Should the flares be improved?

HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
Hey everyone,

I was thinking that the flares should have a larger use, rather than just being something you use for lighting at the start of the game once, until you get a torch and that's it. I feel like they should have their radius greatly bolstered and brightened; this should also include a mechanic that keeps small fish and predators away from the flare and its radius (Bleeders, Biters, Blighters etc.). This would make them much more useful in areas such as caverns or areas where you want to set up a temporary safe area for your player to get out and maybe construct a habitat. Maybe we can even load them into the Exosuit or Seamoth torpedoes and then launch them down deep dark places to create safe areas or see what awaits... point is, I'd love to see more use for them as they are really cool and the mechanic would be awesome. Sure we have Led Lightsticks and stuff, but that's more permanent. I'd love to just be able to pop some flares out of the Exosuit, illuminate a huge area around me, watch all of the fish swim out of the way and then just get out and start building. Like flares popping out of an aircraft except they're flares with great radius and they're underwater coming out of an Exosuit or torpedo :P
What do you guys think? :)

Comments

• HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
    edited June 2016
    As it currently stands, I save my flares in the early game, then forget about them in the late game - just like one use light sources in almost every other game.

Bearing in mind that a flare burns around 1500c, I would love them to serve as a knife-like hand weapon or a deterrent to approaching predators. That would give a reason to use them beyond the first dive out of the pod. I feel like their radius is ok though and I love the colour, just "free" or "cheap" light is available within 10 minutes of playing so one use light that is relatively expensive in resources to produce just has no significant purpose. They need to be "Light and..." to be useful.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, like a 'deterrent' of some sorts that just causes predators to stay away, it'd make it a lot more useful. Thanks for commenting your thoughts :)
  • IntrepidHIntrepidH Florida Join Date: 2015-12-09 Member: 209838Members
    I keep spawning flares to use in deep biomes (I love the way the lighting looks down there at night, and I've gotten a few sick screenshots of the Reaper/Seadragon in pitch black only flare lighting,

I've watched a few playthroughs on twitch/youtube where people use them once and remark (ITS TOO BRIGHT) and never use them again, or they never use them at all. I think If the lifepod came with more than just 2 initial flares it'd be a good way to encourage using them creatively for newer players. But it does seem maybe inferior overall as a lighting source compared to the nice selection we have now, though maybe arguably not as cool in my biased opinion :)
    IntrepidH wrote: »
    I keep spawning flares to use in deep biomes (I love the way the lighting looks down there at night, and I've gotten a few sick screenshots of the Reaper/Seadragon in pitch black only flare lighting,

I've watched a few playthroughs on twitch/youtube where people use them once and remark (ITS TOO BRIGHT) and never use them again, or they never use them at all. I think If the lifepod came with more than just 2 initial flares it'd be a good way to encourage using them creatively for newer players. But it does seem maybe inferior overall as a lighting source compared to the nice selection we have now, though maybe arguably not as cool in my biased opinion :)

Yeah, I completely agree. Just the feeling and lighting of them is awesome - I also love to carry a lit flare through a wreck in my hand (throw the flare than with an empty quick slot pick it up). Thanks for your thoughts :smile:
  • joni65joni65 Kansas Join Date: 2016-06-19 Member: 218763Members
    I like all of these suggestions. I don't even use the flares in the beginning anymore so they sit there all sad and under appreciated. Deterrent is an awesome suggestion.
  • Rooks_NemesisRooks_Nemesis Ontario Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218388Members
    Honestly go a different route, instead of deterrent just use it for what it is, a distraction!

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't most of the hostile fauna get attracted to light sources? Basically you toss the flare out and into and as it sinks sure some of the smaller fish swim away, but the big bads turn fin and swim towards it.. While they are investigating it you can swim off / scan etc..
    Honestly go a different route, instead of deterrent just use it for what it is, a distraction!

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't most of the hostile fauna get attracted to light sources? Basically you toss the flare out and into and as it sinks sure some of the smaller fish swim away, but the big bads turn fin and swim towards it.. While they are investigating it you can swim off / scan etc..

Mmmm yes that is another option. Good idea, thanks for sharing :)
  • joni65joni65 Kansas Join Date: 2016-06-19 Member: 218763Members

I haven't used them enough to notice, but if this is true I will needing more
  • TotalologistTotalologist Norwich, UK. Join Date: 2016-04-05 Member: 215379Members

Good call, there are definitely differing responses to light. Bonesharks don't seem to be a fan and nothing is attracted to those glowing pee-bombs, but if you turn on a light near a crabsquid it will respond enthusiastically.