I want to build a Giant Base, Where should I build it?

AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
NOTE: I accidentally posted before i could put all the choices, so if you came up with another biome, comment it please, thanks. (oh and Ignore my vote)

Comments

• BlueSpottedPepperBlueSpottedPepper Austria Join Date: 2017-10-21 Member: 233656Members
    Mountains and dunes don't have much to offer and are far too dangerous, especially dunes. Grand reef also has the benefit of many important other biomes in the region and a lot of resources.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    edited November 2017
    Not much to offer? You, my good sir, have never built a mountains base. You can get everything easily (using the teleporters), except for acid mushrooms, and you can farm those. You can get all the minerals you need from the outcrops, (except maybe the rubies, and the LR has those), and just re-scan blueprints from the wrecks for extra TI. The grand reef is pretty, and has lots to offer as well, but the mountains' teleporters clinches the deal for me.

Oh - the lost river is also a great place for a giant base, near the tree would be nice, or you could build a lava zone base for lots of free power.
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    kingkuma wrote: »
    Not much to offer? You, my good sir, have never built a mountains base. You can get everything easily (using the teleporters), except for acid mushrooms, and you can farm those. You can get all the minerals you need from the outcrops, (except maybe the rubies, and the LR has those), and just re-scan blueprints from the wrecks for extra TI. The grand reef is pretty, and has lots to offer as well, but the mountains' teleporters clinches the deal for me.

Oh - the lost river is also a great place for a giant base, near the tree would be nice, or you could build a lava zone base for lots of free power.

With the teleporters, yeah I'm thinking the mountains as well, just gotta watch for that reaper
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members

With the teleporters, yeah I'm thinking the mountains as well, just gotta watch for that reaper

Reapers. There's two, one guarding each wreck.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members

Reapers. There's two, one guarding each wreck.

Really? I've sometimes had problems with the Reaper on the Aurora side of the Volcano Isle but never near the Mountain Zone wrecks. Or has this changed recently?
  • Xenodrone98Xenodrone98 U.S Join Date: 2016-08-26 Member: 221726Members
    All honesty I would build it around the kelp forest and grassy plateaus since there are plenty of resources for base building there and it's fairly close to the surface.
  • VaeliusNoctuVaeliusNoctu deutschland Join Date: 2017-11-09 Member: 233906Members
    Thought about the Blood Kelp Islands or the Underwater Islands?
  • ReefseekerReefseeker Finland Join Date: 2015-05-21 Member: 204740Members
    Take Sparse Reef and it's massive caves.

One especially suitable entrance to the cave system lies near the Grand Reef border. It's almost like a natural harbour for the Cyclops if you align your base structures properly.
    edited November 2017

Ooh, that's a nice idea on the blood kelp..

Also, the overgrown caves crater leads to a cave big enough for at least 6 MP rooms, a couple observatories, a scanner room, and a moonpool. I did it, so can you!
    The crater:
    kbbkfexsen43.jpg
    ru35pigqg3gi.jpg
    The caves:
    e4krv19kib04.png
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members

Also, the overgrown caves crater leads to a cave big enough for at least 6 MP rooms, a couple observatories, a scanner room, and a moonpool. I did it, so can you!
    The crater:
    kbbkfexsen43.jpg
    ru35pigqg3gi.jpg
    The caves:
    e4krv19kib04.png
    I think I recognise that cave! It's in the Grassy Plateau around 100,?,-650, isn't it?
    Jacke wrote: »

The crater:
    kbbkfexsen43.jpg
    ru35pigqg3gi.jpg
    The caves:
    e4krv19kib04.png
    I think I recognise that cave! It's in the Grassy Plateau around 100,?,-650, isn't it?

Yup!
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members

The crater:
    kbbkfexsen43.jpg
    ru35pigqg3gi.jpg
    The caves:
    e4krv19kib04.png

This is definitely one of my favorite spots for making a base in the entire game.
  • KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
    I'm experimenting with a Blood Kelp Trench base in my present game. Tons of uraninite around for a nuclear base, tons of quartz, and the dunes nearby have all kinds of good resources for building. If you build around center level, you're out of the way of the warpers, too, and you're right near the entrance to Lost River, allowing for a good jumping off point to dive for things like nickle and sulphur.

Power is the one issue: there's no sun that deep, and no smokers anywhere around, so you either have to do some really distant relays, or you need to deal with nuclear and bioreactors. Fortunately, an alien containment filled with reggies *easily* keeps up with the power needs of the base even with a water filtration machine going.
  • KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members

Unless they've made it so bone sharks can't eat your seamoth while it's in the dock, islands is a *terrible* idea. I tried to make a base there and, while there's tons of hot spots, making for great power generation, the bone sharks kept destroying my seamoth while it was docked.

The whole area is bone shark central, and quite frankly, I'm more scared of bone sharks than almost any other predator in the game. Including Reaper Leviathans. I'd sooner make a base near a reaper than a pack of bone sharks!