Orbital satellite

Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
I'd like to see a mid-game tech ability to launch an orbital satellite (geo-stationary) over the area.
Initially, the satellite would provide a simplified overhead map to the player.
Later upgrades to the satellite would:
1. Increase fidelity/detail/type/depth of the scans
2. Provide warning of dangerous or interesting events - currently such events don't exist in SN
3. Communicate directly with the Aurora ship remotely - allowing for access to computers or activating dangerous operations
4. Remote monitoring of bases/generators/research/farming/etc., providing ability to check up on ongoing activities
5. Directed respawning (after death) to user-chosen location
6. Send SOS signal home (late game)

P.S. No KSP here -- just ability to build a satellite and launch it.

Comments

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Can we also tell it to drop uranium fuel rods on top of things?
  • PajamaJamsPajamaJams Boulder, CO Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207121Members
    Maybe we could have it also be able to be manually controlled. But one thing I'm not agreeing to is the SOS signals. What are you gonna do once you craft the satellite, send the SOS signal, and get home. That's end. The game is supposed to be an infinite game, where you're stuck on the planet for life. All is ok, just no SOS signals.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    PajamaJams wrote: »
    Maybe we could have it also be able to be manually controlled. But one thing I'm not agreeing to is the SOS signals. What are you gonna do once you craft the satellite, send the SOS signal, and get home. That's end. The game is supposed to be an infinite game, where you're stuck on the planet for life. All is ok, just no SOS signals.

You know it takes a while to travel through space, right?
  • IvanKeskaIvanKeska US Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207202Members
    edited August 2015

You know it takes a while to travel through space, right?

Well we aren't quite sure what level of tech for space travel this human civilization is at. Because they could be faster then light propulsion, could bend space around the ship, they might have wormhole generation capacity, or maybe this ship has been traveling for hundreds or thousands of years.
    Thou if it's the last one how sad is it that it got shot down, but if it's any other then well... it's just pathetic.

Anyways why make this a satellite? To construct a rocket able to break atomo and travel most likely over 30,000 km, is a pretty tall order. So why not say a high altitude balloon with a small engine to keep it in the same general area. Can provide the same stuff just without having to build a massive rocket using a lot of resources.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Another angle: Maybe the SOS signal will be blocked by a "mysterious force" emanating from the planet...pushing the plot back to the surface to find the source.
    Racer1 wrote: »
    Another angle: Maybe the SOS signal will be blocked by a "mysterious force" emanating from the planet...pushing the plot back to the surface to find the source.

Good idea. But, how are you going to find out what the source is if you're stuck on the alien planet. Maybe the ship has been traveling for several years/lightyears? Maybe home is way to far away? Also, in the intro, didn't they say the Aurora was a spacecraft sent to habitat another planet. That must mean Earth (or whatever the home planet is) is destroyed or not habitable anymore. Boom.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    You will still be able to communicate with the satellite -- and maybe it could triangulate the location. There is already lots of stuff coming from Tom regarding the "projectile" that caused the Aurora to crash in the first place. This could add another piece to the puzzle.
    Do you have a link to this information? I want to take a look at it.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    Racer1 wrote: »

Good idea. But, how are you going to find out what the source is if you're stuck on the alien planet. Maybe the ship has been traveling for several years/lightyears? Maybe home is way to far away? Also, in the intro, didn't they say the Aurora was a spacecraft sent to habitat another planet. That must mean Earth (or whatever the home planet is) is destroyed or not habitable anymore. Boom.

Umm... You realize that maybe the reason they're inhabiting other planets isn't because Earth isn't inhabitable, maybe it's just the natural human drive to expand? Maybe the issue back home isn't destruction, maybe it's overpopulation.