List of QOL Changes

dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
edited July 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
I was thinking about some QOL changes yesterday.
My intention behind these changes is: Give new players informations that vets already have.

A timer somewhere in the upper hud, where you can see the time where Lerks, fades and Onos can be on the field.
This timer dont need to be exact but should be based on the harvester ammount.
This would give new players a direct feedback when you kill an harvester (harvester dead, timer goes up).

Show spottet harvesters and extrator longer on the map (thats why vets parasite them). The vets already know the ammount of enemy harvesters/extractor most of the time.

A lightning change in that way, that typical good defend or ambush positions are highlighted in some way.
This change could be subtle.
On rookie server you could give a player some soundfeedback like (awesome positioning) and extra points if he kills aliens from that position or after an good ambush as skulk.
This is rewarding, vets know these positions anyway and people learn to position themself.

If the "Base under attack" sound gets played, show a small not distracting map that shows the position of the attacked structure related to your position.
Vets would press the map key in that situation right away. If its done in a nice way vets would also profit from this change cause they can concentrate on a fight while they see there next target without an extra click on the keyboard.
Im sure 80% of the new players dont use the map or dont know the map key.

Vets can place little holographic informations on key positions for marines behind them like:
"Some1 stay here for laneblocking". If someone is doing this, reward this guy with extra points, a heroic music or whatever.

No concede votes happen, cause new players dont knnow how to concede.
Why?
Mapvote and balance is on M, concede is on X.
Put all gamerelated votes into one menu instead of splitting them.
If someone is pressing concede, he must click on a reason button like "only 1 rt", "Com sux", "Enemy team to strong".
New players dont know why people are conceding, with this change they would see the reasons.

If an phase gate is under attack, play a extra warning and not the typical "base under attack".
Cant count the games where 7 marines where welding the base while our only Phase gate on the field was going down to 2 skulks.

Use the 5sec starttime for short random animated hints like:
"Killing enemy ressourcetowers and protect your own is the key to win" or mapspecific hints like "By controlling Nanogrid you control two resssourcenodes"

In an addition here are some ideas from Bicsum:
http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/143866/minimap-change#latest
http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/144055/alien-commo-rose-menu#latest
http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/144054/highlight-vent-entrances#latest
http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/144056/highlight-the-importance-of-map-usage#latest

Comments

• KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    First idea reminds me of something I thought of a while ago.

we should get timers on the evolve menu... basically the timers should be individual, and show how long it will take for you to be able to afford each lifeform based on how many RTs your team currently has... the lifeforms are already greyed out, so putting a countdown clock over that should be relatively easy to do.

Veterans already know these instinctively, but rookies have absolutely no idea.

Another QoL change I suggested recently is here.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2016
    I reaaalllyy like the highlighting vent entrances thing..

edit: why isn't the default map transparent like the mods on the workshop?
  • barniebarnie Join Date: 2016-07-26 Member: 220695Members
    Make alien abilities a one button activateable overwatch style.
    (Parasite, Boneshield, Metabolize, Lerk farts)
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Having the 'Respawning' status appear on the scoreboard when teammates are respawning would be a nice little addition that's been missing since ns1.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    barnie wrote: »
    Make alien abilities a one button activateable overwatch style.
    (Parasite, Boneshield, Metabolize, Lerk farts)

The trello board suggests that this is something we could very well see in the future. https://trello.com/c/qKdFTBqU/122-remove-alien-weapon-switching
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    How do "No" votes in TF2 work? Does it count against the "Yes" votes or is it like in NS2 where its pretty much just for show? I don't usually bother voting "No" in NS2 as I can just not vote and it has the same effect.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2016
    Aeglos wrote: »
    How do "No" votes in TF2 work? Does it count against the "Yes" votes or is it like in NS2 where its pretty much just for show? I don't usually bother voting "No" in NS2 as I can just not vote and it has the same effect.

Voting no just gets rid of the pop-up quicker.
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    edited July 2016
    I agree with QOL changes to the game. I think this is a good opportunity to add new effects/ui elements that make the game relay information in a new way. It can help new players, and make the game seem less confusing. I also think this and teaching players how to play the game is more important than balance changes for the sake of changing things up. If you want someone to load up the game, proceed to start a round, and be impressed with what they are playing, this is a good route to take.

I want a pack play incentive UI icon/effect that pops up when aliens are grouped up and ready to attack together. Either the commander initiates it or the game automatically recognizes when you're next to multiple teammates. I think it would be cool if a pack play element was built into the game.

I also think there should be something that gives incentive for marines to cover each other. Perhaps you could have an icon come up on your screen when you are covering a nearby teammate and some indicator if you are close to a nearby teammate, but you aren't covering them with line of sight.

That commander tutorial will be nice to point people to when that is completed. Hopefully we can get one for skulks and marines too.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited August 2016
    The first link was not my suggestion. It was diracs.

This was my map improvement suggestion:
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/143224/mini-map-improvements

I'm really hoping for this one.