Fade Matchups - Lack of

FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
One if the coolest and most e-sports part of ns competitive was looking at the matchup of two team's fades. What happened to that?

I mean, I understand that the game was more built toward opening options to people to do what they please in a round, but I so miss that.

Wouldn't acceptance of separate games modes solve this? Anyone have any thoughts similar potential game elements?

Comments

• CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ehmm you mean fade vs fade combat or what?
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited December 2015
    Well, in NS1 there was 1 fade per team. There simply wasn't enough resources to go around to have more, and you wouldn't really make it there without a lerk.

So before big matches, people would discuss each teams fade a lot since it was so important. It was something that made it feel more like a real sport. Like pitching matchups in baseball, and goalie matchups in hockey.
  • IxianIxian Denmark Join Date: 2014-03-16 Member: 194783Members, Squad Five Blue
    Hmm... In competitive it is still very important to have proper lifeforms, and lifeforms such as lerks are the most important at the moment. However there are so many things that plays into competitive gameplay. Opening splits, Opening engagements, Gorge?, Resbiting, Flashes?, rotations, buildorder, defence or trade?. The level of team gameplay has fallen a bit since Legendary Snails, Titus and Saunamen split up, and the compertition fell so drasticly with 2eZ/DiY (who had an impossible time just practicing because noone wanted to play them). Powerplays in the big matches are generally not there. Tactics weigh in alot heavier on the top matches, as the high skill level of players otherwise cannot be utilised properly.

So to ansver your question; The fade-matchups havent really been replaced, as the game has moved from a kind of single player focus to teamwork heavy focus. There are still different playstyles out there of fades, f.ex. Rantologie's jumping ceiling fade, or Spring's dont-miss-a-single-swipe fade, so you can go bonkers discussing which is superior if you'd like.

Or you can start discussing the marine buildorders. The American fast A2, or the French 3/1 or pg or the russian 2/2 GL/JP. Plenty of match-ups to find out there. Or how titus vs snails dealt with resbiters. They are however alot more hidden and harder to notice than a single player going fade.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, Lerks are pretty much the new fade atm in skill ceiling, cost effectiveness, and killing potential.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Yeah, Lerks are pretty much the new fade atm in skill ceiling, cost effectiveness, and killing potential.

Skill? If the game was accurate in terms of "flying physical laws" and Regs'; maybe.
    But in that case no Lerk would ever dare to get in a big room if one marine is inside.
    Right now, any Lerk goes for the first bite and then turn 180°, bite, 180° bite... the netcode/lag/engine does the rest.
    I even seen myself land a bite facing north while the marine was behind me (south). Then he died... "Lawl" as they say.

• TaneTane Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32441Members, Constellation
    edited December 2015
    Actually, in NS1 two fast fades was status quo tactic till 3.2. However, in 3.2. clans started to focus on fast chambers or one extra RT while sacrificing that one fast fade. I do agree with the sentiment that NS2 has lost something in this regard but it's not about fades, it's about skill ceiling. In NS1 you never reached that ceiling, in NS2 I hit my head to that ceiling after one month of playing the game. NS1 just gave so much more tools personal skill wise than NS2. Higher skill ceiling lead different playstyles and because there were so much to learn even the best players had flaws. Im am first to admit that while I was one the best fades gamesense wise my movement wasn't that good and that was my flaw. In NS2 fade movement is so easy that there isn't really anything to separate fades but little details. Marko said me once that he could recognize me, wltrs and morphz (probably three all time greatest players of NS, well, at least wltrs and morphz) by our playstyles without seeing our names. For example I was most aggressive player from us and I used so called "double crouch jump" much more than my rivals and I actually had own dodge movement against fades that no other player even used. On the other hand NS2 emphasize teamwork more than NS1, and that is good thing, but in my opinion both teamwork and high skill ceiling can live together. There are no big players in NS2, only big teams.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited December 2015
    @Tane Well put in regard to the big teams not big players (and my 13-15 year old memory mah be hazy on the strats so thanks for clarity.) In NS1 you could tell who the skulk bunnyhopping at you was, that's freaking awesome.

But yea, loving specific players on any team in any sport is what makes people diehard fans. It just doesn't happen without the individual love.

I'm a big NY Rangers fan and part of what I love most about going to games and just is chanting Zuuuuuuc for Zuccarello and Henrik for Lundqvist. It's important. And Potvin sucks.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2015
    If you made a mod and didnt care about money you can implement whatever you want.
    But if you have an company wich need to sell the game so the Dev-Crew can pay there bills, you need to find a way to simplify things to attract more players.
    And i think UWE did well here.

NS1 was a good game. It was far from perfect like many mentioned it here, but it was good.
    But you cant sell a game like NS1 today. It had so many design issues you dont remember anymore with your ""everything was better in the past" view.

NS2 is still hard to learn for the most players, thats why there is a current disscussion about simplifying it.
    Bro, open worlds are all the rage breh.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Frozen wrote: »
    Bro, open worlds are all the rage breh.

New NS2 will have crafting, so you go to the armory and build your shotgun/mines out of scrap metal and resources you collect directly from harvesters or extractors.