Joined a server running a classic mod, now movement is broken everywhere

PlethoracidPlethoracid Join Date: 2013-04-12 Member: 184774Members
As the title says, a few days ago I joined a server running a classic mod for a few minutes, and my movement has been stuck in "classic mode" ever since, no matter which server I'm on.
I've unsubscribed from all mods, completely deleted the NS2 folder in appdata, the NS2 folder in steamapps/common, the entire steam userdata folder, a bunch of other folders in the steam directory, and completely uninstalled and reinstalled NS2 multiple times, all to no avail.
Surely I can't be the only person to have experienced this, anyone have a fix?
Can provide my tech support zip if necessary but would obv rather avoid posting my computer's fingerprints publicly if possible.

Comments

• PlethoracidPlethoracid Join Date: 2013-04-12 Member: 184774Members
    How embarrassing, right after I posted I read this post: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131428/obbys-full-nuke-ns2-guide-only-way-to-be-sure
    The only thing I hadn't thought to try was restarting my PC, not something I ever really do unless something tells me I have to. Problem solved, but will leave my original post intact in case anyone else suffers the same issue.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    How do you mean your movement was stuck in "classic mode" ? As in bhop? And you were able to play like this in other non classic servers??? 0.0

Thanks for posting the solution that worked for you!
  • PlethoracidPlethoracid Join Date: 2013-04-12 Member: 184774Members
    edited September 2015
    Just felt really sluggish as it does in the classic mod, like trying to run through soup or something, and jumping felt like one of those dreams where you try to run but bounce really high every step and take forever to come back down. And yes, was stuck that way on every server I joined, really strange!
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2015
    Just felt really sluggish as it does in the classic mod, like trying to run through soup or something, and jumping felt like one of those dreams where you try to run but bounce really high every step and take forever to come back down. And yes, was stuck that way on every server I joined, really strange!

Do you think you would be able to upload a video for us please? If you use a 7xx series or above Nvidia GPU you can use ShadowPlay to record your session.

*EDIT* Nevermind completely forgot you already solved the issue, still heres some useful information about ShadowPlay :smiley:
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Increase your FOV in your options.. I put mine all the way up.
    Makes walljumping way easier imo
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2015
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Increase your FOV in your options.. I put mine all the way up.
    Makes walljumping way easier imo

Better yet, play on an ns2+ server. Set alien FOV to 20(max) and set marine FOV to 0(min).
    Why would you set marine fov to 0? I mean maybe if it's your first time playing, or to use for default.. but there's no harm in raising it.
    I play both with max :D Might take you a few minutes to get used to it, but afterwards you'll never want to go back.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why would you set marine fov to 0? I mean maybe if it's your first time playing, or to use for default.. but there's no harm in raising it.

Better aim with fov 0. Models appear bigger. 20 alien, 7 marine for me.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I play both with max :D Might take you a few minutes to get used to it, but afterwards you'll never want to go back.

I can't be the only one experiencing this as I used to run marine fov to 0 but did you ever get the feeling that it took you longer to run anywhere when its set to 0? Once it was cranked up to max i felt much faster navigating the map, of course this must be a placebo effect but just curious if anyone else felt the same
    edited September 2015
    @Yojimbo YUP! The game feels sooo slow with a FOV of 0.

Funny story, we were once running the PAX booth and received a patch while there. We updated every computer before the show opened.. but the alien movement was SOOOO sluggish.
    We called the office, asked what was changed etc.. couldn't figure it out, but were certain that it felt horribly sluggish and something was wrong. No one there could even wallhop

Ended up being that the FOV had defaulted to lower than it should have. Was a quick fix before anyone got to play at least.

@SantaClaws If one needs bigger targets in cramped corridors like NS2, then competitive shooters may not be for them. ;) I don't know any competitive fps player who advocates for less FOV.. its just less information to act on, sometimes nauseating, and in NS2's case negatively impacts the ease in remaining mobile. Do you really use 0??
    @Yojimbo YUP! The game feels sooo slow with a FOV of 0.

Funny story, we were once running the PAX booth and received a patch while there. We updated every computer before the show opened.. but the alien movement was SOOOO sluggish.
    We called the office, asked what was changed etc.. couldn't figure it out, but were certain that it felt horribly sluggish and something was wrong. No one there could even wallhop

Ended up being that the FOV had defaulted to lower than it should have. Was a quick fix before anyone got to play at least.

@SantaClaws If one needs bigger targets in cramped corridors like NS2, then competitive shooters may not be for them. ;) I don't know any competitive fps player who advocates for less FOV.. its just less information to act on, sometimes nauseating, and in NS2's case negatively impacts the ease in remaining mobile. Do you really use 0??

Does this mean fish run faster than marines then?
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow

I reject the claim that you have less information. Most of the information I get during a game, is not from the visual fov - it's from looking at the map, keeping count of players and positions and perhaps most importantly sound.

I put myself in positions where I can not be ambushed and where I don't need the full range of view.

It's not about me "needing bigger targets" - any little advantage counts in accumulation. If I were to reject all possible advantages because they're "not needed" or "not important in the grand scheme of things", I think that would have a sizable impact in performance in the end. As it stands, I find that low fov has much more sizable positive impacts than many other popular settings, in my experience.

No I don't use fov 0 I use 7.
    edited September 2015
    You have more information on your screen, 20 degrees worth of more information - highly useful when attempting to bite an object in front of you that quickly moves out of the way in micro seconds.
    (or being able to more easily see the wall that you are jumping off of)
    If you've developed behavior or play style that lessens your dependency on needing to track enemies near the edge of your screen, then good for you but I think that's a tall order for the average player.

I respect that what works for you works, because I know what works for me works. ;)
    To each their own
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2015
    You have more information on your screen, 20 degrees worth of more information - highly useful when attempting to bite an object in front of you that quickly moves out of the way in micro seconds.
    (or being able to more easily see the wall that you are jumping off of)
    If you've developed behavior or play style that lessens your dependency on needing to track enemies near the edge of your screen, then good for you but I think that's a tall order for the average player.

I respect that what works for you works, because I know what works for me works. ;)
    To each their own
    You gave primarily alien examples when we both say we play alien with 20fov, and marine with less than 20fov.

All I know is playing with a larger FOV gives me more of a peripheral advantage at the expense of smaller models to aim for, this however is compensated with a lower mouse sensitivity so everyone's a winner :)
    @Nordic He said 7, not 20 ;)

And I dont just use high FOV as a marine, I also use it in arena shooters
    I am a high sensitivity mouse player
    Nordic wrote: »
    I am a highly sensitive player

FTFY