Should we be allowed to build on adult Reefbacks?

13»

Comments

• ElMonstroElMonstro Germany Join Date: 2016-08-21 Member: 221570Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    A Seabase is static. A Reefback is a mobile creature. Different entity types. Mashing them together won't work and adapting the engine to make it work isn't worth the resources just for a gimmick.

As a programmer, thats wrong.
    All there is todo, is defining the ground on the back of the Creature as building ground. Done.
    That it moves has absolutely no effect on the programming.
    Taming it as a controllable base would. But i dont like the idea of taming the wildlife in subnautica, so meh.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    ElMonstro wrote: »
    A Seabase is static. A Reefback is a mobile creature. Different entity types. Mashing them together won't work and adapting the engine to make it work isn't worth the resources just for a gimmick.

All there is todo, is defining the ground on the back of the Creature as building ground. Done.
    Taming it as a controllable base would. But i dont like the idea of taming the wildlife in subnautica, so meh.

That's not necessarily true, as we don't know how they've coded Seabases into the game. It seems more logical to me that they'd be totally static objects, however.
  • BENSKIBENSKI Join Date: 2016-08-07 Member: 221063Members
    edited August 2016
    Appliances, power generators, planters (perhaps already embodied within the Reefback itself) yes ... but not bases. It would require a complete rethink of the building system which would be highly problematic.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    HELL NO.

Like any other self-respecting Reefback, my first impulse would be to scrape off that unsightly titanium and glass wart somewhere deep inside Reaper territory. Those damn Terrans have an entire planet's ecosystems to build in, and yet they feel some passing fancy to needlessly encumber a poor bloody Reefback.

Congratulations. I now have to eat twice as much to muster enough energy to drag your crummy little shack through the water.
    It's not exactly streamlined, you know. :(

Bloody typical!
  • v497_vesperv497_vesper Join Date: 2016-08-21 Member: 221558Members
    edited August 2016
    I dislike the idea of building on the gentle giants of the subnautica ocean, if you were one of these creatures would YOU want to be built on? Besides it could potentiall kill the framerate as the game tries to render your base, the AI of the Reefbacks and their movement, and so on. It could potentially cause a massive Frame rate hit
  • OrnafulsameeOrnafulsamee Join Date: 2016-08-25 Member: 221707Members

That's not necessarily true, as we don't know how they've coded Seabases into the game. It seems more logical to me that they'd be totally static objects, however.

We can already build stuff inside the cyclops, which is not static, so why not consider the reefbacks the same as a cyclops and the bases like a fabricator (which a few exceptions like unable to build on unstable rocks and cyclops).
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members

We can already build stuff inside the cyclops, which is not static, so why not consider the reefbacks the same as a cyclops and the bases like a fabricator (which a few exceptions like unable to build on unstable rocks and cyclops).

Sure, we can build appliances and stuff in a Cyclops, but not corridors and MPR's. Those are probably static.
  • MrShinjunMrShinjun Join Date: 2016-09-05 Member: 222103Members
    Great, now ePETA is going to come in and fight for the lives of virtual animals. It's a video game folks! Video games are for fun, as it's the only place where we can do crazy stuff like fighting giant sea monsters. I for one like the idea of bigger reefbacks that have unique ecosystems on them, and I like the idea of being able to build on the reefback and live amongst that ecosystem.

People ride horses in real life and it's totally ok. An NPC gets shanked in GTA V and no bats an eye. Someone PROPOSES building on a giant jellyfish whale in a video game, and EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR MINDS!
  • CaptagearCaptagear Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221804Members
    edited September 2016
    I just think this would introduce too many questions and problems.
    1. You would have to put limitations on the amount you built, otherwise you end up with skyscrapers on them.
    2. You'd have to prevent the height they swim, lest you have the bases stick highly out of the water.
    3. Logically there is also weight and mobility issues for the creature itself
    4. It also brings up an entire list clipping, and problems regaurding spawning
    5. Lastly you limit the ability of the AI, limiting their migration through the world
    I'd so much prefer to see the reefbacks be their own biome, as see in the concept art. They have unique flora and fauna which migrate with them around the worldspace. Imagining large thick plants growing over thier backs.

Cheers Capta
  • ArtoriusArtorius Indiana USA Join Date: 2016-09-02 Member: 221998Members
    Just my humble opinion...but if a small base was allowed to be built on the reefback. Wouldn't that mean that the human and reefback and living in harmony as a symbiotic relationship?
  • JonnyGoldAppleJonnyGoldApple VA, USA Join Date: 2016-11-30 Member: 224375Members
    Has nobody thought about this: in the scan of the reefback it says that it basically has at least a meter of solid organic material on its back. I don't think it will mind if we DO drill into it. And if u don't want to, then don't.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    While it's a cool concept, do you see just how much they ram into things, get stuck on random geometry including each other, and tip and turn and fall all over the place?

It'd be a mess. Not only trying to build on them while they're doing their frantic topsyturvy dance, but when trying to track them down to get inside while its busily ramming some random pillar in the grassy plataues or making a trip to Reaper Land. I can imagine it'd be interesting to be walking on the walls/ceiling of your base while inside though, when the reefback decides it wants to spaz out and start flipping and rolling all over when you're trying to do something inside, and I don't even want to think about how it'd affect the moonpool...
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I don't think that's... I mean, it'd be cool, but bases seem like they would be a bit invasive / have a bit of side effects to the Reefback, not to mention, the Reefback might just decide to scratch it's back on the floating islands to get rid of some over-sized freeloading 'barnacles'...
  • wowwinkwowwink Merica Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224596Members
    Yes because it would be cool and like reef back hepis could grow on your base and parasites and stuff
  • alfred2020alfred2020 Join Date: 2016-12-07 Member: 224682Members
    yes but there should be special blueprints for it. a multipurpose room would seem unrealistic and possibly harmful to the reefback
  • CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    How about a module that lets you drive them around. Instead of building normal structures, just high capacity storage. but you have to grown them in a tank to do this.
  • wowwinkwowwink Merica Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224596Members
    CAPSHAW wrote: »
    How about a module that lets you drive them around. Instead of building normal structures, just high capacity storage. but you have to grown them in a tank to do this.

That's a good idea, but also make a DNA thing to do that
  • Austinlee2002Austinlee2002 Kingsport,TN Join Date: 2016-12-11 Member: 224824Members
    This would be very interesting