My evaluation of the silent running update...

HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members
First off props to UWE for adding a ton of new content to the game, new models, new icons, new animations, fantastic all around. A very impressive amount of work that I greatly appreciate.

I am perfectly fine with the modifications to the cyclops, they've been well balanced and keep players on their toes. I do, however, wish the thing was more useful. It's a lot of work to make and maintain for a giant mobile locker that is very hard to maneuver and can't fit in a lot of places. I find the game is a lot easier to just not bother. Certainly doesn't help that it still makes my game crash. Though it's not a big deal leaving it as an optional feature. There are clearly plenty of people who do enjoy it, even if I am not one so maybe it doesn't need anything.

Critters are super aggressive in the deeper biomes now. Constantly fending off attacks from warpers, crabsquids and the like, not to mention the super protective Sea Dragon. Aggressive creatures is fine and I was able to deal with everything, but it would be nice if chasing them away caused them to keep away for just awhile. If I can drive Reapers into different biomes by drilling their skulls for awhile I should be able to chase of the likes of Warpers and Crabsquids. And we need something to deal with those Dragons. Nothing to easy, of course, but the thing constantly knocking me off the castle and not having any real defense other than hoping he gets bored and wanders off long enough for me to get lucky and slip in. I have no idea how we are supposed to get passed the one in the ALZ in front of the main containment facility. That is going to be bonkers.

The one thing that really bugs me is the knife. I kept rupturing my habitat when I was trying to cut plants for seeds, and then I destroyed my prawn trying to cut off those leeches. I should not be able to cause so much damage to my own stuff with a knife, not even the hardened knife.

Performance is terrible but that could be my laptop, it's a couple years old now. Also it's early access so to be expected. I am very much looking forward to optimization eventually when it hits 1.0

I have yet to see the Sunbeam's model. I see the effects but not the ship, consistently in every game even when starting over.

Everything else is still good and the game is still a lot of fun to play. Props guys on the great work!

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Make sure your graphics drivers are up to date, make sure Windows is up to date, and then verify your game file integrity in Steam. Then if that doesn't work, clear your cache (second line of my signature). If not, complete uninstall, delete Subnautica folder, reinstall. If not then I honestly don't know.
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    I didn't use the new Cyclops very much. But I can confirm the deep fauna is more agressive. Sea Dragon's attacks are so powerful they create rifts on the space-time continuum, and the homing fireballs of death hit my PRAWN outside the Thermal Reactor, but inside the Lava Castle.
    kingkuma wrote: »
    These are not the actual rules. Some may apply, some might not. Post your rule ideas in comments. If I like it, I'll add it.
    The list so far:
    1. You don't talk about multiplayer.
    2. You DON'T talk about multiplayer.
    3. Don't mention lag if @0x6A7232 is in the discussion. (You'll just get something along the lines of "read the first link in my sig")
    4. Don't anger @Obraxis . He brings the will of the devs!
    5. Whatever creature there is, there is someone obsessed with it.
    6. Whatever creature there is, there is someone who made a political party for it.
    7. Whatever creature there is, someone is working on a moe personification of it. (actually this goes with anything in existence.)
    8. If @phantomfinch is in a discussion, there is a good chance an anime meme will be posted.
    9. Please think of all the ways your thread title could be taken. Some people will be all over that.
    10. If there is a pun involving subnautica, expect @kingkuma to make a "bad joke ampeel" meme for it.
    11. If you say you dislike the game , you will start a vicious flame war that can only end when @Kouji_San gets the crocodile out of retirement.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Make sure your graphics drivers are up to date, make sure Windows is up to date, and then verify your game file integrity in Steam. Then if that doesn't work, clear your cache (second line of my signature). If not, complete uninstall, delete Subnautica folder, reinstall. If not then I honestly don't know.

Never fail in delivering :smile:
  • HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

I did try all this and nothing has helped with the graphical bugs. I would think it's my laptop being two years old now but it seems just about everyone is having the same bugs. Starting the game up from scratch has instant framerate slowdown, which doesn't get better even by lowering quality to clearing the cache.

I can live with the bugs for now, it's Early Access after all. Just looking forward to 1.0 for optimization that much more.