[Suggestion] Liquid Air Upgrade for Rebreather

TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
The technical term for liquid air is perfluorocarbon (PFC). PFC is a synthetic liquid fluorinated hydrocarbon. Basically, it’s a liquid that can hold three times the oxygen and four times the carbon dioxide as human blood. Also, it does wonders for cooling/heating. 

Essentially the stuff is fucking amazing, especially when it comes to diving. 

Humans can actually breathe PFC like it's air - a no brainer then that 200 years in the future PFC would be the standard for deep sea exploration. Imagine breathing in a watery substance, only to have the sensation of fresh air filling your lungs. The reason a liquid solution is superior to a pure gas is not only that the liquid has a greater oxygen capacity, but that the liquid prevents your lungs from imploding under extreme pressure (also you don’t have to fuck around with the nitrogen-oxygen mix crap that deep sea divers use). 

Another cool thing is that the liquid ventilation (LV) can regulate body temperature. The depths are a cold and unforgiving place. It’s nice not to freeze to death. In experiments, mice could be conditioned to breathe an oxygenated saline solution, and then survive under the pressure of 160 atmospheres… that’s one mile below the surface! With a LV you could easily dive to 1600 meters. Also, there is no need for slow decompression (if such realism is implemented). With PFC in the lungs there is less worry about drastic decompression given that a person's lungs have a lower change in volume while ascending.

LV technology is realistic and based in fact. The Exosuit might very well enable great dives, but it would be nice to be able to freely swim around. LV would undoubtedly use PFC tanks and would have greater efficiency at depth. Perhaps there could be a fragment that you obtain with the aid of the Exosuit - this would enable free dives. 

Anyways, feel free to give your two cents. :)

Comments

• sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    If it is in, it would have to be expensive. I honestly like the idea of looking out on a landscape from your sub, knowing that you can never go out in it, for the environment would kill you instantly.
  • FrostyFishFrostyFish Unknown Liquid Bearing World Join Date: 2015-03-28 Member: 202652Members
    It's an interesting idea and harkens back to The Abyss movie.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    sayerulz said:
    If it is in, it would have to be expensive. I honestly like the idea of looking out on a landscape from your sub, knowing that you can never go out in it, for the environment would kill you instantly.
    Here's how I imagine a player would craft the items needed:

Component list for LV tank:
    -2 Jeweled Disk Pieces (may contain Fluorspar, Chlorophane, Yttrocerite, or Yttrofluorite - all natural sources of fluorite)
    -2 Coral Chunks (carbon, the other component for organofluorine)
    -1 High Capacity Tank
    -1 Titanium 
    -1 Silicone
    -2 Creepvine Piece

Components for LV Breather:
    -1 Advanced Wiring Kit
    -2 Silicone

LV involves inserting a narrow tube like device into the lungs. I’d assume this process would be automated with future technology when the mask is put on. The tube prevents buildup of excess CO2 in the lungs due to increased viscosity of the PFC fluid at extreme depth. It’s either the tube system, or having a femoral artery implant (the tube is temporary and non-invasive). 

I imagine LV as a strait upgrade to regular compressed gas systems. The only downsides (balance) are a slower recharge, and slightly heavier weight (so yea, LV tanks are heavier than even the high capacity tanks). Of course, there is an additional benefit to PFC – it can prevent lung collapse from trauma and help mitigate internal bleeding (liquid in the lungs means more efficient distribution of hydrostatic shock around the body). The use of LV should have a damage reduction bonus too. :smile: 

LV would have to be a fragment technology, found perhaps beyond 1000 meters... somewhere around 1500 m to 2000 m. I really began to seriously think about the implications of the Exosuit, and that if you had to bail out at depth that would be a serious problem (especially if pressure becomes part of the game's mechanics). 
  • SalmonJEDlSalmonJEDl Finland Join Date: 2015-05-14 Member: 204465Members
    I think fragments should be either rewards from other parts of Aurora or found in a piece of wreckage from deep sea. Alien city is also plausible, but I'd prefer that it's human-made.
    This would be mid-end game content.
    Tank could be made out of plasteel.
  • conscioussoulconscioussoul Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204607Members, Subnautica Playtester
    The technical term for liquid air is perfluorocarbon (PFC). PFC is a synthetic liquid fluorinated hydrocarbon. Basically, it’s a liquid that can hold three times the oxygen and four times the carbon dioxide as human blood. Also, it does wonders for cooling/heating. 

A bit like in the movie The Abyss?
    Is there a drawback? Like returning to regular air? What would be the associated game mechanic for using it / stopping to use it?
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members

A bit like in the movie The Abyss?
    Is there a drawback? Like returning to regular air? What would be the associated game mechanic for using it / stopping to use it?
    sayerulz said:
    Here's how I imagine a player would craft the items needed:

Component list for LV tank:
    -2 Jeweled Disk Pieces (may contain Fluorspar, Chlorophane, Yttrocerite, or Yttrofluorite - all natural sources of fluorite)
    -2 Coral Chunks (carbon, the other component for organofluorine)
    -1 High Capacity Tank
    -1 Titanium 
    -1 Silicone
    -2 Creepvine Piece

Components for LV Breather:
    -1 Advanced Wiring Kit
    -2 Silicone

LV involves inserting a narrow tube like device into the lungs. I’d assume this process would be automated with future technology when the mask is put on. The tube prevents buildup of excess CO2 in the lungs due to increased viscosity of the PFC fluid at extreme depth. It’s either the tube system, or having a femoral artery implant (the tube is temporary and non-invasive). 

I imagine LV as a strait upgrade to regular compressed gas systems. The only downsides (balance) are a slower recharge, and slightly heavier weight (so yea, LV tanks are heavier than even the high capacity tanks). Of course, there is an additional benefit to PFC – it can prevent lung collapse from trauma and help mitigate internal bleeding (liquid in the lungs means more efficient distribution of hydrostatic shock around the body). The use of LV should have a damage reduction bonus too. :smile: 

LV would have to be a fragment technology, found perhaps beyond 1000 meters... somewhere around 1500 m to 2000 m. I really began to seriously think about the implications of the Exosuit, and that if you had to bail out at depth that would be a serious problem (especially if pressure becomes part of the game's mechanics). 
    It has a slower recharge and it's heavier. 
  • Cynder_DragonbornCynder_Dragonborn United Staes Join Date: 2015-04-17 Member: 203557Members
    I'm speechless right now, this is very well thought out. I never knew you could breathe PFC. :)
    edited June 2015
    I'm speechless right now, this is very well thought out. I never knew you could breathe PFC. :)
    Well, not all PFC are the same. There are; however, specific PFC molecules usable in breathing applications. 
  • conscioussoulconscioussoul Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204607Members, Subnautica Playtester
    No I mean in real life?
    What's the drawback? I am just curious, since you say this technology exists, yet to my knowledge it's not widely used by divers.
    Do you remember, in The Abyss, when he gets to use it, there is a moment of sheer panic as his systems thinks he is drawning, before he realizes he can breath.
    I always thought it was just a movie thing.  But if that technology exists in real life, I am curious to hear how people truly adapt to it, and if you can switch to and from air/liquid with no consequences.

No I mean in real life?
    What's the drawback? I am just curious, since you say this technology exists, yet to my knowledge it's not widely used by divers.
    Do you remember, in The Abyss, when he gets to use it, there is a moment of sheer panic as his systems thinks he is drawning, before he realizes he can breath.
    I always thought it was just a movie thing.  But if that technology exists in real life, I am curious to hear how people truly adapt to it, and if you can switch to and from air/liquid with no consequences.

The technology most defiantly exists and experiments (animal tests) have been carried out (mostly by the US Military). Unfortunately for LV, the prevalence and rapid advancement of ROV technology means that the application of LV will be rare outside the field of medicine. Field use will probably be limited to special military operations, if only. The main reasoning is there are still major dangers involved with extremely deep dives. The only foreseeable, widespread commercial use might be in space suits, but there aren't many significant advantages know in that regard (not much research in this area). 

There is no standard practice for the application of LV. This is one reason why research has somewhat stagnated. Also, there is a big problem encountered at extreme depth with LV (one thing that The Abyss got terribly wrong). The increased viscosity of the PFC fluid under pressure causes circulation problems. Fluid begins to pool in the diver's lungs (as with the US Military experiments - lab rats). This can causes excess (lethal) CO2 buildup in the bloodstream. The lab rats could survive at a simulated depth of 2 miles... till they died from carbon dioxide poisoning (2 miles is impossible for gas systems).

To combat the viscosity, there are two methods. The one I mentioned is to physically stir/agitate/circulate fluid pooling in the lungs using a robotic device. The second is to use implants inside the body to filter out excess CO2 (IRL, proposed methods include the use of implants in the femoral arteries).

Basically, either way you're sticking some real fancy-schmancy doo-dads in your bod... tech that is all but developed right now. The principles are there; LV is perfectly OK for use at one atm, but usage at depth is another technological nut to crack. 

Of course, future tech has our intrepid explorer covered. Undoubtedly, LV research continued for medical and possibly aerospace use in Subnautica's universe continuity, so there's no reason why LV couldn't be converted to diving applications. 

Hope that answers the question. :smiley: 

Thanks @TotallyLemon - very interesting!!
  • Cynder_DragonbornCynder_Dragonborn United Staes Join Date: 2015-04-17 Member: 203557Members
    Cynder_Dragonborn said:

Well, not all PFC are the same. There are; however, specific PFC molecules usable in breathing applications. 

I also did not know this, if I went and breathed in PFC by now I would likely be in the ER, lol. :(
    edited June 2015
    Cynder_Dragonborn said:

I also did not know this, if I went and breathed in PFC by now I would likely be in the ER, lol. :(

Disclaimer, PFCs are simply chemical compounds that contain carbon-fluorine and carbon-carbon bonds. Breathing just any PFC will not make you breath under water. Some PFCs are toxic, while others are strait up acid that can burn through steel beams.

Of course, it goes without saying, people shouldn't try something just because they read it on the internet.
    edited June 2015
    I really wouldn't, but this concept is awesome!!! I don't want to breathe any PFC compounds unless its absolutely safe! XD

Also, plz help my dragons. :)
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    The PFC used in an oxygenated perfluorocarbon emulsion is a special formulation considered safe for contact with human tissue.

Since Subnautica is only a game, I wouldn't worry too much about adverse health effects. Any decent programmer can fix that.

Here's the Wikipedia entry on Liquid Breathing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_breathing
    edited June 2015
    Not for breathing though? Right?

Edit: Just read the link, my brain hurts. :(
  • tyler111762tyler111762 Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204558Members
    Cynder_Dragonborn said:

Disclaimer, PFCs are simply chemical compounds that contain carbon-fluorine and carbon-carbon bonds. Breathing just any PFC will not make you breath under water. Some PFCs are toxic, while others are strait up acid that can burn through steel beams.

Of course, it goes without saying, people shouldn't try something just because they read it on the internet.

is jet fuel one of those PFCs that melt steal beams
    Cynder_Dragonborn said:

is jet fuel one of those PFCs that melt steal beams

Jet fuel is a hydrocarbon, so no it's not.