A Script Question

TheLaughingManTheLaughingMan Join Date: 2003-06-13 Member: 17355Members
<div class="IPBDescription">your scripts</div> i have been playing ns for a while now and wanted to know what scripts people use the most.
im trying to put together my own but i run into a problem because i want to have certain configs for certain alien races. Is there a way to make it so when i go lerk it automacally exec my lerk.cfg?

Comments

• DoADrunkMonkeyDoADrunkMonkey Join Date: 2003-01-05 Member: 11902Members
    bind "PGUP" "+use ; +use"
    ^make ya use whatever in front of u, usefull for building withouth hurting ur fingers.
    bind "PGDN" "-use"
    ^stops ya buildinh
    bind "HOME" "+attack ; +attack"
    ^i use this for chomping marine res nodes
    bind "END" "-attack"
  • ForlornForlorn Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2634Banned
  • TiaxTiax Join Date: 2003-05-28 Member: 16802Members
    I agree, I wish there was a way to make it so scripts simply didnt' work.

Some may be nice but many just turn the game into a "whos the best scripter" rather then who is best at playing.

Scripts ruined jedi outcast
  • Minstrel_KnightMinstrel_Knight The truth and nothing but the truth... Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9562Banned
    alias stfyou "voiceoff"
    alias voiceoff "voice_scale 0; alias stfyou voiceon"
    alias voiceon "voice_scale 5; alias stfyou voiceoff"
    bind "x" "stfyou"
  • MausMaus Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5599Members
    edited June 2003
    For better aim when you need it:

alias +changesens "sensitivity 3"
    alias -changesens "sensitivity 9"

bind "m" "changesens"

with Mouse4 bound to M.

---

I generally agree with scripts=bad though. I think there are exceptions, like this one, and voice toggles, and that use toggle. None of those are cheaty, I don't think, so they're fine.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    I use a single script to rebind all my keys to Quake | keys.
    No, really, like, forward is mouse2, alternatefire is R, you know.
    I agree, some simple scripts like that voice volumn down are nice.

The ones im talking about are the ones that do a series of things for you. For instance "press A to instantly jetpack your way to the hive", etc. Scripts that replace skill.
    scripts aren`t magical powers.

they are just automating things u can already do in the game and still has the same limitations, so even the cheats which they do provide are not anything near as compliacted than any other hook ogl blah.
  • criticaIcriticaI Join Date: 2003-04-07 Member: 15269Banned, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--Tiax-+Jun 13 2003, 09:19 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Tiax- @ Jun 13 2003, 09:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> The ones im talking about are the ones that do a series of things for you. For instance "press A to instantly jetpack your way to the hive", etc. Scripts that replace skill. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ahahaha. You have complete ignorance of the Half-Life engine, all you do is whine like a newbie "scripts are lame." If you'd like to be enlightened, please feel free to PM. Knowledge = win. Blatant Ignorance = lame.
  • eve_playeroneeve_playerone Join Date: 2003-02-24 Member: 13929Members
    i use scripts to change configurations for whatever i'm doing, com,marine,lerk,gorg,ect.
    critical, that was just an example...though not a real one. Im well aware that you really wouldnt' be able to make a script to fly you to a hive and kill it.

While a script is just automating things you can already do, it can indeed be cheating and cheap. You are tellign the computer to do things you lack the skill to do. Ive not seen this as a huge problem in HL thank goodness. Jedi Outcast was by far the worst script hacking ive seen. People dont' even play the game, they just pusht he A button and let their scripts do the work.
    edited June 2003
    well in hl, scripts will never replace skill.
    but they are dead handy for doing things like labouris (boreing) tasks or mass rebinding.

hell u could script for urself to jump crouch, rotate 180 degress and fire ur gun all in a millisecond. but it`d still be pretty darn useless.

edit: i think the majority is saying, scripts are fine unless abused.
  • taboofirestaboofires Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9853Members
    The only real script abuse I see is pistol scripting (or mouse-wheel firing), which I'm pretty sure is gone now anyway. Otherwise, there is nothing that you can do with a script that you can't do better yourself anyway in HL mods.
  • TheLaughingManTheLaughingMan Join Date: 2003-06-13 Member: 17355Members
    really people i just want to talk about script not about noobs and if they like them or not. and no what ruined jedi knight was jedi knights
    <!--QuoteBegin--Tiax-+Jun 13 2003, 10:19 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Tiax- @ Jun 13 2003, 10:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> critical, that was just an example...though not a real one. Im well aware that you really wouldnt' be able to make a script to fly you to a hive and kill it.

While a script is just automating things you can already do, it can indeed be cheating and cheap. You are tellign the computer to do things you lack the skill to do. Ive not seen this as a huge problem in HL thank goodness. Jedi Outcast was by far the worst script hacking ive seen. People dont' even play the game, they just pusht he A button and let their scripts do the work. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've never seen a script yet that should be considered cheating. Scripts are 100 % good, and you guys can't even come up with anything thats bad.

Sure, you can whine about a pistol script... they are somewhat lame.. but thats truely the only script I've ever felt like I got owned by. Any other time I got owned, I've always felt like it was the skill of the opponent or my own dumb mistakes.
  • TheLaughingManTheLaughingMan Join Date: 2003-06-13 Member: 17355Members
    edited June 2003
    the mouse wheel fire isnt even a script all you do is go to options and set wheel up and down as fire. its good for your pistols but not your machine guns. its good to mess with your friends and make them think you are a h4xor.
    what are the all the variables for ns?
  • a_civiliana_civilian Likes seeing numbers Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12041Members, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead
    <!--QuoteBegin--TheLaughingMan+Jun 13 2003, 10:56 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (TheLaughingMan @ Jun 13 2003, 10:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->what are the all the variables for ns?<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you mean the console commands, they're <a href='http://home.swbell.net/houston8/NS-impulselist.txt' target='_blank'>here</a>.
  • a_civiliana_civilian Likes seeing numbers Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12041Members, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead
    edited June 2003
    <!--QuoteBegin--TheLaughingMan+Jun 13 2003, 07:21 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (TheLaughingMan @ Jun 13 2003, 07:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Is there a way to make it so when i go lerk it automacally exec my lerk.cfg?<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->Not that I know of.

Also, <a href='http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=14095&st=60&#entry278804' target='_blank'>here</a> is a useful script.

<!--QuoteBegin--Tiax-+Jun 13 2003, 10:19 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Tiax- @ Jun 13 2003, 10:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->critical, that was just an example...though not a real one.  Im well aware that you really wouldnt' be able to make a script to fly you to a hive and kill it. 

While a script is just automating things you can already do, it can indeed be cheating and cheap.  You are tellign the computer to do things you lack the skill to do.  Ive not seen this as a huge problem in HL thank goodness.  Jedi Outcast was by far the worst script hacking ive seen.  People dont' even play the game, they just pusht he A button and let their scripts do the work.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Can you give us a <i>realistic</i> example of a script you would consider "cheating and cheap"? Aside from a pistol script, of course.
  • AgkelosAgkelos Join Date: 2003-02-07 Member: 13243Members
    Scripts are good. If you know how to use them.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Can you give us a realistic example of a script you would consider "cheating and cheap"? Aside from a pistol script, of course. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How about a crouching bunny hop script?
  • V_MANV_MAN V-MAN Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6217Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--cri.tical+Jun 14 2003, 02:55 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (cri.tical @ Jun 14 2003, 02:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin--Tiax-+Jun 13 2003, 10:19 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Tiax- @ Jun 13 2003, 10:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> critical, that was just an example...though not a real one.  Im well aware that you really wouldnt' be able to make a script to fly you to a hive and kill it. 

While a script is just automating things you can already do, it can indeed be cheating and cheap.  You are tellign the computer to do things you lack the skill to do.  Ive not seen this as a huge problem in HL thank goodness.  Jedi Outcast was by far the worst script hacking ive seen.  People dont' even play the game, they just pusht he A button and let their scripts do the work. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've never seen a script yet that should be considered cheating. Scripts are 100 % good, and you guys can't even come up with anything thats bad.

Sure, you can whine about a pistol script... they are somewhat lame.. but thats truely the only script I've ever felt like I got owned by. Any other time I got owned, I've always felt like it was the skill of the opponent or my own dumb mistakes. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Bunny hop script is lame, to even bunny hop requires skill and co-ordination. I know someone who has it bound to a button and now all he has to do is just press it repeatedly to zip round the map quietly. If that ain't lame I dunno what is.
    Let me rephrase that: Can you give us a realistic example of a script you would consider "cheating and cheap" that doesn't take advantage of game flaws?
    Okay critical, if scripts are 100% okay, are any CS players here who don't have a recoil script misguided nubs or honest players?

Scripts can be bad.

Some NS examples, perhaps? I saw a jump-crouch blinking script a while back, to take away any effort in blinking out of danger. There have been numerous leap scripts around too, both to use the leap exploit and things which just switch you back to bite after leaping a couple of times. There are scripts helping you exploit drawviewmodel too, and no doubt many others. Are they all fine and dandy, or dodgy as [censored]?
    <!--QuoteBegin--TheLaughingMan+Jun 13 2003, 06:21 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (TheLaughingMan @ Jun 13 2003, 06:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Is there a way to make it so when i go lerk it automacally exec my lerk.cfg? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    (sorry for the double post, but a thought just struck me)

I'm not 100% with what versatility there is with hotkeys (I never need them) but if there's a hotkey or an impulse for each evolution level, you could bind a key to both activate the evolution and exec your config at the same time.
  • Raw_EvilRaw_Evil Join Date: 2003-01-05 Member: 11903Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Maus+Jun 14 2003, 02:09 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Maus @ Jun 14 2003, 02:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I saw a jump-crouch blinking script a while back, to take away any effort in blinking out of danger. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Blink is supposed to be easy as s**t, but it wasn't implemented properly so it doesn't work very well... <b>I don't think that you're supposed to have to jump OR duck to get blink to work</b>. It isn't supposed to take effort.

Oh, yeah, and by the way, <b>how do you know he was using a script???</b>
    <!--QuoteBegin--Maus+Jun 14 2003, 12:09 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Maus @ Jun 14 2003, 12:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I saw a jump-crouch blinking script a while back, to take away any effort in blinking out of danger.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--QuoteBegin--Maus+Jun 14 2003, 12:09 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Maus @ Jun 14 2003, 12:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->There have been numerous leap scripts around too, [...] things which just switch you back to bite after leaping a couple of times.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->I definitely wouldn't consider those "cheating or cheap", considering that the actions they perform are very simple to begin with.

<!--QuoteBegin--Maus+Jun 14 2003, 12:09 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Maus @ Jun 14 2003, 12:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->There have been numerous leap scripts around too, both to use the leap exploit [...]<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->I don't know how to use the leap exploit, but from what I hear it is just an impulse command, which means you don't need a script to use it, you only need to bind it to a key.

<!--QuoteBegin--Maus+Jun 14 2003, 12:09 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Maus @ Jun 14 2003, 12:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->There are scripts helping you exploit drawviewmodel too,<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->r_drawviewmodel can be exploited perfectly easily without a script.
    Well, I'd go into more detail about how they work so you can more plainly see how dodgy they are, but I'd be pretty much telling everyone who reads this thread how to do them, so I'd rather not.
    <!--QuoteBegin--Maus+Jun 14 2003, 12:48 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Maus @ Jun 14 2003, 12:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Well, I'd go into more detail about how they work so you can more plainly see how dodgy they are, but I'd be pretty much telling everyone who reads this thread how to do them, so I'd rather not. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    BTW, we are talking NS. Don't try to pull CS stuff out of your ***, k. The NS stuff is nothing that a skilled player can't do legit...
  • TwexTwex Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4999Members
    How can any script be unfair? Everybody has access to them for free and can put them to use, by investing nothing but a little time.

Compare that with sportsgear which you have to buy for lots of money if you want to stay competitive.

Scripts are a lot like buying state-of-the-art running shoes, or an expensive tennis racket, or the latest set of golf clubs, except that they don't cost anything.

If I wanted to whine about an uneven playing field, I'd rather target FPS. Even without the NS bugs, high FPS give you definite advantages, but you'll have to buy your way to the top. I presume the anti-script people also want to lock FPS at 10? They certainly should do that, in order to stay consistent.
  • ZelZel Join Date: 2003-01-27 Member: 12861Members
    heres a script that i use for soemthing that i COULD NOT do otherwise

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->alias "+ubahUse" "fps_max 99.9;+use"
    alias "-ubahUse" "fps_max 40.0;-use"
    bind "e" "+ubahUse"<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

my fps ranges from 20 in battles to seventy when staring at the floor, and this disparity makes me notice lag and the game gets difficult and unplayable. if i cap the fps low, to 40, then the difference between that and the 20 in battle is really not bad, and my mind can ignore it, makign my game much more pleasurable and smooth, in my mind.

the downside is that i build slower than alien autobuild, so i have this nice button to use for building, when i can stare at the ground, and get a nice 70 to 80 fps.