Everything respawns, latest version (or Too Many Resources)

2»

Comments

• TerraBladeTerraBlade Join Date: 2015-05-25 Member: 204886Members
    I see your point, but for me the game sort of became a "clicking simulator" where I don't need to actually search for resources, I just swim a little and I know I find one. I was thinking of some gameplay mechanics that would motivate the players to (eventually) rebuild the base elsewhere, that would actually be fun (for me, at least).

When solar panels weren't breaking I would keep some 'way-station' bases. So if I wanted to pick up a lot of quartz as an example to make glass I didn't have to drive the cyclops over there and didn't have to make constant trips. I also set up a small base in the inactive lava zone since it is a pain to navigate all the way down and back up again. If/when base damage comes into play and we have any need to raise more dangerous specimens I probably will have a separate base for that as well....or a very long walkway at least.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    bwc153 wrote: »
    Ralij wrote: »
    Perhaps the spawn rate can be lowered a bit to push players into exploring new areas and give some challenge mid-game, but keep the respawn in so that the builder-types aren't completely hamstrung by the finite resources over the full game experience.
    Creative mode is for builders.

Creative mode takes all the fun out of building. What satisfaction am I to get from setting up farms and filtration machines when I don't need to fill my stomach?
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    Perhaps the spawn rate can be lowered a bit to push players into exploring new areas and give some challenge mid-game, but keep the respawn in so that the builder-types aren't completely hamstrung by the finite resources over the full game experience.

Creative mode takes all the fun out of building. What satisfaction am I to get from setting up farms and filtration machines when I don't need to fill my stomach?

The same satisfaction you get by using cheats in The Sims to make a super awesome house.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited September 2016
    DrownedOut wrote: »

The same satisfaction you get by using cheats in The Sims to make a super awesome house.

The Sims isn't my thing. Closest I can get probably are the money cheats for games like Roller Coaster Tycoon and Theme Hospital. I can't say I've never used them, but almost solely to compensate for bugs and it took all the satisfaction out of the levels for a good while going.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    ... while there aren't peepers around when I exit the base, I just swim a little and something "kicks in" and seemingly respawns them in the area...

Do you honestly think ONE person who is apparently alone on an entire ocean planet can completely wipe out a species of fish, such as peepers? Come on! Even if you ate nothing but peepers you wouldn't dent the local population. For every one fish you eat there are probably hundreds if not thousands being born elsewhere who then swim into your area.

I think that the current regeneration rate of resources is fine as it is. It's enough that when I want a particular resource I have to swim to the biome I most commonly find them in and then search and harvest them.
  • CheekySparrowCheekySparrow Russia, Sochi Join Date: 2016-08-26 Member: 221730Members
    edited September 2016
    Myrm wrote: »
    ... while there aren't peepers around when I exit the base, I just swim a little and something "kicks in" and seemingly respawns them in the area...

Do you honestly think ONE person who is apparently alone on an entire ocean planet can completely wipe out a species of fish, such as peepers? Come on!

Do you really think 5 plasteel ingots are enough to build a Cyclops? :) We're not talking 100% simulation of reality, moreover, it's an alien ocean, with only like 10 species of fish (and even less edible ones). Since whole situation is completely unreal, I believe it's better to view things from gameplay perspective, rather than measure 'closeness to reality'. And current gameplay perspective means that you can catch dozens of peepers barehanded, which sort of devalues other cool possibilities of getting food.

• IcremunIcremun Join Date: 2016-09-12 Member: 222276Members
    In short, resources do re-spawn i believe this is due to the fact that previously it was not impossible to almost completely drain the map of them especially Quartz, which was problematic to say the least.