Some more ideas...

SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
I've collected some more ideas and suggestions:
  • Automatically pick up a dropped welder if you're not already carrying one.
  • Building with the welder should give a small build speed bonus. At the moment it's only quicker to build a destroyed power node with a welder than with the default build tool. It doesn't make sense to me and I think it would be good to encourage people to buy welders. The speed bonus should be small though. Around 10%?
  • Shorter build time for the observatory. It feels like it takes too long to build considering it's small size. It might be that way to prevent emergency beacons but (according to the wiki at least) it takes almost twice as long to build an observatory than a robotics factory which doesn't make much sense.
  • The sound played when a power node is built is too loud and goes on for too long.
  • Turn down the atmospherics and bloom effects. New players will most likely have these settings on and while they may make the game look good they also make aliens really hard to spot. Keep them on but tone them down a bit? I use NS2+ to set atmospherics to around 30% which is an ok compromise.

Comments

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    1. YES, really frustrating when you have a bundle of weapons and welder on the floor and you just end up cycling through weapons!

2. IIRC they build at exactly the same speed however welder gives more armor?

3. Is build time in direct correlation to structure HP? can we have a comparison between robo factory HP and observatory?

4. Not sure about this one, can mean alot more sneaker PG rushes which can be great for marines, not so good for aliens. Buy a welder, alot more quieter.

5. Can't say much for atmospherics but bloom should be defaulted to off in the settings if it hasn't been already!
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    1. Yes but could get messy if you swapping a welder around a squad.

2. I thought it was designed to give the build item more armor in the build process so if its half built it takes longer for aliens to chew. Not sure marines need it buffing.

3. Not sure about this one, I also thought it was just linked to structure HP.

4. Don't think this needs a change, large surges of power and area's "booting up" should be mega loud and long :)

5. I max everything... NS2 is purdy... heehee

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited August 2015
    1. Yes
    2. Not sure if necessary
    3. Again not sure, requires further investigation
    4. The sound level is fine.
    5. The problem with atmospherics being too dense has been around for a long time. Also bloom isn't particularly well optimized, and also is just a tad bit too high. Devs need to work on these things.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2015
    4) I had already lowered that sound volume a while ago, it used to make your ears bleed.
    5) Other than the flashlight, atmospherics are fine, so is bloom.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    4) I had already lowered that sound volume a while ago, it used to make your ears bleed.
    5) Other than the flashlight, atmospherics are fine, so is bloom.

Atmospherics and Bloom make it impossible to spot aliens on the walls in lava falls of refinery, especially between the individual lava falls sections.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Yes please add a slider for both of them.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited August 2015

Yes it used to be louder. It's still too loud and goes on for too long imo. I'd rather have a short "power node built" sound and then have a sound effect from the flickering lights. Something like this (low volume) or this.
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    3. Is build time in direct correlation to structure HP? can we have a comparison between robo factory HP and observatory?

Sure.
    Observatory: HP 700, armour 500, build time 15 s, takes 10 s to kill for one skulk.
    Robo factory: HP 2800, armour 600, build time 8 s, takes 24 s to kill for one skulk.

I got the numbers from the wiki and best buildings to bite so I can't guarantee that they are correct but I think they are.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    SupaFred wrote: »

Yes it used to be louder. It's still too loud and goes on for too long imo. I'd rather have a short "power node built" sound and then have a sound effect from the flickering lights. Something like this (low volume) or this.
    Yojimbo wrote: »

Sure.
    Observatory: HP 700, armour 500, build time 15 s, takes 10 s to kill for one skulk.
    Robo factory: HP 2800, armour 600, build time 8 s, takes 24 s to kill for one skulk.

I got the numbers from the wiki and best buildings to bite so I can't guarantee that they are correct but I think they are.

This may have been an oversight then @SupaFred! Good find mate!
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2015
    Why not just let marines weld their own armour with welder (slowly), without having to repair anything else? It would encourage more marines to buy the welder, and cease the silly "hot-potato" game with Welders. The risk of getting ambushed with your welder equipped instead of your other weapon is sufficient IMO.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited August 2015
    The welder game is only silly because of how badly implemented the drop weapon commands are. If I'm holding my welder and standing over a shotgun and a welder I have to actually walk away to drop my welder so I can recycle the other one. Otherwise I'm forced to keep picking up the shotgun

You should also throw weapons and welders further in my opinion, it's clumsy as it is and I often find that I picked up my welder again while I'm yelling at someone for not welding me
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts