Boarding stations and subs.

AnachAnach Join Date: 2018-06-10 Member: 241279Members
I'd like to see a more realistic airlock system, where you need a double-door and need to flood or empty a chamber before entering your base or the Cyclops.

The Cyclops already has a double door which would serve this purpose. Bases could have an airlock section added, rather than simply a hatch (would just be a pipe with hatches each end). The Seamoth would flood the compartment when you enter or exit, and require the water level to lower while you are seated. As the chambers would be small, the flooding and emptying times would be very quick compared to a flooded base.

Comments

• elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    I agree that this would be more realistic and kind of cool, but given the style of gameplay and how often a player enters and exits their base, I think thios would become real annoying real fast. I have a feeling UWE considered this when designing the way airlocks currently work. Just a hunch, though.
  • AnachAnach Join Date: 2018-06-10 Member: 241279Members
    elfcrisis wrote: »
    I agree that this would be more realistic and kind of cool, but given the style of gameplay and how often a player enters and exits their base, I think thios would become real annoying real fast. I have a feeling UWE considered this when designing the way airlocks currently work. Just a hunch, though.

The delay shouldn't be much more than the opening bulkhead animations. The hatches could be automated and swing open as soon as the pipe was empty/full. and I was thinking the delay would also serve as a save point (which is badly needed). So delaying the action of entering and exiting a few seconds would help prevent lag or crashes during save. The Seamoth would be the same on entering, as you could start moving while it's still emptying. Exiting would be delayed a few seconds though, but another good time for an auto-save.

I guess they could make it so you can open the hatch entering the base (one door is always closed when the other is open), but doing so would let a small amount of water into the base.
    @Anach That delay in opening bulkhead doors is one reason I don't use them. I like the idea of an auto-save on entering the base, though.
  • AnachAnach Join Date: 2018-06-10 Member: 241279Members
    elfcrisis wrote: »
    @Anach That delay in opening bulkhead doors is one reason I don't use them. I like the idea of an auto-save on entering the base, though.

The trouble with save the way it is now, it lags the client, which I'm sure is why you need to pause to save right now. Compression might help, which is apparently coming, but the game needs a better save system all-round. Having a delayed entry would help combat that auto-save lag.

As for the bulkheads and water-tight entries, I think the compromise of a small amount of flooding would be fine if using the hatch. Should be possible to add a toggle for extended animations, for things like bulkhead doors and water-tight entry. Doors in this game are a bit inconsistent anyway; the doors on the Cyclops don't work like the other doors in the game; doors on wrecks and bulkheads have full animations, hatches have a super-quick animation, Cyclops has none. The same goes with ladders, some have animations, other's don't. Honestly, I prefer the animations, as it adds realism, but at the same time, I can understand some people don't like them, so I'd love to see the missing animations added, and an "Extended animations" toggle added for all these type animations overall.
    @Anach An "extended animations" toggle would be brilliant. This is the best idea I've heard in a long time.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    I don't mind animations.
    SN is a very chilling game, there's no need to rush to the end. Anything that adds immersion is a big plus, even at the cost of some idle game time.
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    I heartily agree with the airlock notion. I would gladly wait the 3 seconds for airlock purging. This small change would make the game much, much more immersive.

I'd also hope to see the PRAWN updated for dry-access only. This would make it more the deep sea armour it could be. It would also give the Cyclops a compelling reason for being built.

However, the Seamoth needs to keep its wet-access for resource gathering (it's canopy might be made to flood & purge accordingly).

But right now the cartoon depth mechanics (jumping into your base though windows etc.) is really letting a good game down.

Come on Devs!
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    BlueBottle wrote: »
    However, the Seamoth needs to keep its wet-access for resource gathering (it's canopy might be made to flood & purge accordingly).
    Come on Devs!
    The Seamoth should be a wet sub. Maybe with a quick animation (~1-2 sec) showing the protagonist grabbing some sort of breathing apparatus and bringing it to his face. The Seamoth shouldn't be unresponsive during this animation.
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    Yeah, a wet sub for the Seamoth seems like a good solution. No purging delay required there.