Info_location

RozdowerRozdower Join Date: 2002-12-06 Member: 10514Members
<div class="IPBDescription">floor to ceiling?</div> I put an info_location that was 16 units high, and it was 40 units off the ground, so it would be about waist level for marines, but no name shows up, must it go floor to ceiling?

Comments

• thejackalthejackal Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13575Members
  • OlljOllj our themepark-stalking nightmare Fade Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10696Members
    Floor to ceeling just makes the filesize of your map HUGE and gives allock block full on much large info-locations.

Making small bottom-near info locations is better.
    I have no experience in how to place them the best way. Guess its the players-hulls half height?
    in 1.1 info locations z-axis will be ignored (like func nobuilds)....

Cover your info_location with the NULL texture too (just helps mapsize and compile speed).

If the info location is around a hive dont make it too large.
  • gagglegaggle Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10568Members
    Here's a thought: Place the entity-brush on the ground. That might do the trick (expect apparently for covering up hive-spots so their names appear in the HUD, need to cover the entire hive for that to happen).
  • alien1alien1 Join Date: 2003-03-18 Member: 14662Members
    i heard somewhere that in 1.1 info_locations are going to be z-axis independant, if a player comes within its x,y co ordinates the location name will show
  • KungFuSquirrelKungFuSquirrel Basher of Muttons Join Date: 2002-01-26 Member: 103Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    edited April 2003
    That's correct. The info_location displays (edit)<i>done this way now</i>(/edit) may not work completely correctly now, but any maps built with this in mind will be (at least, in this regard) fully compatible with 1.1 map design specs. I personally have resized all of mine to 8 units tall, and it seems a reasonable workable size while still keeping the used space pretty small.
  • BlackPantherBlackPanther Join Date: 2002-02-11 Member: 197Members
    hmmm i would of wished that the entity would of been point based instead of brush based.
    Just simple "RADIUS" feild would of done things lot easier and save on the number of brush based entities used.
  • KungFuSquirrelKungFuSquirrel Basher of Muttons Join Date: 2002-01-26 Member: 103Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Total entities is the problem, not brush or point. Since info_locations no longer count towards total entity count in 1.1 (thanks to some high-quality Flayra hax0ring, that's a moot point anyway).

Also, think about how you'd implement this. It'd be utter hell. Rooms aren't nice happy circles. To define a single location area, you'd probably have to sometimes use 2-4 just to prevent them from overlapping with the radii of other nearby location entities! Even then, it'd be far from perfect.

The idea method would involve no entities and a text file with a series of coordinates to bound each location area, but the problem is switching to this now would leave inconsistencies and minimal backwards compatibility between 1.0 and future versions. That's a rather ugly thing when you already have maps out using the other system. This way maps are still compatible with the new system, but it merely reduces some of the problems associated with the larger info_location brushes previously required.