H2.0 update and savegames

Rodrigo_MartinezRodrigo_Martinez Join Date: 2015-09-28 Member: 208202Members
Hi there!

Would I have to start a new game after H2.0 update? Would old saves be fully compatible with H2.0 update?

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    It's not worth investing too much time in saves unless you play in the standard branch, even then you get a reset every 4 weeks or so currently with updates. Making too many things you care enough about to save is not such a good idea in this early phase of development :)
  • Rodrigo_MartinezRodrigo_Martinez Join Date: 2015-09-28 Member: 208202Members
    I just thought about building a couple of bases in different bioms to have a comfortable place to check the changes after every update. But it seems I should rather learn how to speedbuild a sub.
  • paradineparadine usa Join Date: 2015-09-18 Member: 208004Members
    It would be nice if the devs could make it so the saves would carry over to the new updates so we don't have to start over every time.
    Also I forgot to mention I have been following them on "Trello" and think that the updates could be released much more frequently if they split them up into smaller sections. For example the current H2.0 update could be a 2 or 3 part update because of how much they are doing. The first part (if they were going to split it up) is ready now (at least I think it is). I think that the devs are doing so much for each update that they could almost release one every week (even if it is just background fixes that we don't really see so long as they put a posting up to let us know what the update is).
  • Warpig1331Warpig1331 Ohio Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207951Members
    paradine wrote: »
    Also I forgot to mention I have been following them on "Trello" and think that the updates could be released much more frequently if they split them up into smaller sections. For example the current H2.0 update could be a 2 or 3 part update because of how much they are doing. The first part (if they were going to split it up) is ready now (at least I think it is). I think that the devs are doing so much for each update that they could almost release one every week (even if it is just background fixes that we don't really see so long as they put a posting up to let us know what the update is).

You have to remember there are those that play on the 'stable' side of things. They don't want to release updates too fast to the point of the game seeming broken. There is more that goes into it then just the work of making the new stuff. If you are playing on 'stable' then you probably don't know what i mean. On experimental mode for awhile you got stuck in the Cyclops if you tried driving it and couldn't leave the wheel, or like how the seaglide is messed up now where it is stuck being held in the middle of the screen.

Imagine getting the game that you just spent money on and are playing it for the first time and soon notice all these things. Yes, It is Alpha but it might leave a sour taste for the player and turn them off to the game.
    I was meaning for them to keep with the stable stuff v experimental stuff. All I meant is that while they release the experimental stuff very often they could release the stuff that is stable (like the visual only stuff) every week. For example there is a lot of stuff that is not implemented in the game that could be just by changing 1 or 2 lines of code so we can build it.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    When I installed the Seamoth update and tried to load a game save made pre-Seamoth, there was a message that came up pointing out that though you could play that save game, not everything may show as intended in the new update. It was recommended that you start a new game to get the full effect. Am I the only one that got that message? If that is the case for the Seamoth update then I'm sure it'll be the same for every update until the game is officially released.
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited September 2015
    paradine wrote: »
    It would be nice if the devs could make it so the saves would carry over to the new updates so we don't have to start over every time.

Actually this is a huge concern for the UWE team... They want to ensure saves carry over to new updates, I'm a playtester and we ensure to run through stable builds to the latest release candidate before patch to make sure there are no major bugs, some things will slip through, we aint perfect.
    Myrm wrote: »
    When I installed the Seamoth update and tried to load a game save made pre-Seamoth, there was a message that came up pointing out that though you could play that save game, not everything may show as intended in the new update. It was recommended that you start a new game to get the full effect. Am I the only one that got that message? If that is the case for the Seamoth update then I'm sure it'll be the same for every update until the game is officially released.

Yea, usually if there is terrain changes I believe this applies to 'not everything may show', everything else should update! You wouldn't want your base wiped out by a terrain update- so those tend to only 'update' when you make a new game
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I usually start a new save when the game asks me to.
    I lost many pretty bases that way, but thats what happens on early access experimental builds. :)

But older saves usually do work, just... different.
    I agree with the "not wiping out stuff" every time we get a new update. But I was wondering, since the bases and all their parts "remove" terrain when they are placed and finished, why not have them do the same to the new terrain. This could be done as part of the save file update that takes place when we load it.