[Shine] Captains [Beta]

KKyleKKyle Michigan Join Date: 2005-07-01 Member: 55067Members
edited June 2015 in Modding
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=461698711
sh_pickcaptain or /setcapain <name> <team> - Chooses this teams captain

Forces said captain to said team

Once both captains are picked, sends everyone else to the readyroom and prohibits them from joining a team unless picked by the captain.

Then a coin is flipped choosing who chooses first.

From there the first choosing side types sh_pick or /pick <name> which will set the picked person to said captains team.

Goes back and forth until game starts where it disables the forcings of teams.

edit: source redacted because it's constantly updated

Comments

• babblerblingbabblerbling Join Date: 2015-05-27 Member: 204951Members
    Captains is a nice concept. On the average server however, the team selection takes too long to be viable.
    This needs to be addressed first.

Unless the captain goes comm every time (this again raises issues), you'd want to add a way to select a comm.

There were some suggestions lingering in a thread about captains a while ago.

A good captains mode could be one of the ways to start rounds on public servers in a better, future version of NS2.
  • CRaZyCAT_RusCRaZyCAT_Rus Russia Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188899Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Any plans and ideas to further development? :)
  • KKyleKKyle Michigan Join Date: 2005-07-01 Member: 55067Members
    edited June 2015
    Only thing I can think of is not disabling the forcing of teams on roundstart for those who have picked, and only for newcomers, or a different way to pick the captain, or a different way to pick a person. Other than that I've tested this as much as I could with just bots and myself. I wrote it from scratch from last night until this morning. Have yet to see it test out on a full server. There's bound to be issues with the current state, that's why I titled it Beta. But it's better than the current state of enforcing captains manually and without a plugin IMO. As for any further development that really depends on the amount of support this gets altogether.
  • CRaZyCAT_RusCRaZyCAT_Rus Russia Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188899Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I think that the most important things need to do is opportunity for players to become a captain without admin involvement and to switch captain mod ON/OFF through voting. For example with /becaptain and /captainmod commands. People can use this plugin on community's pubs then.

I can test this mod on russian servers tonight.
    meh. You and the two people who like that comment can go ahead and write it then. For the Siege server I don't see these things necessary enough. All I see is people wanting more and more. There's a reason this is open source ya know.
    Apologies just gimme some time to rest i'm currently exhausted so excuse my outburst. There's obviously support to maintain the mod but given my broad range of everything from ns2 such as siege, the maps, the ns1 mod, shine siege mod, etc. I'm pretty overwhelmed. I'll see where this goes.
    edited June 2015
    so m > captains vote to enable captains then have it randomly choose a person to be captain and then have 30 seconds of "if this captain doesnt choose someone then choose a new captain" ?

edit: nah the vote stuff is way too complicated and im not interested in spending anymore time on that right now
    added in a test vote captains enabled in pregame that's a different method than typical shine voting but should still in theory work just as effectively, maybe.

made it so picked teams stay forced for all those picked, but if a game starts then it will allow late joiners to pick whichever side they want.

among other things this is still being tested out on the siege server and such
  • TooMuchFunTooMuchFun NunyaBiznizz Join Date: 2014-04-28 Member: 195653Members
    I did some work commenting out the lua script... do you mind if I post it? I think it could help others modify your code and improve it if you would like that. I basically just subscribed to the mod, commented the file in my lua IDE, and saved it somewhere else on my computer. If you want any help I would love to get involved! =D