Something About "the" Tactic

2»

Comments

• AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--Koenig+Mar 13 2003, 10:19 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Koenig @ Mar 13 2003, 10:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> [Where I play, skulks gennerally have kill rates < 1 until the DC starts going up, since the Khraa spawn slower, hunting THEM down seems a bit more realistic. Marines should definitly be hunting the alien res not the other way around. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Where <b><i>I</i></b> play, skulks usually have a >2:1 ratio before arms lab upgrades.
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    Good marines > skulks, not-so-good-marines < skulks.

Skill matters - but mostly on the marine side. As marine, once you know the map and all the ambush places, once you get enough aiming skill ... then there isn't a whole lot a single skulk can do to you. Sure, good skulks are more bothersome than bad skulks, but until they either start swarming you or get lvl 3 carap, skulks are mostly dead.
  • ThaymeThayme Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8814Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->1:st time: On ns_nothing we relocate to cargo, I manage to convince the COM to give me a shotty for base defense. I walk around the cargo area killing off skulks for a while. When I am at the intersection of the long hallway leading to docking wing I get attacked by a group of skulks. I start backing up and pop the first one, the second one, the third one... all in all 5 skulks attacked me and I killed them all with 5 shots. After the last one was dead I checked my health and it was still at 100. With an LMG I would have taken *max* 2 of them (they had carapace) and let 3 skulks through to harass our base. Thing with the shotgun is that it kills so *quickly*. Even a great shot have to get off like 20 shots to kill *one* skulk with an LMG (if they have cara), leaving the others time to close in.
    2:nd time our base is going down, I respawn on a shotty and starts running against a Fade that just came in the door. I ran straight at him shooting and once I got close started to jump around him unloading. After 5 or 6 shots he went down, so did I, one second later, but 1 shotty killing 1 fade is ok, and it is still arond to be used.
    It does take more "skill" to use but I have above average aim. I'm also an avid CS player and AWP/M-wh0re, and the shotty is the closest thing to an AWM in NS. Basically you get one shot, if it is good, target is dead, if it isn't, you're dead. LMG is easy and even if you die you will usually at least injure the enemy, shotgun is more demanding but will enable you to kill *much* more enemies and still survive, if you use it right. So it's not the tool that is bad, it's the user.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Too many variables. You can't use pub examples in these analsies. In either of thoes examples the aliens could have been total noobs.

As for the reload at one shell, that is super cool. Thanks for the tip.
  • 3ncrypted_zer03ncrypted_zer0 Join Date: 2002-12-24 Member: 11458Members
    Why don't you just siege the hive?
  • ZiGGYZiGGY Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12479Members
    shooting the hives faster :/ My favourite tactic is the simultaneous 3 hive siege MUAHAHAAAHHAHA
  • Mythr1lMythr1l Join Date: 2003-01-26 Member: 12772Members
    we played the SET clan in a match other day, they HMGJP rushed us but we beat them back, 3 of us went lerk in a 6v6, which hurt econ but we killed about 4 HMGJP before they killed our hive, but by that time hive 2 was almost complete, we kept killing them at Eclipse command hive when they attacked and eventually got comp core by killing their res nodes and using lerks to take down the JPHMG (since hive healing improved lerks defending hive are great). we won that game with fades 15 mins later.