Some things do not fit well with the theme

DefectiveDelfinDefectiveDelfin Planet earth Join Date: 2015-07-19 Member: 206262Members
Well,after i took a look at the new planters,i realised that they did not really fit in with the theme,with all the high tech items,the planters seem almost Too mundane.

195?cb=20151123162828

I feel the the wall planters are okay but the ground and outdoor ones seem so mundane.So how about adding a glass top for the indior planter and maybe making the outdoor planter more like in the concept art.

20150927_SN_News_HydroponicsConcept_Small.jpg

That fits in with the style perfectly,with the sterile sleek theme,whereas the outdoor and indoor planter seem much more simple and boring.

Oh and one more thing,does anyone know if we will get the Aquarium room with the bulkheads and stalker?Im extremely excited for an aquarium that can keep large fish like stalkers and the aquarium room fits that perfectly.

20150927_SN_News_Aquarium_Large.jpg

Comments

• TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    It won't be long until we can keep stalkers in the aquarium. EverynightxRIOT did a nice video showing how you'll be able to hatch predators in captivity:

I agree about the planters.
  • DefectiveDelfinDefectiveDelfin Planet earth Join Date: 2015-07-19 Member: 206262Members
    It won't be long until we can keep stalkers in the aquarium. EverynightxRIOT did a nice video showing how you'll be able to hatch predators in captivity:

I agree about the planters.

Yup i watched that.Does Riot have a forum account?He doesnt seen like the type of guy who goes into forums.

And yup,the planters are literally boxes.No fancy plugs,plating or literally anything else.its just a fancy box.Adding a glass roof for the interior planter would be a HUGE improvement.
  • MrappbrainMrappbrain United States Join Date: 2016-02-14 Member: 213008Members
    Also, while we're on the subject of farming, anyone know when the farming update will be? Stable peasant here.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    Mrappbrain wrote: »
    Also, while we're on the subject of farming, anyone know when the farming update will be? Stable peasant here.

https://trello.com/b/KbugnSRJ/subnautica-roadmap

suppose to be sometime this month
  • DefectiveDelfinDefectiveDelfin Planet earth Join Date: 2015-07-19 Member: 206262Members
    edited February 2016
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    Now thats done, i would like to ask,is the large special room aquarium still coming?I Love that idea of bulkheads and havibg large fish like stalkers in your base.Thanks in advance!

Given that the Large Aquariums are currently in the experimental build, I think it's safe to say that yes, they're coming, just hold your horses.
    edited February 2016
    "Why would a glass roof be necessary or desirable for an indoor planter? The plants that go inside are air plants, adding glass covering them up would just add to the complexity of taking care of them. The reason the ones in that original concept had glass is because those were hydroponic chambers, housing water plants, so the glass was needled to hold the water for them to grow in.

Also a glass roof makes it trickier to accommodate all the different sizes of plants that can be planted. Just because it's the future, it doesn't mean everything needs to be over engineered just to look fancy."
    -Squeal_like_a_Pig

(I messed up the BB code and i dont know how to fix it so....)

Well i do agree about the size concerns but wont there be a special room or something for the larger plants?I dont rhink the larger trees and bushes would fit well in the planters.Anyways,to address your points,

1)Its a video game.Just give a reason like "The glass over it is to keep contaminants like harmful bacteria away while built in Air recyclers and Artificial lights speed up the normal growth rates of the plants."This could explain plants growing faster and such.

2)Everything does not have to look fancy,i was trying to say that it looks a bit too simple in this game.For example,when every object in the game is complicated,sleek and has a certain style to it,a box just doesnt fit in with the rest of the objects.Just a generic Glass cover over it can make it look High-Tech.

3)Size concerns,now thats a real issue,so how about a special room that has built in Large planters for the larger plants?The small planters could be for the smaller plants like mushrooms and the like while the big planters are sort of like aquariums but with large plants in them.It doesnt really make sense to be able to plant giant plants with the smaller ones in a small box.Likewise,you could have the small water tanks hold small plants while the outdoor planters hold larger plantsm

Now thats done, i would like to ask,is the large special room aquarium still coming?I Love that idea of bulkheads and being able to keep large fish like stalkers in your base.Thanks in advance![/quote]

• destroyah87destroyah87 Join Date: 2015-08-08 Member: 206913Members
    I'll second what Squeal_Like_A_Pig said, planters don't need to look fancy or high tech just for the sake of looking high-tech.

After all, they are literally a 4-sided container open on the top, filled with dirt. It's not like there's much very high tech about a box of dirt.

Looking at the picture above, and with the caveat that I've not played the experimental build, those look fine to me. The material of the sides looks like it would match the seabase construction fine.
  • ZetlinZetlin Join Date: 2016-02-01 Member: 212463Members
    Everyone's talking about the glass roofs and I just want to know whether those bulkhead door things are still in. They look more stable than just mounting a hatch onto it.
  • JacaraJacara Washington Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205391Members
    Zetlin wrote: »
    Everyone's talking about the glass roofs and I just want to know whether those bulkhead door things are still in. They look more stable than just mounting a hatch onto it.

Also what about adding one to the base as well...seems odd that I can open a single hatch and not flood the base lol
  • LeakingAmpsLeakingAmps Join Date: 2016-02-03 Member: 212527Members
    Jacara wrote: »
    Zetlin wrote: »

Also what about adding one to the base as well...seems odd that I can open a single hatch and not flood the base lol

Yeah, that's always bothered me. I've tried to come up with a few reasons, but I couldn't come up with anything that held up to any kind of reason. Hopefully it's updated in the future.