Cyclops Solar Panel Upgrade

DefectiveDelfinDefectiveDelfin Planet earth Join Date: 2015-07-19 Member: 206262Members
Since we are now unable to place solar panels on the cyclops,could we get a cyclops solar panel upgrade?

Every chip would equal to 2 solar panels.This could help the cyclops actually be a reliable mobile base.It makes the player choose between a mobile base or a deep sea explorer.

Also,could upgrades be more unique?Not like 50% faster speed but like Scanner camera upgrades or Solar charger upgrades.E.g the swimcharge fins.

Comments

• BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    I'd prefer a fusion reactor for the Cyclops.

Plenty of seawater to use as fuel.
  • DefectiveDelfinDefectiveDelfin Planet earth Join Date: 2015-07-19 Member: 206262Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    I'd prefer a fusion reactor for the Cyclops.

Plenty of seawater to use as fuel.

Yes.They are also adding an incinerator to burn your items as fuel to power the cyclops.I was just thinking that you could possibly get a solar charger upgrade as you used to be able to place Solar panels on the cyclops and the seamoth has one.

I dont think there will be a fusion reactor for the cyclops as it seems to complicated.
  • larsviklarsvik CT, USA Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214689Members
    As much as I would like to see solar power for the Cyclops, I don't think we are going to see it. The fact that the Devs removed solar panels being placed on top of a cyclops may imply that they do not want the Cyclops to be solar powered at all, and the implementation of other power sources that could easily fit inside the Cyclops, such as the bioreactor could become a viable replacement as soon as they can be put inside.

My theory at the moment is that we will see a power cell charger that works similar to the battery charger, but it will only be placeable on a static base, and we could fill those from solar power instead of placing panels on the sub itself. I think this because it makes the static bases more useful, and it adds features to the game, so it has more selling points and gameplay for a player to interact with before they "complete" the game. If the player can run about willy-nilly with no concern for charging or resources, much of the gameplay is cut out.
  • DinkelsenDinkelsen Graz Join Date: 2015-10-05 Member: 208309Members
    As I see it, a lot of Subnauticas gameplay is going to take place at depths > 250m, where solar power is not working, I would not say such a module would ruin the gameplay. I already said somewhere else, I think solar power is too powerful because the efficiency by depth falloff is linear and not exponential. But on the other hand, I can live with that very well.
  • AegilAegil Perth, Australia Join Date: 2016-03-26 Member: 214833Members
    Or maybe the magnetic cyclops dock will encourage us to actually build "refueling" stations around the place that utilize the power source of our choice? It's currently listed as a part of the "making the cyclops relevant" ticket in the roadmap, which is still slated for the Machinery update. Personally I feel that this, along with the power cell and battery recharge stations (also slated for the Machinery update), will give the cyclops enough energy recovery ability without needing a direct solar charging station.

Even if we don't get the magnetic dock, the recharge stations should be enough seeing as the main issue with the Cyclops' power consumption is that it's a chore to gather the resources to build even a single power cell, let alone the six that are required to recharge it each time. Although, if we have to build replacements so we can swap charged cells for drained ones... I think that I'll still cry a little. But only a little. :p
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Aside from the coming cyclops docking, which will probably bring recharging, making solar recharge useless, the chipped upgrades for next months release might bring additional possibilities. Or the internal bio and nuclear reactors might be placable inside the cyclops. Lets just wait and see.
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    Since we are now unable to place solar panels on the cyclops,could we get a cyclops solar panel upgrade?

See what they're thinking about for the cyclops, including this.

https://trello.com/c/f0gwktVZ/279-making-cyclops-relevant
  • project_mercyproject_mercy Aurora Engine Room Join Date: 2016-03-27 Member: 214884Members
    I think base charging is really all it needs.

I've never felt the "this is my mobile base" thing is astoundingly good for the game. Part of the game is building bases, including gathering materials, laying them out, building them, powering them, etc. When the Cyclops functions as a place to have unlimited food grown, place to store your loot, someplace to recharge your seamoth, etc; it basically just invalidates all that and you're left with half a game.

Instead, if its power consumption continues to be higher, then it encourages you to build bases as you go. You basically grow and explore organically. I think this slows down the player's speed moving through the biomes and lets them appreciate each area. It's why I feel they need to put different mechanics for gathering materials, basically mining and growing to build the bases.

I think they should shrink the cyclops by about 30% and not allow you to build anything in it. Instead, just have different configurations/interior modules that you can change out. So you could have the "deep sea exploration" setup or "loot hauler" setup or the "scanning" setup or the "tourist visibility" setup or the "haul my exosuit" setup or whatever.
  • DefectiveDelfinDefectiveDelfin Planet earth Join Date: 2015-07-19 Member: 206262Members
    I agree with all of you.Maybe the cyclops refueling stations could be a placeable building? being able to move from a place to another while stopping to recharge in a little outpost in between your journey seems very cool to me
  • Fitz0uilleFitz0uille France Join Date: 2016-04-12 Member: 215682Members
    I prefer something more close to a real sub : "Fuel" [Nuke or Bio].

Currently, The Seamoth can be charge easily with sun and dive well. If Cyclops became a very important ship for very Depth journey, it could be great to have
    - Solar panel for trip on surface
    - Other way to charge. (Create a Nuke reactor or a Bio react and when i'm far under water i can recharge my sub with this "Fuel")

After all, i think of the cyclops like a mobile base so it's logical to create reactor/Solar panel, etc.. like we use to do on our own static base :)
    I've never felt the "this is my mobile base" thing is astoundingly good for the game. Part of the game is building bases, including gathering materials, laying them out, building them, powering them, etc. When the Cyclops functions as a place to have unlimited food grown, place to store your loot, someplace to recharge your seamoth, etc; it basically just invalidates all that and you're left with half a game.

My personal tastes are the same as yours in this respect but I don't necessarily think that makes it best for the game.

There's something to be said for a game catering to different tastes and playstyles. Some people might - for whatever reason - prefer the idea of a mobile base. If the game can allow for that then it broadens the game's appeal and that's good for everyone.

Upgrade modules allow for this. Eg. if you're base-oriented like us then we'd be recharging our cyclops' at our bases. But those using the cyclops as a mobile base could find a solar charging module really valuable.
  • project_mercyproject_mercy Aurora Engine Room Join Date: 2016-03-27 Member: 214884Members
    Halios wrote: »
    Upgrade modules allow for this. Eg. if you're base-oriented like us then we'd be recharging our cyclops' at our bases. But those using the cyclops as a mobile base could find a solar charging module really valuable.

People for the most part favor the path of least resistance. If you say "You can charge this at a base.. or you can just ascend to 100m and wait half minute or so and you're good to go!" and I'm guessing that's the last anyone cares about base charging. And limits aren't always a bad thing. The game design should help provide positive feedback and incentive for people to use the tools available to them. If you phrase it as "this is not my playstyle" than either the devs didn't succeed at driving that home and/or maybe you're just playing the wrong game (like the people looking for Underwater Rust). I believe there already is a game mode for "I don't care about power" in the game, if they honestly just don't want to be bothered with it.

At least if it was a bio reactor or a nuke reactor they'd have to do something to manage it, so I'm slightly less annoyed about those two options. I still think it ends up not really providing the Cyclops anything and only detracts. I mean, people use to complain about Seamoth power consumption. I haven't read a complaint about that for quite a while. Why? It gets charged basically anywhere you go with it. You just have to be careful with it if you're exploring. I feel the Cyclops is an extension of that paradigm.

They have that model for that huge submersible. Maybe make that the mobile base, and just make it a collosal pain to move, so basically you don't explore with it, just re-position it as needed and range out from there.
  • ChimpXChimpX Join Date: 2015-07-25 Member: 206391Members
    If we accept that the 'Clops is ultimately conceived to be a deep-sea exploration vessel, then I would say solar recharging is inappropriate anyway.
    Give it nuclear, or bio; solar is for surface vehicles & emplacements.
  • badgerfrothbadgerfroth Darlington UK Join Date: 2016-04-10 Member: 215599Members
    Being able to recharge P/C at home base is good enough for me.

I don't so much use my Cyclops as a mobile base, rather it's a salvage seeker/ explorer. But I do spend several days away at a time before bringing back the goodies to the home base.
  • Alrekr_IronhandAlrekr_Ironhand New Hampshire, US Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214677Members
    Nuke all the way, say I. But nuke power yield should be properly proportional to bioreactor yield, which is to say, a single full uranium load should run the Cyclops for months.
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    So Im hearing many arguments about solar being a bad idea for the cyclops. I like the idea. Solar is not the end all. It would be a gating thing. So you build your cyclops. At first you have to either keep cells on you, or have the solar upgrade. If you are 500m down, and getting low on power, if you have no cells, you now have to calculate how much power it is going to take to get close enough to the surface to catch a few rays and recharge, then head back down. This takes time, and energy to ascend, or descend, making it inefficient. This allows for gating, and power generation upgrades. Later, this would be replaced by on board power generation upgrades, allowing you to stay down longer, to indefinitely.
    So solar can be used in a good way, with out ruining the play.
  • rudyeckertrudyeckert Join Date: 2012-11-27 Member: 173444Members
    Checking news like 5 times a day and seeing the last patch is the occulus update. Meanwhile my Cyclops sits unusable as it has no way to charge or build solar panals on. Can we please get the next patch that will once again make Cyclops (the pinnacle item in subnautica) Usable again!?
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    rudyeckert wrote: »
    Checking news like 5 times a day and seeing the last patch is the occulus update. Meanwhile my Cyclops sits unusable as it has no way to charge or build solar panals on. Can we please get the next patch that will once again make Cyclops (the pinnacle item in subnautica) Usable again!?

Look at Subnautica Development Trello Board

There we have Scott'Ts improvements to make the cyclops more useful:
    Although my preferences are:
    zetachron wrote: »
    stuff

I'm super excited about all of that, but the magnetic dock and base recharging is probably my favorite.

I do think it would be nice to have an option to put in a reactor of some kind. I still feel having more radical module changes would be nice. So basically you have a "main" module and then "upgrade" modules. The Main module would be things like "nuclear powered" or "mobile base" or "loot hauling" or "pleasure barge" or whatever and the upgrades would still be things like "power efficiency", "Sonar" etc.

People for the most part favor the path of least resistance. If you say "You can charge this at a base.. or you can just ascend to 100m and wait half minute or so and you're good to go!" and I'm guessing that's the last anyone cares about base charging.

Who says it would only take half a minute? Just you. No-one would really expect solar charging the cyclops to be quick. Plus since there are limited module slots, those using the solar module would be sacrificing something else. Balancing this would be very easy.
    And limits aren't always a bad thing. The game design should help provide positive feedback and incentive for people to use the tools available to them. If you phrase it as "this is not my playstyle" than either the devs didn't succeed at driving that home and/or maybe you're just playing the wrong game (like the people looking for Underwater Rust). I believe there already is a game mode for "I don't care about power" in the game, if they honestly just don't want to be bothered with it.

Right there you prove my point. Every time a game gives players options, it reduces the chance they'll feel like it's not the game for them. More options means they're more likely to buy, play, be seen to be playing (Steam stats) and recommend it to others. Plus many players like customising stuff and this is especially true in the survival sandbox genre. Customisable bases (lots of freedom in building), seamoths (modules), equipment (upgrades).

This ain't boot camp. It's a sandbox(ish) computer game. Choice = good.