GAME SIZE!

SPIRIN1224SPIRIN1224 Moon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203469Members
edited December 2015 in Ideas and Suggestions
I have been noticing lately that the game files are increasingly big, looking through files I see just a lot of (junk) not like that, I'm not an expert, but I think you could combine game files/assets. Maybe look through and try to compress just a little.

Only have 60gb with of memory, and Subanutica is about 8gb right now, soon to be 12+ after H.20 Update!!!

thoughts, comments, (DEVS Especially)

@Hugh

Comments

• LordDerpLordDerp Netherlands Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207871Members
    TBH, 8 GB (and 12GB as well) are still pretty small for modern games. I for instance have multiple games exceeding the 20gb on my harddrive.
    Harddrives (especially the 1TB ones) are pretty cheap these days, can't you save up for a new one?
  • RevivedShadowRevivedShadow Australia Join Date: 2015-07-28 Member: 206468Members
    I think they will clean the files up later. Now it is not a priority
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2015
    8gb is nothing today! Just cause 3 is 50GB and GTA 5 is 84GB
    If that is an SSD, you should stick a 1TB hard-drive in there then, they have gotten plenty cheap US$50~ for 1TB
  • SPIRIN1224SPIRIN1224 Moon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203469Members
    edited December 2015
    Going though times man, besides having to plug in a big hard drive and carrying that everywhere with me is not very feasible!

P.S. where can you find those 50$ 1tb at?

P.P.S Also it is just a suggestion, if it is feasible it is good to "clean" out old files and junk files.

It's not a big deal, beside thats why I went on the forum, to get everyones opinion! :)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2015
    You could also look into cleaning up your system files, that tends to eat up a lot of Gb's as well.

Right Click on you HDD -> Properties, General tab click Disk Cleanup

wait for that to finish scanning

Then click the "clean system files" button, which will ask you to use administrator mode (the usual "allow this to make changes to the system question")

wait for that to finish scanning again...

Now you will have two more options to clean:
    - Service Pack Backup Files
    - Windows Update Cleanup

Removing these will also remove your restore points, if you've made any... I never use that, but if you do... That is basically what this does. They do tend to eat up a lot of GB's, 15-30Gb in some cases...

So it's a tossup, do you want those restore points or do you want space. Your call :D
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2015
    SPIRIN1224 wrote: »
    Going though times man, besides having to plug in a big hard drive and carrying that everywhere with me is not very feasible!

P.S. where can you find those 50$ 1tb at?

P.P.S Also it is just a suggestion, if it is feasible it is good to "clean" out old files and junk files.

It's not a big deal, beside thats why I went on the forum, to get everyones opinion! :)

Newegg.com saw some yesterday, quite a bit for 50 some refurbished for 30! http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=1tb&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Also, it's a good idea to delete your son savedata folder.. I had 400+ saves or some crop and it was like 8gb, (I'm a tester so I have Lotta saves usually)
    edited December 2015
    cool but 400+, man thats a lot.

also
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    You could also look into cleaning up your system files, that tends to eat up a lot of Gb's as well.

Right Click on you HDD -> Properties, General tab click Disk Cleanup

wait for that to finish scanning

Then click the "clean system files" button, which will ask you to use administrator mode (the usual "allow this to make changes to the system question")

wait for that to finish scanning again...

Now you will have two more options to clean:
    - Service Pack Backup Files
    - Windows Update Cleanup

Removing these will also remove your restore points, if you've made any... I never use that, but if you do... That is basically what this does. They do tend to eat up a lot of GB's, 15-30Gb in some cases...

So it's a tossup, do you want those restore points or do you want space. Your call :D

Running mac, sorry :)
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    If you're having trouble with memory, just buy an 8GB flash drive (they're pretty cheap). Plug it in, should bring up a window. Click on "Boost System Speed" and click okay, and you have about 4gb more RAM to work with. Until you unplug the drive.
  • paradineparadine usa Join Date: 2015-09-18 Member: 208004Members
    you can also get external 1tb drives from walmart (if you use usb3.0 then it won't be slowed down)
    edited December 2015
    making the rounds @paradine :)

just decided this thread is on getting the game smaller, not getting bigger storage, although I appreciate the help! :)

Oh yeah, plugin ram would be ****@&(#&!@&$*^&*@(!^$Y&$#@*!$^(*! AWESEOME!!!!

Where...
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    With new models and content getting added, I'd be surprised if this came in under 15gb when finished, although I honestly expect something more in the 20gb range.