Sensory First Doesn't Always Mean A Loss?

2»

Comments

• BolterBolter Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8331Members
    I can attest to the fact that you can recover from a "sensory first" blunder.
    We were playing Eclipse, on a pub, and our first-timer gorge put up a sensory chamber. He promptly got his ears blistered, and was told to go skulk, which he did. We explained to him that your fades were a lot better off with regen and adrenaline, but now, we'd have to do without one. He apologized for the mistake, and we played on.
    We got the second hive up, core, about the time the Marines got eclipse secured. It was a close vote, but the majority wanted DCs as the second upgrade. I'd prefered adrenaline myself, but that was that. Enter the meat grinder...
    It was extremely hard work to defend core from sieging attemts. We had to use fades in umbra to rush the many siege farms that they tried to set up. Sadly for us, they had a competent commander, and he never tried the same spot twice. We were realy missing movement chambers at this time. Not only because of adrenaline, but so we could move between hives better. We lost an inordinate amount of fades being used with skulk-rushing tactics, but without adrenaline, acid rockets just wouldn't do the job.
    We were prety well stalemated for about 20 minutes. There was this vicious cycle going on. They'd arm-up, throw the kitchen sink at us, and start a siege farm. We'd rush them as they were building, destroyed the farm, and counter-attacked Eclipse with the aim to destroy their phase gate, and TF.
    It was not fun for anyone. Not a few seconds passed without someone proposing to mass-f4 on global chat. It was that painfull. No one wanted to quit though, damn our blood-thirsty hearts. Eventualy we tried two Lerks stagering umbra at Eclipse, and we cracked the TF. We kept on pouring Skulks untill we finished it off. I thought we were going to choke because folks would try to go fade, but everyone kept at it, and we got our third hive. It ended soon after...thank god!

Pretty long-winded, but I just wanted to make three things evident:

1) It is the team that wins the game, not the upgrade.

2) If you are a "sensory-first" advocate...behold the pain that is in store for you, even if you win.

3) By the end of the match, our would-be george, was third in kills, and knew what an impact building the wrong thing has on a team. I'm glad he toughed-out the reaming and finished the game.