Stalkers are much quieter - Bug or Feature?

AshkaelAshkael USA Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213106Members
So Since the farming update I've had the pants scared off of me several times by Stalkers sneaking up on me. This almost never happened in H2.0 as they made lots of noise as they came after me. At first I thought it was a bug, but then I remembered something... They're called "Stalkers" right? Maybe their nearly silent hunting methods are intentional. Either way, it makes them a much more fearsome opponent.

Comments

• Mr357Mr357 Join Date: 2015-03-31 Member: 202777Members
    I would think that they're meant to be sneaky, but we might see a toning down of their aggressiveness in the future. Many people, myself included, want them to only attack if you mess with their metal or swim through "their turf."
  • tommywaitsytommywaitsy Australia Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213641Members
    Agreed! I just started a new hardcore game and a stalker came and sniffed me out inside a cave, far away from kelp! I was chomped down to 50% health in a blink! Seems like they are not just better, more silent hunters, they are also ranging further from their habitat. I think it's a good thing. A more dangerous ocean is a more exciting ocean =) ... But yeah, maybe their aggressiveness could be different in the different modes of the game. I like sneaky stalkers for hardcore.
  • DumaDuma Oklahoma Join Date: 2016-02-02 Member: 212475Members
    Agreed! I just started a new hardcore game and a stalker came and sniffed me out inside a cave, far away from kelp! I was chomped down to 50% health in a blink! Seems like they are not just better, more silent hunters, they are also ranging further from their habitat. I think it's a good thing. A more dangerous ocean is a more exciting ocean =) ... But yeah, maybe their aggressiveness could be different in the different modes of the game. I like sneaky stalkers for hardcore.

I have noticed this as well. Far outside of their ""turf". That being said though. Prior to the farming update I remember seeing them in places that I normally didn't stop. Specifically the big ridges right as you hit the floating island biome.
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    I got ambushed by a Stalker as well. I was gathering resources and scans on the edge of a Kelp Forest when one of them attacked me from behind. There was NO warning cry.

So far, it was one occurrence.
  • HrondirHrondir US Join Date: 2016-03-02 Member: 213715Members
    edited March 2016
    I think it's a good thing. A more dangerous ocean is a more exciting ocean =)

I partially agree with this. I've been playing hardcore for quite awhile now because it's the only way I feel any sense of tension in this game. Even then the only time I'm ever really worried is when I'm near reaper territory w/o my cyclops. A more dangerous ocean would be welcome but I don't personally think it should be the stalkers making it dangerous. The majority of the time I've played the stalkers seem more territorial than predatory, at least towards humans. You can even tame them temporarily. I'd rather see Bone sharks become the most common predator. Stalkers seem like they kinda fit the alien role of the moray eel. Dangerous sure, but not something you're likely to be killed by if you're careful. Bone sharks seem like the reef sharks, one of the most likely things to kill you when swimming. On top of that, they just sound so eerie.