinda one of the biggest issues i had with the steam workshop since the beginning. It is impossible to pass the ownership of a mod to another user or even make another user co-owner.

So you are forced to create a new workshop mod item even if you use some kind of remote code management if the workshop owner stops taking part in the development process.

• KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited May 2015
    Sound strange since I was able to corrupt somehow the mod on the workshop (write access ??), able to change description, mod name and the ns2 publisher tells me everything is ok.

For now I will create a new mod and see.

Thank you for the answer.

Edit: It works ! (black magic ftw)

I think there were an issue with the Spark launch pad and the publish id in "mod.settings". I created a new mod, close the launch pad, reopen it with the old one and change the name. Then edit the publish id (that was changed with the mod I just created) with the real one, publish and it seems everything is working.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2015
    Sound strange since I was able to corrupt somehow the mod on the workshop (write access ??), able to change description, mod name and the ns2 publisher tells me everything is ok.

For now I will create a new mod and see.

Thank you for the answer.

Edit: It works ! (black magic ftw)

I think there were an issue with the Spark launch pad and the publish id in "mod.settings". I created a new mod, close the launch pad, reopen it with the old one and change the name. Then edit the publish id (that was changed with the mod I just created) with the real one, publish and it seems everything is working.

Good to know Valve finally fixed this. That the launchpad loves to screw up mods while publishing is kinda common knowledge.

To avoid running into those issues follow these steps to publish your mod:
    1. Open the mod.settings in a text editor.
    2. Close launchpad, relaunch it and open your mod folder.
    3. Click at publish.
    4. Check if the publish_id inside the mod.settings is still fine! If not fix it and go back to step 2.
    5. Publish ;)