Bursting with ideas!

ZionExpressZionExpress Join Date: 2012-04-09 Member: 150154Members
I am rabidly in love with this game! I was on the fence about purchasing it for a long time and I'm so happy I finally caved!
I have some ideas that have been bouncing around in my head for a bit and now it's finally time to share. Please comment, poke holes, expand, share!

1) Personal scanner drone - Similar to the "eye" drones from the scanner room, this is an upgrade for the hand held scanner that you never leave your sea base without. Equipping the drone (perhaps in a "chip" slot in your inventory) would allow a semi-autonomous drone to follow you around while you swim. The drone could chirp/ping at things that are new and have not been scanned and either scan them automatically or allow you to target and push a button to scan on demand. The drone would always attempt to stay in your line of sight so you can direct it by looking in the desired direction.
Additional thoughts:
* This could potentially make getting fragments too easy, so those would need to be scanned manually or only while in close proximity.
* The drone would require a power source which can be depleted and require replacements.
* Drones can be destroyed or disabled due to damage and require repairs with a welder.
* Stalkers are attracted to them and treat them like scrap metal.
* Perhaps all of this can be an upgrade module for the Seamoth instead of an item you carry on your person.
** Maybe you need to get an upgrade for the Seamoth just for the drone to dock with while you are inside, otherwise it could get lost if you pilot your sub too far away.

2) Floating base/mothership - I've seen a couple posts with similar ideas, basically a large floating vehicle that doesn't go underwater at all and serves as a mobile base and dock for the Seamoth and/or Cyclops. Maybe it's just some floating platforms that you can build upon with the base fabricator. Maybe it's a large empty vessel which you can furnish and expand upon like a base module. Comes with its own moon pool for the Seamoth and a docking arm for the Cyclops (or a giant moon pool which can house both). Scanner/sonar arrays and other tools to help you locate resources, wrecks, life pods, etc. Maybe, just maybe it also has a landing pad for....

3) Amphibious jet! Common, how cool would this be?? Imagine a craft that could zip around above the surface and then you push a button and, DIVE! Suddenly you're skimming the ocean floor or docking with a moon pool just like a secret agent or super villain. To make this craft unique from the Seamoth it can have a relatively shallow crush depth (200-250m), doesn't support ANY defensive modules/torpedoes, and requires a heavy investment in resources to build/maintain.
Additional thoughts:
* Perhaps it only docks with moon pools and landing pads. Makes the amphi-jet more of a "look but don't touch" vehicle better suited for quick travel between bases and surveying various biomes. Maybe you can craft a module that allows you to exit the vehicle at will or it can only be exited while you are on the surface? Just looking for something to make it complimentary to the other vehicles in the game instead of a replacement.
* Not just a jet, but a VTOL/hover type vehicle. Can hover in place or fly backwards.
* Could have a cool transformation when converting from jet to sub modes. Wings expand or fold up, thrusters turn into propellers, canopy/viewscreen changes orientation or layout.
* Takes damage/malfunctions when exposed to radiation so flying to the crash zone is ill-advised.

4) Dolphin-like creatures. Ok, I just came up with this one a few minutes ago so bear with me.. How about a creature that is social and friendly towards the player? More than feeding stalkers and getting scrap, I'm talking about something inquisitive and almost companion-like. There have been some posts about taming creatures but this is different. Like dolphins and whales and some other real creatures, these ones just want to check you out and maybe interact with you a bit. Bump into you while you're swimming, maybe push you around a little. Show off for you by performing underwater flips or barrel rolls. Alert you if a predator is nearby and maybe even help you fight it off. These creatures are found in small pods or shoals, maybe 3-4 at a time. They follow you as you swim or in if you're in your sub and are generally peaceful and fun. Really, it'd just be nice to have a creature swim right up to me and NOT try to eat me somehow! :wink:

Whew, ok, I think that's all for now. Let me know what you guys think!

Comments

• CyionCyion London, ON Join Date: 2016-04-04 Member: 215334Members
    I like your idea about the dolphin-like creatures.
  • 6ismus6ismus Florida Join Date: 2015-12-30 Member: 210592Members
    We pretty much already have the cutefish and rabbitray to fill the dolphin role.
    All your other ideas aren't that good.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    I liked the mothership, amphibious jet and dolphin-like creatures ideas! The drone, though, I feel would be a sort of garrison-esc sit back whilst the game does all the work thing. Okay, I've got some ideas (I'll regurgitate some things I posted myself, but only briefly. I'll put a [P] next to the ones I'll only briefly mention :) ) .

1) Mammals and Birds [P] - People think that aliens can only be reptilian, but I say there should be some seal-looking creatures on the mountain island and around it.

2) Ice Island/Zone [P] - Either an ice island with feathered birds and mammals on it or a watery zone that's completely under a glacier with no places to breathe and is very very deep, and reverse caves that stretch upwards.

3) Animal Migration [P] - Imagine bone sharks migrating to the kelp forest and kicking the stalkers out, or maybe the stalkers hold their own and the bone sharks retreat? Or Lavalizards make a home in the Lost River, or Reefbacks live happily alongside Jelly Rays in the Mushroom Forest.

4) More dangerous and longer solar eclipses (and Vertical Migration) - Okay, so I saw a post that spoke about vertical migration, where deep sea creatures rise to the surface during the night to eat. Well, what if this translated into Subnautica, where at night lava lizards, crabsquids, all of them, rise to the surface to feast? Then I instantly thought about solar eclipses, and how they might trick these creatures into thinking it's time for them to rise up. This could cause for solar eclipses to be a more serious thing, and not something that just happens and has no effect on survival.

5) Fossil Hunting - I first had this idea when I saw the giant fossil in the Lost River. What if you could dig around for and collect fossils in the Lost River? Then I thought that, if you found all of the bones of one creature, you could put them inside some sort of analyser, and see what the creature looked like in life. It could then show the stages it went through in its evolution into its modern day counterpart (for example, you could find the remains of an ancient, large bone shark with four spikes on its head and long fangs. The analyser will show you how it lost its horns one by one, got smaller and evolved into what it is today). This could include the giant creature, if you decide to put an analyser next to it. Maybe it evolved into the sea dragon. It would be good to see what it was like in life.

6) MORE LEVIATHANS! - Not too many, but I think it would be good for an entire class of creatures to be labelled as "Leviathans". The Phantom Leviathan would be a good start, as I liked its design so much; it was like a huge jelly ray (which is my favourite creature, BTW). Maybe one peaceful leviathan (perhaps the Phantom Leviathan is it. I saw no teeth on that thing). I think 5 is a good place to stop with the leviathan count, but 3 is too low in my probably unpopular opinion.

There are all of my ideas for Subnautica, as I was too bursting :)
    Fossil hunting would be interesting, but instead of digging perhaps there could be some sort of scanning device that you would use almost like a metal detector that beamed something like a light curtain at the ground and this light curtain could be 2 or 3 meters wide which represents the width of the ground you are scanning. Perhaps there could be a modification that you could put into your seamoth to do the same thing aswell and a modification for the exosuit.
    Cyion wrote: »
    Fossil hunting would be interesting, but instead of digging perhaps there could be some sort of scanning device that you would use almost like a metal detector that beamed something like a light curtain at the ground and this light curtain could be 2 or 3 meters wide which represents the width of the ground you are scanning. Perhaps there could be a modification that you could put into your seamoth to do the same thing aswell and a modification for the exosuit.

That's pretty cool for if you want to find those fossils, and to get them out (if they decide to remove digging from the game) we could have a tool that pulls them from the ground without the bones tearing the ground, kind of teleporting them from inside the earth straight to your feet.
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    That's pretty cool for if you want to find those fossils, and to get them out (if they decide to remove digging from the game) we could have a tool that pulls them from the ground without the bones tearing the ground, kind of teleporting them from inside the earth straight to your feet.

That's a really cool idea. Another couple cool ideas would be:

Option 1: You could reassemble the bones for display, like for your own personal museum.

Option 2: With advanced technology you could bring the animal back from extinction and either introduce this animal to an aquarium or introduce it back into the environment.
  • CptFlubberGuppyCptFlubberGuppy Join Date: 2016-07-14 Member: 220214Members
    @Jamezorg ; What you said about eclipses and vertical migration got me thinking - what if there were seasons that performed minor/major changes depending on the season? There could be slight changes for the "lesser" seasons (spring, fall), and larger changes for summer and winter, with animals that migrate in and out and effects on the environment (icicles on forest mushrooms, changing plant colours, snow, buds on plants, etc) that change the biomes entirely based on the in-game time of year. And there would be different variants of animals or the animals would change during certain seasons (snowshoe hare changes pelt colour).
    @Jamezorg ; What you said about eclipses and vertical migration got me thinking - what if there were seasons that performed minor/major changes depending on the season? There could be slight changes for the "lesser" seasons (spring, fall), and larger changes for summer and winter, with animals that migrate in and out and effects on the environment (icicles on forest mushrooms, changing plant colours, snow, buds on plants, etc) that change the biomes entirely based on the in-game time of year. And there would be different variants of animals or the animals would change during certain seasons (snowshoe hare changes pelt colour).

Dynamic seasons would be amazing if it was implemented :) And if creatures changed the colours of their skin, I suppose reefbacks would become a darker shade of blue in the winter and lighter in summer. That's amazing. Imagine the aurora with icicles running down its sides, and then in spring streams of water running down the corridors, past your feet from all of the melting ice.

I like being able to have free reign over the environment. We have it to a degree with the thermal plants, sea bases and terraformer (for however long that remains a thing :( ), so I think being able to create a new ecosystem entirely would be great fun, and experimenting with different reintroductions could be really REALLY fun. Animals could go extinct; perhaps the reintroduced animal wipes out their modern counterpart? Or maybe their time has passed, and they get picked off by the modern stalkers or whatnot.

Also fossilised plants, too. That way you can have a complete tank full of prehistoric life that looks entirely different to those you have containing modern life. And I feel as though if we were to go about naming these prehistoric animals, you should just add Primal to the beginning (for example, Primal Crabsnake). Maybe similar animals evolved from the same common ancestor (like the Crabsnake and the Reaper Leviathan both evolved from the Primal Crabsnake, or the sea treader and the reefbacks evolved from the Primal Reefback). The possibilities for fossil hunting are endless.
  • Starovoyovm20Starovoyovm20 141 Granite Drive Join Date: 2016-05-05 Member: 216373Members
    Add another place in the auroa, like bedrooms where you can find a lot of fragments. A huge central room where you can find broken robots on the floor in pieces and cave crawlers.
  • ZionExpressZionExpress Join Date: 2012-04-09 Member: 150154Members
    Fossils sound cool. Adds another hunt/discover/collect aspect to the game similar to eggs. I'm imagining something similar to the fossil collecting in the Animal Crossing games. You find a piece here, another piece there, once you've collected them all you can put them on display in your sea base. Maybe you can mount them on pedestals or picture frames and create a sort of trophy room.
    Resurrecting lost species could be interesting but I'm not sure mixing them with the local fauna would work. For all we know, the sea environment today is toxic to these creatures. Perhaps a special aquarium to house extinct plants and animals.

As for seasons, that would be neat but probably too complex to introduce into the game. Specific, fixed regions which exemplify specific seasons is more doable. Or, maybe something seen on the few land masses in the game, ie. trees on floater island go through various cycles of growth/color/fruit production. Ice caves would be cool as hell (no pun intended)! I'm imagining some kind of glacial mass riddled with tunnels and caverns and populated with giant molluscs or jellies (see: polar-giantism).

How about a weather system? I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere else by now, seems like a basic thing to include. Massive storms on the surface, lightning, large waves, etc. Maybe storms cause some kind of algae bloom or strange behavior in animals. Maybe it causes all the coral to send out bio-luminescent spores as they attempt to reproduce. This could be especially interesting for players in the shallow biomes where they still get surface light and there's a large assortment of flora and fauna (ie. perhaps not as interesting in mountains or dunes biomes, etc).
  • Yargish89Yargish89 new mexico usa Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217575Members
    How about outside lights connect to base so long as close to base
  • DREADEDNEARWITHDREADEDNEARWITH Passaic, NewJersey Join Date: 2016-07-16 Member: 220303Members
    Some type of boat just smaller than the cyclops butnfaster than the seamoth?