This scanner was not made for titanium

SuaveSteveSuaveSteve Join Date: 2017-10-31 Member: 233793Members
1)

One thing I find frustrating every playthrough is not getting the blueprints I want. I'm not talking about getting them the instant I want them, I love looking for them, it's going back home with 10 titanium and not that last laser cutter part I want that annoys me.

Instead of always rewarding me with titanium for when I scan a part I already have, have a chance to award a part I do not have. This still incentivises me to explore. The parts could also have weighted chances for this roll, and you could exclude the vehicles entirely to not leave the wreck parts (like bits of the Seamoth) irrelevent.

2)

Remove the actual names when you aim the scanner at the part, it kills the mystery; just make it "Blueprint Part" or something.

Comments

• baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    1) Search around in Creepvine Forests and the wreck near Lifepod 17.

2) This is not gonna happen for a bunch of reasons. Suffice it to say there's a reason fragments no longer spawn as boxes in some instances; the devs decided on making things more specific-- not less.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Sorry, but I see a lot of major negatives for nearly no positive.

You'd have to convert it all over to generic "fragments" and have it award progress on random blueprints. Part of the design brilliance of the fragment system is that you can tell what the fragment belongs to by looking at it. If I scan a laser cutter fragment, I jolly well expect a laser cutter for my trouble, not a blueprint I don't want and don't need as much. Personally, I'd view that as a serious step backward.

If you already know how to build a wheelbarrow, you don't learn about the construction of a microwave by looking at one. Messing with the blueprint research system would really only destroy immersion and logical consistency. Having to hunt for fragments is a major part of the game. Yes, it can be very frustrating sometimes, I agree, but nerfing the fragment system to that degree isn't the answer.

The titanium consolation prize was added to make surplus fragments have some value - before that change, scanning a fragment for which you already had a blueprint did nothing - and that was a fair compromise. When titanium gets tight during major build and expansion, that extra titanium makes a huge difference in gameplay.

Rather than scanning every fragment you see, keep an eye on what blueprints you have and don't scan those fragments unless you need more titanium. Like any survival game (or, for that matter, survival situation), it's about making good choices based on circumstances, needs, and resources.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    edited November 2017
    SuaveSteve wrote: »
    1)

One thing I find frustrating every playthrough is not getting the blueprints I want. I'm not talking about getting them the instant I want them, I love looking for them, it's going back home with 10 titanium and not that last laser cutter part I want that annoys me.

Instead of always rewarding me with titanium for when I scan a part I already have, have a chance to award a part I do not have. This still incentivises me to explore. The parts could also have weighted chances for this roll, and you could exclude the vehicles entirely to not leave the wreck parts (like bits of the Seamoth) irrelevent.

2)

Remove the actual names when you aim the scanner at the part, it kills the mystery; just make it "Blueprint Part" or something.

1. I'm almost always in need of more titanium for base building and such. Collecting new blueprint pieces out of unrelated scannable items doesn't make sense anyhow.

2. You mean remove the 0.8 seconds of "mystery" before you scan and obtain the first piece of an item's blueprint? Why even bother?
  • SuaveSteveSuaveSteve Join Date: 2017-10-31 Member: 233793Members

1) Search around in Creepvine Forests and the wreck near Lifepod 17.

2) This is not gonna happen for a bunch of reasons. Suffice it to say there's a reason fragments no longer spawn as boxes in some instances; the devs decided on making things more specific-- not less.

The laser cutter was just an example, we'd be here all day if I was complaining about finding things :)

The models can be kept as is; the point is the player, you, doesn't necessarily know what something is the first time you are looking at it. Is it a piece of a bath tub or a part of a glass dome? Who knows! Scan it and find out! If you come across it again, the label can be shown then, but that's just a consistency thing.

2. You mean remove the 0.8 seconds of "mystery" before you scan and obtain the first piece of an item's blueprint? Why even bother?

Sometimes it's the little things.

You'd have to convert it all over to generic "fragments" and have it award progress on random blueprints. Part of the design brilliance of the fragment system is that you can tell what the fragment belongs to by looking at it. If I scan a laser cutter fragment, I jolly well expect a laser cutter for my trouble, not a blueprint I don't want and don't need as much. Personally, I'd view that as a serious step backward.

No, you wouldn't. You are acting as if I said it should be random at first and all the time. This entire paragraph has nothing to do with what I said.

If you already know how to build a wheelbarrow, you don't learn about the construction of a microwave by looking at one. Messing with the blueprint research system would really only destroy immersion and logical consistency. Having to hunt for fragments is a major part of the game. Yes, it can be very frustrating sometimes, I agree, but nerfing the fragment system to that degree isn't the answer.

Yes, I understand it does not make sense and I agree with your logic; but, I was making the suggestion in order to ease frustrations in a game that already does not care about you opening a hatch that isn't on the bottom of an air cavity and letting the water in. My idea is actually in danger of potentially buffing the system by letting players not have to explore as extensively.

The titanium consolation prize was added to make surplus fragments have some value - before that change, scanning a fragment for which you already had a blueprint did nothing - and that was a fair compromise. When titanium gets tight during major build and expansion, that extra titanium makes a huge difference in gameplay.

1. I'm almost always in need of more titanium for base building and such. Collecting new blueprint pieces out of unrelated scannable items doesn't make sense anyhow.

This is just using it as a crutch for titanium shortage. Wasn't that the job for metal salvage?

• jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    How you worded it in the first place made it look like you wanted it to be random....also no. They won't make it so you can scan something to get the blueprint for something else. That makes no sense and removes the point of exploring!