Map Size

rimj0b_r0dentrimj0b_r0dent Join Date: 2003-03-16 Member: 14581Members
<div class="IPBDescription">is there any way....</div> Is there any way to change the map size in Hammer? I could really use more space. The map I'm making isn't really square and I don't want to make it what way, because the map should fit the outline of a spaceship.

On another note I'm also considering leaving team choosing out from my ready room. All the games I play people team stack. Or at least make them less accesible to discourage team stacking. What do you guys thing?

Comments

• BlackPantherBlackPanther Join Date: 2002-02-11 Member: 197Members
    You can't add more space.

Add more turns and twists to the hallways in your map if you're not having enough space.
    Also consider adding a lot more elevation changes to areas. This gives a LOT of space.

You're thinking too much in 2D man. Think 3D! your map doesn't just have 4096 units in the X/Y to work with, it's also got it in Z!

Keep all 4 options in your ready room.
    It's standard and noone likes not getting the option to choose.
  • tommy14tommy14 Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8839Members
    you could add more space for LOOKS, but not for USE.

the trick involves doors sliding out of a level, over the border. i have see it done with DoD maps to make it look like a bigger beach/landscape. it DOES add to r_speeds.

in NS i do not see much use for that technique.

as for 3d, remember overlapping does not work well for NS. so really you ARE stuck in a 2d plane, even though you can make it taller.
  • BlackPantherBlackPanther Join Date: 2002-02-11 Member: 197Members
    Yeah well that technique is useless.

Oh and it doesn't mean that vertical space = overlapping.
    It just gives the feeling of open space, which is just what you need.
  • masterswordmanmasterswordman Join Date: 2002-12-21 Member: 11303Members
    translation = Have different elevation, but no floor on top of annother floor. You can't build on one of the floors if you choose this method.
  • CageyCagey Ex-Unknown Worlds Programmer Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8829Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    edited March 2003
    <!--QuoteBegin--rimj0b r0dent+Mar 20 2003, 12:21 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (rimj0b r0dent @ Mar 20 2003, 12:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->On another note I'm also considering leaving team choosing out from my ready room. All the games I play people team stack. Or at least make them less accesible to discourage team stacking. What do you guys thing?<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you're making a map for pub play only and don't care about meeting the official technical requirements, then you could potentially do this... it'll have two immediate consequences though: the map will never be used for scrims/matches since teams can't set up properly (unless they want to use the console commands), and it'll never be considered for official submission since it doesn't meet the basic requirements set in the <a href='http://www.natural-selection.org/MappingGuidelines.htm' target='_blank'>Mapping Guidelines</a>.

IMO, you'd really be hurting the chances of the map being played regularly.

EDIT: The above applies to complete removal of the info_team_join entities... making the autoassign path easier to follow might help with stacking. Also, you can join a specific team from the console, so removing the ents wouldn't remove the choice, and match play would still be possible to set up.
  • blue2kblue2k Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4025Members
    you can also get 8192 cubic units to play with, but this requires a compile with a custom hull file.
  • rimj0b_r0dentrimj0b_r0dent Join Date: 2003-03-16 Member: 14581Members
    I changed my mind about leaving them out. They'll be there to satisfy the wicked needs of human nature.