'BOREALIS RISING' - A Subnautica Story V2.0.

Comments

• CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    Eeeeeeeeeeee.... Don't leave it there!!!
  • lorcogothlorcogoth belgium Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207943Members
    well shit.
    I guess the colonists aren't gonna start worshipping him right?
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Might have to warn him about Polyakov. I don't trust the bastard, and personally wish him to become dragon chow.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    I want to write a story like this... You have inspired me, great Bugzapper :)
  • DaDarkShadDaDarkShad Slovakia Join Date: 2016-06-23 Member: 218954Members
    Hmm there is no real point to putting a cliffhanger there, though i would be quite surprised if he said no.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    DaDarkShad wrote: »
    Hmm there is no real point to putting a cliffhanger there, though i would be quite surprised if he said no.

No cliffhanger intended.

Sometimes, it's just the end of the page.
    Awesome! I believe we've found the name of the ship: Borealis!!!

Plot twist!!: Sabotage thanks to Polyakov and Co.!!! Ambush thanks to the Reaper Clans!!! Polyakov and the Reapers team up!!! A wild, living Titan Leviathan appears!!!!
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Awesome! I believe we've found the name of the ship: Borealis!!!

Plot twist!!: Sabotage thanks to Polyakov and Co.!!! Ambush thanks to the Reaper Clans!!! Polyakov and the Reapers team up!!! A wild, living Titan Leviathan appears!!!!

I was thinking a war between the sea emp and the reapers and such. Honestly, at this point, I would have just sent Polyakov & co. back to the old base. They want to run things? Fine, they can run things all by themselves.
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    "To Borealis!"

I was correct!!!!! YAY!!!!!
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    "To Borealis!"

I was correct!!!!! YAY!!!!!

There were some fairly subtle hints. ;)
    Creepvine beer...

"Devs, put this in, please!"
    Coranth wrote: »
    Creepvine beer...

"Devs, put this in, please!"

Are you sure you want to hear this everytime you take a swig?

edited August 2016
    Are you sure you want to hear this everytime you take a swig?

Nah, it doesn't work like that, man. I take a swig of my Creepvine Beer... and then, well, my suit's PDA starts to sound like this nasty b-tch:

edited August 2016
    "Ah. This explains the mysterious cyber-ware I detected during our first meeting." I said mildly. "Not that I'd have mentioned it, of course. I'm not exactly one to cast aspersions on such matters. Even so, I've never seen a weapon like this before. I certainly wouldn't want to be on the receiving end."

Héloise smiled grimly. "Consider yourself lucky, monsieur. Armin Mikhailovitch is also blessed with good fortune tonight. After all, I did let him live."

Wordlessly, I took her hands in mine and held them. Something about her carefully controlled expression told me everything I needed to know. I've always found it difficult to find the most appropriate words to say in similar situations, so I chose to say nothing. I could only guess at the history between Héloise and Polyakov. Even with a top-notch android CPU helpfully putting my scattered thoughts in order, there's no point in running the numbers on that unspoken question.

This was another one of life's little knife-edge moments. One wrong word, one single gesture taken out of context would ruin everything. There is a correct time and place for playing The White Knight, and this definitely wasn't it.

Héloise tugged playfully at my hands, breaking the tension before it could grow more noticeable.

"You are too quiet, my Captain." she said firmly. "Far too serious. We should be dancing. Come."

IANTO and JUNO returned just in time to watch me making a complete fool of myself. I've never been much of a dancer, and the thought of letting the CPU kick in seemed too much like cheating. Naturally, I found myself instantly outclassed by Héloise's spirited version of belly-dancing. After only five minutes of utterly shambolic effort, I stood to one side and clapped in time to the music. DIGBY appeared to be enjoying himself immensely, much to the delight of his gorgeous Belter companion. Presently, the other two AIs strode confidently onto the dance floor and truly started to carve it up. Héloise beckoned seductively, calling me back. To rub salt into my wounds, JUNO followed Héloise's lead, activating her holofield to display traditional Middle-Eastern dancing garb.

"Mutinous dogs." I muttered. Wet blanket mode disengaged.

After a very late breakfast, I stopped by the medical bay to check on Polyakov. The few hours of daylight that remained were completely down the tubes, since most of the colonists weren't in the mood for anything else but sleep. Even the indomitable Héloise had refused to budge from her cosy cocoon, mumbling sleepy entreaties and lukewarm threats as I reluctantly dressed and departed.

IANTO had been able to reconstruct his shattered nose, although the collateral damage to the surrounding soft tissue was something that would require time to heal more than anything else. Even after extensive sub-dermal regeneration therapy, Polyakov's face was still a grotesque mass of purple and yellow bruises. His eyes were a pair of swollen slits, their lids incapable of opening more than a few millimetres without causing excruciating pain. I stood in the doorway looking at this sorry excuse for a man, trying to see beyond his currently pathetic condition.

Not entirely sure what I was looking for, and I wasn't at all certain what I expected to find there. Polyakov didn't strike me as a fellow who had any redeeming qualities, so I felt a bit foolish for even bothering to look. In truth, Polyakov and Tomar were worlds apart. Tomar may have been totally insane at the end of it, although he truly believed in what he was doing. Polyakov is simply a common thug wrapped in the threadbare guise of a peace-keeper.

I think it's about time for another friendly chat.
    edited August 2016
    Polyakov regained consciousness several hours later. His first reaction was to struggle weakly against the bed's restraint webbing. After a few minutes of grunting and futile straining against the near-unbreakable Kevlar bands, he simply gave up. By my reckoning, the outburst of furious yelling would start any minute now. Rather than let him raise a ruckus for no real reason, I poured out a beaker of water and carefully handed it to him. He flinched in near-panic, almost knocking the beaker out of my guiding hands.

"Who's there? Chert voz'mi! I can't see you!" He snarled.

"Just as well. I'm probably the last person you ever wanted to see, Gospodin." I said amiably.

Polyakov's expression soured. "Ah, hell. You've come to finish me off, Robot. I expected no less from you. You hide behind your machines, now you hide behind our women. I am thinking you were no real man even when you were alive. You disgust me, Selkirk."

"The feeling's entirely mutual, bratets. I must admit, I did briefly consider injecting you with an air-filled syringe as you lay there. Would have prevented a whole mess of future problems." I sighed wearily. "To be honest, I'm feeling a bit uncomfortable about the inordinate time I've spent dreaming up novel ways to snap your twig. I guess my humanity simulation subsystems might be acting up again. Still, here we are... What do you reckon, Armin Mikhailovitch? What should I do?"

"You don't have the guts to kill me, Selkirk. Any fool can see that. Your fairy story about this... Valkyrie Field apparat might have fooled the others, but not this one. It's just a cheap trick to control the workers, keep us all docile under the fist of our new robot masters, no?"

I tutted reproachfully, slowly shaking my head. "Don't be stupid. It's absolutely nothing to do with your half-arsed grasp of mouldy Marxist-Leninist dogma. You've missed the point entirely, it seems. We don't actually need any outside help with the Borealis Project. The only reason we've involved the colonists at all is to give them something to keep them occupied, something meaningful to work toward. A common goal. You're making it sound like we're running some kind of forced labour camp. How did you figure that one out? I'm genuinely curious how you reached this conclusion."

"A cage with golden bars is still a cage. A well-fed slave is still a slave." He answered sullenly.

I sighed with resignation. "Fine. Keep thinking that, Pally. So what happens when Borealis finally makes planetfall on Terra? Should I drive you out at whip's end, then set up a Creepvine plantation in the Caribbean? Work with me here, Armin. You are my only unqualified failure in this devious campaign to win the hearts and minds of your fellow colonists, only made possible by treating them with common decency. What am I doing so bloody poorly that you need to undermine my efforts?"

"You are treating us like cattle, like pets. True Men cannot live this way." Polyakov grunted.

"Is this another Cruel Robot Thing, Armin? Okay. Have it your way." I leaned over him just close enough to whisper. "I'm not even remotely human. In fact, since you brought up the Valkyrie Field, I'll tell you exactly how inhuman I really am beneath this amazingly lifelike polymer skin. Yes, the Valkyrie Field is real. You and your pack of shaved apes have been singled out for special treatment. If you die, you will indeed be reborn to learn from your mistakes. However, there's a catch... You are limited to only three lives each. You will also regenerate back in the Lava Castle. Take care, now."
    Reaper eat you, Polyakov, you scum!
    Polyakov's brain in a shellnut:
    edited August 2016
    We have company. Unwanted company.

The three juvenile Reapers Moe, Larry and Curly have recently set up their bachelor pad 750 metres NNE of Skull Island. Until we can get the dry dock built, I've had to assign all four of our Cyclops to perimeter patrols. There have been no serious incursions as yet, but I'm fairly certain that all this human activity has piqued their curiosity. That's all we need. Three young bucks full of pith and vinegar, all out to make a name for themselves. If there's any level of complex communication between Reapers, you can bet your last Credit that Daddy Ahab's been sharing his war stories with these guys.
    Could make life rather interesting in these parts.

Suffice it to say, the colonists have heard them kicking up a fuss over yonder, and they're none too pleased about it. They've never actually seen a Reaper in the flesh yet, but those distant roars begin to sound awful close when you've got your back turned toward an open ocean. Having been in similar situations myself, I can't say as I blame them for getting a collective attack of the willies. Rather than place our volunteers under too much stress, I called a halt to construction on the dry dock while we set up automated defence systems. The dry dock would also need some defensive firepower of its own, although that issue can be addressed while we're building its support gantries.

Another significant milestone. The deuterium extractors are up and running. The first production cycle yielded 40 litres of deuterium, supercooled to a cryogenic liquid state and transferred to one of the island's high-pressure storage tanks. Although that initial product discharge seems barely enough to create a decent puddle, slightly more than 2,500,000 litres of seawater had to pass through the extraction processors to produce those 40 litres. Tritium production was even more modest. The conversion process we're using requires ten thousand litres of heavy water to produce 10 kilograms of tritium. These quantities might seem ridiculously trivial, but it all eventually adds up. As we Scots say, 'Many a mickle makes a muckle.' This is why fusion fuel production has commenced well in advance of construction on Borealis. It's a damnably slow process.

I'm certain there's a smug armchair Nobel Laureate out there having a quiet chuckle over our piddling little operation. Sure, we can easily build more reactors and speed up the fuel production, although when dead fish start popping up on the surface because we've jacked up the local water temperature, Father of Tides will be sending us a rather pointed 'Please Explain' note. That's something I'd rather avoid. We'll simply content ourselves with running only four reactors and play nicely with the planet for a change.

Although I had the design of Borealis completely worked out by now, there was still one detail that caused me no end of grief. While trawling through the mass of data I'd salvaged from Aurora over a century ago, I encountered a fragment of some command-level mission briefing mentioning the construction of a Phase Gate in the Alphard system. I can only assume that this was Aurora's original primary mission in this system, and all that under-the-table business with the STARFISH mining platform was merely a sneaky little money-spinner for Alterra and Torgaljin Corp. Unfortunately, all technical data on Phase Gate construction had been corrupted beyond any hope of recovery.

Maybe it was just as well, because the technology involved was waaay over my former pay grade. As it was, I knew just enough about Phase Gate theory to convince me that this tech was best left to the experts. Construction's not the problem. Calibration and temporal-spatial alignment of Phase Gates requires considerably more finesse.
    Definitely not a job for a lowly Spanner Monkey like me.
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    Ha. I love how you sneaked in the whole phase gate thing. Trying to have some similarities to the games lore?