Idea: Light, a viable defense?

SoldinSoldin Join Date: 2017-10-14 Member: 233551Members
I suffer from photosensitivity. What that means, essentially, is that strong light causes me severe pain, even more so if it is sudden and unexpected. A flash grenade in a game sends me recoiling into my chair, disoriented, confused and in pain, my sight severely diminished for several dozen seconds. Now imagine what, realistically, it would do to a deep-sea predator whose eyes have evolved to spot the faint light of bioluminescent prey and make out shapes in the abyssal darkness? I feel it would be really neat, and rather immersive, to have the ability to deter predators with a well-timed flash of the flashlight, seamoth headlights, or maybe even a specialized item (Extra use for sulphur?). This should not extend equally to all predators, however, as stalkers and sea dragons (for example) reside in relatively well-lit areas, and would be less affected. But a Reaper, Ghost or sandshark would likely recoil and become disoriented by it. Also, having sufficient external base lighting could potenitally deter predators from approaching. I would appreciate if those reading this could add some nuance I have neglected or overlooked in this brief summary of the concept.

Comments