Fgd-version-problems

TinManTinMan Join Date: 2002-04-14 Member: 445Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Actual fgd, where is it?</div>After messing around why my particle systems won't work, I noticed my FGD is Version 1.0, but a few lines down in it's built-in history it says 1.7-...

// last update: 12/14/01 ?  *confused*

I noticed also paticle systems are using other keys than described in the fgd. Most keys start with p-; but the key used begin with particle-.

Where can I get a new fgd-file? If NSTR's version is 2.0, why says the fgd '1.7'?

My particles work fine for now, but editing the w/o smartedit reminds me of good ol' DN3D-editor 'Build.exe'... 'What was that hi-tag for teleporters again?! -or was it the lo-tag?'

Thanks for help

Comments

• MoleculorMoleculor Namer-of-Bob Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 9Members
    The FGD on the download site should be the latest one.

Particle prefixes were too long, so they were shortned to p to get around bugs. However, the old particle prefixes were left in for backwards compatability.

As for version numbers and dates and stuff... no clue. But the one on the Download site should be the most recent one.
  • TinManTinMan Join Date: 2002-04-14 Member: 445Members
    So, that p- is the correct format. Then I don't understand why the ps' in bounce are working. They use the partice- format!

When I use the keys offered in Smartedit, nothing works. But when I use those given in an ps copied from bounce w/o using smartedit (cos they aren't displayed otherwise) it works!
  • MoleculorMoleculor Namer-of-Bob Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 9Members
    I forget what were example maps, but I'm assuming that bounce was one of them? It was designed using the old system, and I think if you edit/delete the old versions and copy the old info over to the new fields, it should work fine. Create a new particle system, and you should be using the p ones instead of the particle ones.

Again, as I said, the particle- ones were kept in so that older maps would still work. Just ignore them, and use the p- ones.

<!--EDIT|Moleculor|April 19 2002,18:13-->
  • TinManTinMan Join Date: 2002-04-14 Member: 445Members
    Ok, thanks a lot... I'll change that...
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    I'm not sure what's going on here, but, a couple things to keep in mind.  The old particle fields ARE read in by NS, but using them may still give you problems, so don't.  This is why bounce continues to work.  Also, if you're seeing weird problems, make sure you have the latest NSTR2, make sure you're using the .fgd that comes with it, then delete your particle systems and recreate them.  Don't copy them from other maps, and don't edit old particle systems, that will likely give you problems.  Good luck.