Anti-cheat / dealing with hackers

124»

Comments

• AkiraSpringAkiraSpring Estonia Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189314Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    HarmoniusZ wrote: »
    Looking how easily you made the trick only makes me thinking that you'd do a lot more to boost your ego playing the game and another "I was not using it all the time"-story is waiting round the corner.

You just bullied another human being until he left the game. Do you realize this? Do you realize what scum you are? I've been quiet for too long, it ends today. You're getting a Reddit thread made about you kid.

• Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members

You just bullied another human being until he left the game. Do you realize this? Do you realize what scum you are? I've been quiet for too long, it ends today. You're getting a Reddit thread made about you kid.

Lamb didn't leave ns2 right!?!?!?!?!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    You know, yesterday I had the privilege to quite literally play in two different scenarios...

I've played a few rounds on a server with players much better than me and I still enjoyed it because of the much bigger challenge to try and take em on. We lost all rounds, but that doesn't change the fact it was still fun...

Then I joined a server with lower skilled players and noticed I was the almighty master with surgical shotgun and rifle kills... After I completely destroyed a fade and two skulks... I felt I simply had to take a step back as to not completely ruin their experience. So I stepped into a support roll by Ramboing towards areas to save (as per commander @DC_Darkling's orders :P ), and let the team do their thing.

But never would I accuse people who are simply better than me as hackers, unless there is indeed proof. Maybe it is my mindset of always seeing the positive side of things, but damn those who blame it on hacking with absolutely no proof and also thinking you do not have the burden of proof... That just makes you an arrogant poopyhead...

However it does go both ways, superior players should not go and ruin lesser skilled players their experience. Games should in the first instance be fun, especially in the public realm. Of course we want competition, but I've always said on a level playing field the game is much more interesting and enjoyable for both the skilled player and newbies... Communicate with each other instead of yelling or accusing, seems more productive right :D

/rant mode off

In short prove it before blabbering about hackusations...
  • BabblerKingBabblerKing Join Date: 2015-07-12 Member: 206120Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Games should in the first instance be fun, especially in the public realm.

Now ban yourself. Because that opinion is not allowed here.

• SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Kouji_San - Alright fine, but what about this.

A likely scenario of a player with a big elo - is that he gets put on the weaker team, often the one stacked with rookies. I don't even have very big elo btw, I'm just playing advocate here.

I get it, if marines are holding the majority of the map against a majority rookie team, maybe dial it down a peg, or do as I like to; leave the server.

But what if the opponents are dominating the map? Are you supposed to let them slowly strangle your team of stacked rookies, in the name of "fun"? Fun for who?

No. I will go in to their hive and carry my team, even if that means spawn fragging, and allow my team to recap the map. I will snipe those higher lifeforms, that my team mates simply don't otherwise have the tools to deal with.

Because if you don't do this. Your team is going to have a bad time. They will be stomped.

It would be awesome if you could somehow adjust your own skill to only carry the exact right amount that gives you fair games every time, but it isn't that easy.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2015
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Games should in the first instance be fun, especially in the public realm.

Now ban yourself. Because that opinion is not allowed here.

fine :'(

@SantaClaws

I don't mean don't do anything against the enemy team. But don't stomp them, of course if they are playing badly they should get punished, by either killing them (completely ruining their Fade/Onos :D) or showing them they are too easy to damage and perhaps "let them go" and if they keep doing that kill em. There are plenty of things you can do to stop the enemy team's advance if you are a lot more skilled vs them. That's what I meant by ramboing to areas to bleed their team from resources, upgrades (ninja into hive).

You know weaken their team so you can push forward, no need for spawn camping either if you are indeed carrying the team you can do that in other ways. Save your team mates from enemy pushes, weld them, focus fire on bigger targets and tell them to do the same. Lead by example instead of just going in and killing everything without dragging your own team into the battle.

That kind of thing, like I said you can bleed an enemy team from their stranglehold on the map by doing guerilla tactics if you vastly outclass them. If the teams are even, that's where the game shines and you can play the usual tried and true way, but if you are pubstarring, this game kinda forces you into leading by example mostly because people have so much invested into their lifeforms and weapons. Other games which do not have this investment into time/resources are much less prone to this pubstomp/rage inducing thing. But this is NS2, which is very susceptible to this kind of thing and we should take care as to not kill the populous by taking their fun away...

The game is already hard to get into, let's not make it harder by leaving craters where newbies used to live

Of course players who aren't that good and are making stupid mistakes should be punished for their mistakes so they learn, but they should not pubstomped.

/offtopic mode kinda but hey this topic is already weird :tongue:
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    edited November 2015
    Aye, its hard to dial down versus rookies, but its not entirely impossible.

As a commander I send my way to veteran players on suicide missions, which still gain benefit either way. (they dont die, objective destroyed.. or they die and made a good diversion.) Thats all down to timing. (account for the slow movement of rookies.)
    For a player you just tone down stuff. My best weapon is a shotgun at the moment, so vs to rookie players I just dont use it.
    Destroying them as alien? Dont make it worse by picking a lifeform you dont suck at.

Tell them what to do, hell even stop dodging the last step. How often I shot a fade to a inch of its live and then stopped dodging, because it would mean making the absolute green rookie flash his fade 15seconds in.
    Just tell them what they do wrong etc.

I fully agree people shout cheater way to fast, and its not something I stand for.
    Proof or get out.
    Im all for helping and protecting rookies, but im also for protecting vets. The fun goes both ways.

ps.. why did we never friend up on steam yet @kouji_san :P
    ps.. why did we never friend up on steam yet @kouji_san :P

Don't we hate each other or something, otherwise I dunno :trollface:
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    My solution to the whole skill level issue?

I think it is perfectly obvious, it has been done so effectively before, and I think the pro community would love it....

Critical Hits
    Run @Soul_Rider... Run my friend, run very far very fast... It's been a pleasure doing business with you sir 15.gif
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Lol might as well bring back location based damage while you are at it
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Onos nut-shots. Accuracy goes up to 70% on pub players.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    lussebull wrote: »

got bullied too hard, had to leave.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    Lamb wrote: »

b

Thats a shame realy... Any way we can win you back?
    Change nickname to sheep mabey.
    Join the mature servers and be a playtester mabey?
    edited November 2015
    Lamb wrote: »

b

Thats a shame realy... Any way we can win you back?
    Change nickname to sheep mabey.
    Join the mature servers and be a playtester mabey?

He can't be playtester, 1 vs 17 isn't testing cause that would be the only way to balance the gameplay testing rounds :tongue:

Nah really sucks @Lamb, it just too bad we don't have the playerbase right now to properly have servers up with full time admins to prevent this bullcrap :(