Bigger Submarine Concept - My own 3D model

Comments

• x1Alpha2014x1Alpha2014 Germany Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204528Members
  • hampus034hampus034 Sweden Join Date: 2016-08-13 Member: 221254Members
    I've just installed blender and i have a question. Did you use sculpt mode to make the general shape or did you drag the vertices in place? Or is there another way maybe?
  • MinderMinder France Join Date: 2016-08-13 Member: 221263Members
    Zappsteve wrote: »

Looks pretty good so far =) And also to the entrances, after i looked more at the picture i´ve seen this blue spot on the top behind the antennas and everything maybe there is where you enter that there is a hull plate which rises and then theres a hatch where you can enter. Maybe could only be for the looks but would be awesome if it would be like this.

You mean that long blue surface behind the top thing? But it will be so huge just for one person to enter xD look how small the character is comparison to that ^^ But for the animation of the opening of a hatch, i can still manage to do that somewhere else :)
    Yargish89 wrote: »
    A glass room lower airlock under the bridge? Dude that sounds so awesome its cosmic (yeah total dork on the fly geekiest thing i ever said feel free to laugh im laughing)
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    I think maybe the best place for a hatch is the same place as the Cyclops, at the bottom front.

Yeah I think i'm gonna do that for sure!
    I love it.

thank you dude! :)
    hampus034 wrote: »
    I've just installed blender and i have a question. Did you use sculpt mode to make the general shape or did you drag the vertices in place? Or is there another way maybe?

Ahah no :p Sculpt mode is really for modelling organic object, like a human, a creature, or a tree. Because this is a really free mode, to put details everywhere and to add randomness easily :) Furthemore, this mode will make a high poly model, and this is not what we want. 3d model for a game need to has the less vertices as possible, but still looks nice.
    In fact, to make the general shape for the submarine, I first add a cylinder and then a sphere in front of it. I merge both of them. An then this is just modification of the mesh :) But be aware! You don't make the shape by moving the vertices one by one! I used the scale manipulator on specific vertices or edges in order to get the shape I wanted. If you want more information, just ask me! :D
  • A_FREAKING_DUCKA_FREAKING_DUCK Join Date: 2016-04-03 Member: 215296Members
    I would love to see this sub in the game, it could have everything, a scanner room, a gardening room, a room with a giant fish tank in the middle that you can put all your fish in, etc. A gigantic portable base. Boy would it be pricey though xD my one concern with it as looking at the main concept art, seeing him in that window really makes it feel like this ship wasn't meant to be run by just one person. If we got this idea to the devs I feel their main argument would be the ship is too large for one small person. Still really hope this is put into the game though, it looks great.
    I would love to see this sub in the game, it could have everything, a scanner room, a gardening room, a room with a giant fish tank in the middle that you can put all your fish in, etc. A gigantic portable base. Boy would it be pricey though xD my one concern with it as looking at the main concept art, seeing him in that window really makes it feel like this ship wasn't meant to be run by just one person. If we got this idea to the devs I feel their main argument would be the ship is too large for one small person. Still really hope this is put into the game though, it looks great.

Yeah that's what i was thinking too for the rooms. It will try to model everything :)
    IMO, this submarine should be run by 4 people. I think this is a great way to come up with the coop feature too! :D
    But i think, we could still manage to command it by just one person, like the cyclops.
    And don't worry, i will try to convince the devs to do so!! :D But i first got to make the model almost perfect ^^
    And thanks for the feedback :p
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
  • ZappsteveZappsteve Join Date: 2016-08-04 Member: 220965Members
    Really dude... This is amazing. Theres nothing else to say but hi to Ivan xD
    edited August 2016
    derp, my bad. I forgot there are 3 designs: Draconis, Manta, and Shark.

this being the shark: http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/File:Pat-presley-sub03b-lorez.jpg
  • Yargish89Yargish89 new mexico usa Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217575Members
    This is beautiful man love it
    Looks great love the work
  • aft2001aft2001 Join Date: 2016-08-19 Member: 221500Members
    That is amazing. This would be even better in multiplayer. Maybe in singleplayer you could have AI control everything that needs to be controlled other than piloting, but when multiplayer is added, people could crew this beast of a vessel.
    the only thing I could think of for the rear, would be for the exosuit/base dock
    aft2001 wrote: »
    That is amazing. This would be even better in multiplayer. Maybe in singleplayer you could have AI control everything that needs to be controlled other than piloting, but when multiplayer is added, people could crew this beast of a vessel.

ahah this is exactly what i was thinking too :) it would be a great way to introduce the coop feature :)
    Sigmalx wrote: »
    the only thing I could think of for the rear, would be for the exosuit/base dock

Yeah i know that it is would be an interesting addition, but i still don't know how the exosuit will work. Furthermore, i think that the engine for this huge submarine will be also big ^^
  • DarkiLorditoDarkiLordito Brazil Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221309Members
    I like the interior concept, just try not to burn yourself out lol.
    Great work!
    edited August 2016
    Could you potentially dock the Cyclops to it...? Because you can never have enough submarine.
    (edit)
    Alsooo, could there be a multipurpose room or two where you could build in the sub just like in a base? For example, you could build a water filter, nuclear reactor, lots of storage, furniture, etc.
    I like the interior concept, just try not to burn yourself out lol.
    Great work!

ahah thanks, don't worry :smiley:
    Could you potentially dock the Cyclops to it...? Because you can never have enough submarine.
    (edit)
    Alsooo, could there be a multipurpose room or two where you could build in the sub just like in a base? For example, you could build a water filter, nuclear reactor, lots of storage, furniture, etc.

If you mean to dock the Cyclops like the Seamoth, unfortunately it won't be possible, because it will take too much space inside the bigger submarine. But in the future, we will see if you can dock the Cyclops to your base, but in an external way, and maybe I could do the same for the new submarine. :smile:
    Yes of course!! If you watch my picture on the interior layout, you will see several rooms that could do it. Like the command room for sure, in the living room too, maybe a bit in the laboratory and the cockpit too, and perhaps there will be some extra space for small furniture in the other rooms ;)
    oh god imagine trying to navigate that beast through the safe shallows...
  • ZappsteveZappsteve Join Date: 2016-08-04 Member: 220965Members

I think youll need atleast 4-5 people to steer this beast. The cyclops actually needs atleast 3 as it is said when you first enter it.
    Totally radical man
  • DiscovererDiscoverer S Join Date: 2016-08-18 Member: 221485Members
    I love this post, but I want to point some things:
    1. Maybe it's too late to say it now, but the "tail" of the vehicle is too damn long, it will be a pain in the ass to maneuver it. Maybe shorten it should do.
    2. I also like the idea of "specialized rooms" (a lab, living quarters, etc.), but maybe you should let space to the player to make what they want in every room.
    3. If the walls were like the ones from the multipurpose room (that allow building water flitration machines and stuff) it would be awesome. But no glass windows though.
    4. Remember that the concept art you based this piece of work is just that. Concept art is used as a reference in early development (and mid-dev) for how something that MAY implemented MAY be or look like. I'm not saying that you should change anything, but you have to know that you don't need to make the submarine exactly as in the concept art. Feel free to add slight changes when needed.

Hope this post helped in a constructive way to anyone. I can't wait to see this submarine across the seas!

PD: sorry for any grammar mistakes. I'm not english.

No it will be just impossible xD it's already though with the Cyclops ahah
    Discoverer wrote: »
    I love this post, but I want to point some things:
    1. Maybe it's too late to say it now, but the "tail" of the vehicle is too damn long, it will be a pain in the ass to maneuver it. Maybe shorten it should do.
    2. I also like the idea of "specialized rooms" (a lab, living quarters, etc.), but maybe you should let space to the player to make what they want in every room.
    3. If the walls were like the ones from the multipurpose room (that allow building water flitration machines and stuff) it would be awesome. But no glass windows though.
    4. Remember that the concept art you based this piece of work is just that. Concept art is used as a reference in early development (and mid-dev) for how something that MAY implemented MAY be or look like. I'm not saying that you should change anything, but you have to know that you don't need to make the submarine exactly as in the concept art. Feel free to add slight changes when needed.

Hope this post helped in a constructive way to anyone. I can't wait to see this submarine across the seas!

PD: sorry for any grammar mistakes. I'm not english.

First, thank you for your feedback!! :smiley:
    So to answer you:
    1. sorry but yeah now it's too late to change the overall shape of the model. I have already done the UV mapping, and part of texturing, so it will just be a pain to change it. But in fact i have already made the tail shorter than the concept art. Furthermore, if the Cyclops were as large as the new submarine, its tail would be the same length. :)
    2. Yeah that's what i was thinking too! I assigned function to room but this is just that. As I said, several rooms will have a lot of space for the player to customize them. Like inside the Cylops but bigger :) I had also an idea, that all the room would be modular, you could put as you wish any room anywhere.
    3. Ahah yeah that's a great idea too, and why not glasses? it would be so fun! ;) But for that feature i can do nothing. I can still do the 3D model but i can't make that feature possible by myself, i need to have the game engine too. So here this would be the job of the devs ^^
    4. Yeah i know that too, but I try to be as close as the original one for 2 reasons : It will be easier to be accepted by the devs (if this happen *-*) if the model is not a "fanart" , and also, if you watch the original concept art of the cyclops, and you compare the picture and the 3D model in the game, you will see that this is EXACTLY the same! xD

Ahah thanks! I'm gonna put an update soon for the texturing :)

PS : Don't worry, me neither! :smiley:
    UPDATE!!!

Sorry for the lack of update guys, but i'm currently working on a big part and i wanted to show you interesting content. So now i'm going to show you great things! I have focused on the UV mapping and the texturing of the model, still based on the original concept. I began by making the texture of the hull. I made a huge step forward but this is still not finish!! Indeed it takes so much time to do this. And also because i'm not very talented at doing so, i'm still learning! And I wanted to warn you. This is only the diffuse map of the texture, there are not yet normal map or anything. Moreover this is the base texture, without lighting, shaders or graphical features that we will see in the game! So yeah it might look a little boring. I will continue on working on the texture, finishing the hull and then on the other objects.

And before showing you pictures, I wanted to say something! I think i found a good name for the new submarine! What do you think of Atlas ??? :tongue:
    • Orthographic view of the overall submarine, same angle as the concept art.

SUBNAUTICA_23.pngheberger image
    • Orthographic view of the overall submarine from above.

SUBNAUTICA_24.pnghebergeur gratuit
    • The actual diffuse map of the model.

SUBNAUTICA_25.pngimage gratuite à télécharger
    This picture belongs to me and to Unknown Worlds for the concept art.

And as always, hope you will like it !!! :smiley:
  • ElMonstroElMonstro Germany Join Date: 2016-08-21 Member: 221570Members
    edited August 2016
    I really like this conceptart and the name Atlas sounds neat, but you practically made the same mistake that needs the depthupgrades for the cyclops. This abstract gigantic glassfront. Glass is a major safetyfactor, limiting hullstrength and enduring pressure.
    Its more or less a final design but maybe you can add some slidable armorplatings, covering the glass for diving below 500m?

Nonetheless, damn cool design! I would love to see it in the game.
    Maybe the Devs could make it as a present for us Earlies or something? :smiley:
    ElMonstro wrote: »
    I really like this conceptart and the name Atlas sounds neat, but you practically made the same mistake that needs the depthupgrades for the cyclops. This abstract gigantic glassfront. Glass is a major safetyfactor, limiting hullstrength and enduring pressure.
    Its more or less a final design but maybe you can add some slidable armorplatings, covering the glass for diving below 500m?

Nonetheless, damn cool design! I would love to see it in the game.
    Maybe the Devs could make it as a present for us Earlies or something? :smiley:

Thanks for your feedback! The idea you point out is relevant, i agree with you. But i will keep the model like that for multiple reasons (i can still manage to add things to the model, but this is to change things that is though). Firstly, i want to stay as close as the original picture, secondly i don't think that Subnautica is a game about realism and there would be the technology for such constraint. And finally, a big glass is way more fun for the game experience in my opinion! :) But still, your idea is not that bad ;)
    Ahah before that, i'm going to finish it. It had to be as perfect as possible! :p
    @ElMonstro
    Well, maybe it could be a special sort of glass. Much stronger than enameled glass. Maybe a super strong plexiglass that you find the raw materials for deep beneath the waves, and it'd replace the enemaled glass required for the Cyclops, and the PRAWN suit and Seamoth would require enameled glass.
  • ElMonstroElMonstro Germany Join Date: 2016-08-21 Member: 221570Members
    Minder wrote: »
    Firstly, i want to stay as close as the original picture, secondly i don't think that Subnautica is a game about realism and there would be the technology for such constraint. And finally, a big glass is way more fun for the game experience in my opinion! :) But still, your idea is not that bad ;)
    Ahah before that, i'm going to finish it. It had to be as perfect as possible! :p

First point, granted :)
    Second one.. Oh but such platings would be both. Realistic and keep the glassfunpart ;)
    Ähm maybe it will allow moddimg someday? Make sure to keep everything about your project at hand. I would love to explore later vast zones in this Sub
    @ElMonstro
    Well, maybe it could be a special sort of glass. Much stronger than enameled glass. Maybe a super strong plexiglass that you find the raw materials for deep beneath the waves, and it'd replace the enemaled glass required for the Cyclops, and the PRAWN suit and Seamoth would require enameled glass.

Yeah, i also believe that this sub will just be a pain in the a** to build, because of all the hard ressources you will need to gather ^^
    ElMonstro wrote: »
    Minder wrote: »
    Firstly, i want to stay as close as the original picture, secondly i don't think that Subnautica is a game about realism and there would be the technology for such constraint. And finally, a big glass is way more fun for the game experience in my opinion! :) But still, your idea is not that bad ;)

First point, granted :)
    Second one.. Oh but such platings would be both. Realistic and keep the glassfunpart ;)
    Ähm maybe it will allow moddimg someday? Make sure to keep everything about your project at hand. I would love to explore later vast zones in this Sub

Yeah for sure, but for now, i will keep it like that :) Maybe in the future it will change :)
    And yeah that would be so cool *-* And don't worry, that's what i'm doing! :smiley:
This discussion has been closed.