A couple of ideas...

SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
I've got some ideas to improve the game a little bit.
  • The time to research an upgrade should be added to the commander menu. Research/upgrade times vary a lot and there is no way of knowing how long they take to complete. It could also be useful if the time left is displayed next to the progress bar when the upgrade is running.
  • The pause command from the NSL mod would be nice to have as an admin command in vanilla or Shine.
  • I'd like the name of the player who's using voice chat to be displayed for about a second or so after the voice chat has ended. I comm a lot and during intense rounds I often find myself wondering which player a voice belongs to. The name could perhaps fade out or just change colour to a darker shade of orange or something.
  • Remove the "Client tried to request rifle/skin they do not have yet". It can get a bit spammy and I can't see any need for it to be logged.
  • Show player model skins more. You rarely ever see the skin of your own player model. Sometimes the camera zooms in on you as the round starts but it's not always clear which model is yours and a lot of the time it shows something else. It would be nice if the camera circles around you instead and why not add the player's name above the model to make it extra clear. Making people more aware of how they look in-game would probably help selling the skin packs as well.
  • I play at 2560*1440 and when I enable the fps counter in console the counter is partially covered by the commander's name. Move it a little bit please?
What do you think?

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2015
    "Show player model skins more. You rarely ever see the skin of your own player model. Sometimes the camera zooms in on you as the round starts but it's not always clear which model is yours and a lot of the time it shows something else. It would be nice if the camera circles around you instead and why not add the player's name above the model to make it extra clear. Making people more aware of how they look in-game would probably help selling the skin packs as well."

In the beginning of a round there is that weird bug where you look strait up or strait down. Recently it was suggested by someone to lock the mouse before the game starts. What if instead, you lined up all the players on the team in a line in third person similar to nosgoths pregame and hawkens endgame. Then when the round begins you go back to the first person and start the game same as always. This might be better in endgame, because you can see other lifeform skins too. Either way it seems kind of obtrusive when we can free roam in pregame which might be preferred.

Example from Nosgoth:
    eGqDDau.jpg
    llCdrkS.jpg
    8GtiOrW.jpg
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @Nordic I like that idea. Line them up and pan around a bit. Grouped together like that makes them look more like a team as well.
  • BabblerKingBabblerKing Join Date: 2015-07-12 Member: 206120Members
    Yup, not a single one of those fixes player retention, let's add and fast track them.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited July 2015
    O great, from babblerbling to babblerking, the disagrees continue. Why dont you figure out something better to do w/ your time, atf? <-snip: no need to use such kind of words ~Ghoul --> meh, sorry. the truth hurts :D
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    SupaFred wrote: »
    I've got some ideas to improve the game a little bit.
    • The time to research an upgrade should be added to the commander menu. Research/upgrade times vary a lot and there is no way of knowing how long they take to complete. It could also be useful if the time left is displayed next to the progress bar when the upgrade is running.
    • The pause command from the NSL mod would be nice to have as an admin command in vanilla or Shine.
    • I'd like the name of the player who's using voice chat to be displayed for about a second or so after the voice chat has ended. I comm a lot and during intense rounds I often find myself wondering which player a voice belongs to. The name could perhaps fade out or just change colour to a darker shade of orange or something.
    • Remove the "Client tried to request rifle/skin they do not have yet". It can get a bit spammy and I can't see any need for it to be logged.
    • Show player model skins more. You rarely ever see the skin of your own player model. Sometimes the camera zooms in on you as the round starts but it's not always clear which model is yours and a lot of the time it shows something else. It would be nice if the camera circles around you instead and why not add the player's name above the model to make it extra clear. Making people more aware of how they look in-game would probably help selling the skin packs as well.
    • I play at 2560*1440 and when I enable the fps counter in console the counter is partially covered by the commander's name. Move it a little bit please?
    What do you think?

Love the idea of 1 and 3! Always found myself having to tell my soldiers on the field armour 1 is coming "soon" they must think I am researching patch 275 :lol:

Voice name lingering for 1 second would be nice as I am forever asking "who? who?".

Nice ideas fred.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I've tried to make it so that it shows your variant while you spawn but I could never get it to work correctly for you and everyone else.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    And it would be useful to see the time left instead of the percentage researched when you're facing an armory or protolab. It would, for example, help timing those jet pack rushes better.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    [*] I'd like the name of the player who's using voice chat to be displayed for about a second or so after the voice chat has ended. I comm a lot and during intense rounds I often find myself wondering which player a voice belongs to. The name could perhaps fade out or just change colour to a darker shade of orange or something.
    Indication on the minimap of who is speaking would be great too.
    "BEHIND YOU!!"
    *every player on server does a 180 and starts firing*
    :P

With what seems to be at least a full second delay on voice, it's not much use to shout out enemies unless they are either hiding or in an entirely different room. Wish the voiceovers were more useful, since they already have an in-game range limit and seem to play near-instantly.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    [*] I'd like the name of the player who's using voice chat to be displayed for about a second or so after the voice chat has ended. I comm a lot and during intense rounds I often find myself wondering which player a voice belongs to. The name could perhaps fade out or just change colour to a darker shade of orange or something.
    Indication on the minimap of who is speaking would be great too.
    "BEHIND YOU!!"
    *every player on server does a 180 and starts firing*
    :P

This would be a great idea for voice transmit icon to display on map whilst they are talking!
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    [*] The pause command from the NSL mod would be nice to have as an admin command in vanilla or Shine. [

maybe sh_rcon speed 0 might help you :smiley: alltough it will have a redplug during that time.

@wooza That works? In my experience it's easy to crash a server when going really slow (below 0.2-0.3 speed).
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    I tried it once, it didn't crash but it redplugged during that time and took ages to get back to normal speed :D let's say it's more a workaround than a solution and not really recommended. A pause command would definitely be more useful