GPU usage in VR (Rift)

AndyBiggyAndyBiggy Join Date: 2018-01-29 Member: 236209Members
I've been more than happy with visuals, but occasionally notice a bit of stuttering.
I have Ryzen 1600 oc'ed all core to 3.9Ghz, 1080Ti @ 1974Mhz core, 5623 Mhz mem.

I ran the Oculus Tray tool and enabled Performance Visual HUD to show fps etc.

During gameplay ASW is constantly kicking in and framerate switches between 90 and 45.
Using MSI Afterburner logging my GPU usage is average 70% usage and the peaks max are <= 80%.

Anyone tell why this could be happening? Lowering graphics settings to low and turning off AA etc. helps a bit (keeping at 90fps) but not much.

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    There's a non-VR bug where the games stutters and the GPU usage drops really low as well (20 or 40% IIRC). Probably a bug lurking somewhere.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I have noticed severe fps drops still, even in v1.
    It happens mostly in player build bases, making me think part of what is running there is a big cause for fps drops.

It also seems to be CPU related.
    At the moment I am CPU capped. I am running a nvidia gtx 1080, slightly factory OCed. Its not really having a hard time with SN on even the most advanced graphics settings. Most of the time its easily pushing 70+.
    The cpu however is 'only' a first gen i7. (note that strictly speaking the minimum requirements say fourth gen cpu minimum. (Haswell)

I noticed a few things after ignoring SNs fps for many patches.
    First of all its utilizing a lot more cores then it used to. So kudo's there.
    Second most of the load is on 2 cores.
    Before I OCed this old CPU I noticed both cores easily went over 80% cpu usage vs my new GPU. (its not flat out 100% but that doesnt mean its not cpu capped.)
    After I OCed and went from 3.2 to 3.7, I saw a slight difference.
    * CPU usage on all cores went down.
    * CPU usage on one of the 2 biggest loaded cores went down from a constant 80%+ to hover in-between 60% to 80%ish.. So this second thread seems to be no longer cpu capped.
    * The other remaining loaded core did not have its usage reduced, making me assume im still CPU capped.

On every stutter I see my gpu usage plummet. Possible bugs aside, this makes me think the CPU just cant keep up feeding the GPU new frames. Which obviously will make GPU usage go down during that moment.

While I am on gsync, it does not seem to matter if I disable it or not. various modes of fullscreen or windowed do not seem to help either.

So there you go, all seems to relate to CPU cap especially in player build locations. :)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    That's what I was just thinking:
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Some were saying GPU usage dropped when lag spikes occurred. What happens to CPU usage? Do they both drop, or does CPU usage max (meaning the game becomes CPU bound)?

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Yup, its why im tuning in on the convo.
    I have watched SN performance since earlier release and decided to chip in again on the recent one.
    Sadly the windowmode exclusive option isnt giving me much extra either.