Microphone not working

72U1172U11 Spain Join Date: 2014-01-08 Member: 192810Members
edited January 2016 in Technical Support
Hello, I have a big problem with this game. My microphone doesn't work.

It's enabled on the device manager, enabled on Windows recording devices as the default device, enabled on Steam settings as the audio input device, and it works fine outside the game. Why doesn't it work in this game? It's a USB webcam microphone.

Comments

• FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    If windows can see it as a device the game should be able to. Have you selected the correct device in the NS2 menu? The default key for team voice chat is Left Alt, the commander has a different bind, but you can set it to the same key.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    See whether the sound options menu in NS2 shows your device.

I HAVE heard of issues with webcam / ps4 webcam mics not working in game before, though, with zero solutions.
  • 72U1172U11 Spain Join Date: 2014-01-08 Member: 192810Members
    Ok, didn't realize you could set the device manually in the options menu, although like I said this is my default device, and I don't have any others. Will try tomorrow and see if selecting it manually works.

I'm using a PS3 Eye, btw. But I'm not sure why that would make a difference. The microphone works without problem.
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Google CL-Eye test, may solve your problems.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Yea, Playstation Eye mics don't work in a plethora of games.. I once read some explanation of why, and it was lengthy.
    *shrug* Mics are cheap, tho.. really really cheap.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ
    This is cheap at $7.50. If you turn the boost up to 30db in the windows settings it will sound great. It works with any pair of headphones.
    Manually selecting it didn't work. :/

The only reason I'm using the PS3 Eye's microphone is because both my headset's microphone and my regular microphone stopped working. Obviously I can always buy another one, but I shouldn't have to because the PS3 Eye's works and I use it on other games without issues. I really don't understand why it doesn't work in this game, it's so disappointing...
    edited January 2016
    IronHorse wrote: »
    https://codelaboratories.com/forums/viewreply/1915/

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110627170207AAa08iw

A little bit of google fu shows the common issues with it; related to drivers.

The microphone works for me with the standard Windows USB driver, just fine. Shows up in the device manager and everything. The first link you posted is a guy quoting a guy saying that it doesn't work for him properly with the CL (a third party) driver. The second link you posted is a guy saying that it doesn't work for him without the CL driver.
    edited January 2016
    If the microphone works on both Windows and Steam, it should in-game. The problem is the game, stop trying to pin it on me and telling me to buy a new microphone or pay for a third party driver that probably won't solve anything, since the driver is meant for the camera and not the microphone. Again, the microphone works, it doesn't need a driver (beyond the Windows one), and like I said that CL driver is for the camera, not the microphone.
    72U11 wrote: »
    The problem is the game, stop trying to pin it on me

I am not.

I am telling you that the PS Eye mic has never worked in NS2.*

And while I'll report it.. it's incredibly low priority, and as such you should probably just buy a real mic instead of waiting for a fix.

* OR try that solution mentioned in that link above, dating back before the game was even released.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2016
    If the microphone works on both Windows and Steam, it should in-game. The problem is the game, stop trying to pin it on me and telling me to buy a new microphone or pay for a third party driver that probably won't solve anything, since the driver is meant for the camera and not the microphone. Again, the microphone works, it doesn't need a driver (beyond the Windows one), and like I said that CL driver is for the camera, not the microphone.

If you can afford a computer to run this game you can afford a nice cheap microphone which you can use for all other games aside from NS2, just buy a microphone dude, this game has bigger priorities at the moment than to find a fix for an aging piece of hardware that was designed for console use anyway. Sorry to be frank but it's true.
    Ok, I decided to buy one because there are other games that have issues with it, too. At first I thought it was only NS2, but I checked and it's true for others.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ok, I decided to buy one because there are other games that have issues with it, too. At first I thought it was only NS2, but I checked and it's true for others.

Well that solves that then
    The problem is the game, stop trying to pin it on me and telling me to buy a new microphone

What could you have done differently here?