[Bug] Damage to one Module can cause damage to non connected hallways + strange flooding mechanics

mikeloevenmikeloeven Join Date: 2017-04-14 Member: 229623Members
edited April 2017 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
Today my scanner room was damaged and surprisingly all of the multipurpose rooms in my base began flooding despite the fact that there were closed bulkheads along the hallway that should have prevented this. Expected and proper behavior would be reflect damage only in the module that actually suffered the damage and any other modules within the base should remain both powered and dry until the water level in the damaged module rises sufficiently to flood the attached hallways.

This issue seems intermittent as I was only able to see the spreading damage issue 3 times out of 10 separate tests.

On further investigation I found two issues contributing to the flooding.

Firstly it appears as though the issue is with the draining system more than with the bulkheads as they appear to successfully seal the compartments however when closed the water will not always drain from a partially flooded module.

Secondly damage dealt to a specific module can cause breaches in hallways a significant distance from the module that took the hit this resulted in my initial thought that the flooding was somehow bypassing the bulkheads when in fact it was a small hole in a corridor on the other side of the base that was somehow caused by damage inflicted on the first module. This is how the flooding was bypassing the bulkhead and it indicates that damage needs to be more localized.

Also the mechanics of flooding are problematic for example if you open a bulkhead to a flooded corridor the water levels do not equalize IE the water will not rush inward and you will essentially encounter a static wall of water held there by an invisible forcefield (I think this is a bug since if the base had structural integrity force fields, bulkheads would not be needed to prevent flooding in the first place)

also if the bulkhead hatch opened outward into the flooded compartment the pressure would prevent it from being opened in the first place.

Comments

• RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited April 2017
    Ive noticed this too and came to realize that on this planet most laws of physics seemed to have been replaced with the concept of ''Magic'' :smiley:

I mostly use the bulkheads only for aesthetic purposes as they really dont do much as you described in your post. When you hit your base it seems no matter where its hit there will be leaks appearing at random, sometimes even on different levels. In fact i sometimes build bases outside the water and if you damage it it'll leak and flood as if it was underwater lol

On 4546b the water is magic i tell ya! :wink:
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    At some point in the future, it might be cool if the game included room-by-room structural integrity so that damage to one building wouldn't be transferred to the entire base. For now, though, it seems there is just a single base strength number for the entire base. When any part of the base receives damage, I assume that affects the strength of the entire base. Then, leaks may spring from any random part of the base.