NS2 Messing with wondows disks in ways that it should not

ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
For some reason it appears that NS2 is sending some sort of command that tells all your disks to abort tests ect even if they are not the ones used by the game. No other game or program does this, just NS2 which makes me think that whatever this is is not only not needed but also some glitch of something that was supposed to help us going out of control.

Now here is how I found the glitch. I am running a verification check on my raid 6 array. During this time the RAID array is supposed to use 80% of its resources for the check until it finishes. There is no setting ect that interrupts the check ect if the system is not idle or to run it only when idle infact I have it set to run continuously. It does run constantly just as it should no matter how much load I place on the array or what application I run locally or across the network, with the exception of NS2.

For some unknown reason NS2 pauses the check which in itself is very scary that ns2 is fucking around with disks that it is not even on and not just messing with files but with the entire operation of the disk! This is a major issue which needs to be addressed as whatever it is doing has the potential to destroy someones computer. NS2 should not be messing with disks it is not running on and likely should not be messing with disks at all.

If it is able to cause a verification to stop just imagine what this is doing to normal fault checking that is being killed as well. Basically running this game prevents your system from running critical HDD background checks which prevent your data from being corrupted and or fixes corrupted data when found depending on error.

NS2 needs to stop interfering with critical system tasks. NS2 is just a game it has no right or need to be messing around with the control of users systems in this way, it is a recipe for disaster.

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2015
    Hi,

i would suggest to use the MSDN process monitor to hunt down the source of this issue.

I highly doubt that it is ns2!
  • babblerblingbabblerbling Join Date: 2015-05-27 Member: 204951Members
    Interesting but feels like it may have a mundane cause. Something like the raid driver stopping it's activity when it detects high cpu load etc. (yes even despite you told it not to).

Unlucky Ibis had two drives simultaneously fail very recently. :(
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Also it is not even a process that it is stopping thus does not show up on process monitor. The task is being preformed by the raid controller card directly at its bios level. I will run some more tests though to verify that it really is only NS2 that effects the controller card in this way.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2015
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    Also it is not even a process that it is stopping thus does not show up on process monitor. The task is being preformed by the raid controller card directly at its bios level. I will run some more tests though to verify that it really is only NS2 that effects the controller card in this way.

I would doubt it's just NS2. More like the high CPU load causes the given task to stop. Try to test that via something like Prime95 ;)
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    The processing is done by the controllers cpu main cpu busy/not has no effect.

Now when it is running the controller is ticking along like normal, but strange that it just gave up for like 8 hours while ns2 was the only thing running.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Have to agree that it sounds odd and unlikely to be ns2, and process monitor is truly something we could use finding out what happens.
    or perhaps perfmon from windows to look at the disk tab.
  • loip1234loip1234 Czech Join Date: 2014-10-23 Member: 199094Members
    i cant play because all time see NS2 is very unique...... and i cant start any server any1 what i need to do?