Placing buildings deforms the terrain too much

aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
Anybody else think when you drop a building it should conform to the terrain better with its supports rather than taking a large chunk out of it depending on where you place it?

I found a scenic spot in the shallows I wanted to place a large building on and it consistently takes out huge chunks of the ground when it should have been fine with the supports lifting it up while keeping the ground features intact.

Come to think of it, this could be fixed by letting the player alter the height of the structure while placing it using the mousewheel (or some other key) rather than having it hard snap against the terrain. There would be a maximum height of the supports of course, but it would fix the problem.

Comments

• RaffleBaffleRaffleBaffle New York Join Date: 2015-08-19 Member: 207279Members
    Strong agree. Also, sometimes I am about to put down a foundation and the outline shows supports, but then I place it and there's nothing there. No supports, the base just levitates. What's up with that?
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    I agree that we should be able to change elevation with the mousewheel, but the auto-terraforming is important so you don't get trapped in your base.
    "Hatch is blocked!" etc.

Also, start with a Corridor rather than a Foundation or Room. Corridors barely mess with the terrain.
  • CordeosCordeos Join Date: 2015-08-19 Member: 207293Members
    I agree that we should be able to change elevation with the mousewheel, but the auto-terraforming is important so you don't get trapped in your base.
    "Hatch is blocked!" etc.

Also, start with a Corridor rather than a Foundation or Room. Corridors barely mess with the terrain.

Especially for moonpools, I hate scraping the bottom of my seamoth every time I get in or out.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @Cordeos well the terraformer can help make that pit deeper. :)
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited August 2015
    The terra former helps, but it doesn't keep the pretty hand sculpted terrain intact, which is often a significant consideration when choosing a location for a new base. The game should auto-carve out terrain in situations where you're placing something in a closed area with little space, but not in areas where there is all kinds of room without disturbing the surrounding environment. I think the current implementation is probably a bug, but setting the height of structures would allow us to make much better designed bases that are seamlessly built around environmental landmarks.

Later on it would be nice to see a visual display of what terrain will be deformed when placing a structure as well (ie... shade the area red).

• SarnaathSarnaath SF, CA Join Date: 2015-07-31 Member: 206576Members
    I agree too. I find the moon pool difficult to place as it often snaps lower than I want and there's no way to to built it at a level consistent with the terrain.
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    I agree with using the mouse wheel to adjust the height of what you are placing. I know these mechanics are all still in flux. I dont see the devs leaving the moonpool on the ground digging out holes. The legs on the thing are extended to random lengths every time I return to base. I would also like to see ladder and moonpool rotation options. Currently the orientation of the moonpool and ladder are fixed to the orientation of the platform or the world depending on what you are using. I trust there will be much polishing of the mechanics to come.