A Room (double Res)

SnakeUbSnakeUb Join Date: 2003-07-02 Member: 17871Members, Constellation
edited September 2003 in Mapping Forum
<div class="IPBDescription">A room ive been working on</div> Ok this is a room ive been working on it has a docking platform outside the ship protected by a force field with a res node (spaceship refuling point) and a 2nd respoint inside this would be the duoble res in my map when i make the rest of it anyway heres some screens (btw i uped the brightness and gamma in photoeditor the screens came out dak cus i used env_gamma for clarity ingame)

Comments/contructive crit plz

Comments

• SnakeUbSnakeUb Join Date: 2003-07-02 Member: 17871Members, Constellation
  • NerdIIINerdIII Join Date: 2003-04-05 Member: 15230Members
    Do you mind resizing the images to 640x480?
    The pictures look ok. But I'm not a fan of these edgy forcefields. They look unrealistic. There is no place for machinery that generates them. Also add some things to the walls. What things? Don't know... you could try a pipe here and there, some electrical devices...
  • IndicaIndica Join Date: 2003-08-18 Member: 19927Members
    The second last pic. There is a multitude of ramps following each other that creates a very long passage. Try and break it up by adding a door at the nearest junction. Or even static doors in which one has not fully closed.
    <!--QuoteBegin--Indica+Sep 5 2003, 10:33 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Indica @ Sep 5 2003, 10:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> The second last pic. There is a multitude of ramps following each other that creates a very long passage. Try and break it up by adding a door at the nearest junction. Or even static doors in which one has not fully closed. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    that would be hard to do as the second ramp is in the big room its just the angle of the shot makes it seem like that
    <!--QuoteBegin--NerdIII+Sep 5 2003, 09:45 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (NerdIII @ Sep 5 2003, 09:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Do you mind resizing the images to 640x480?
    The pictures look ok. But I'm not a fan of these edgy forcefields. They look unrealistic. There is no place for machinery that generates them. Also add some things to the walls. What things? Don't know... you could try a pipe here and there, some electrical devices... <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    good idea although i dont want to push up my r_speeds any ideas that wont hurt em too much (its a big room so too much detail would push it over the guidelins limit
  • sk84zer0sk84zer0 Join Date: 2003-06-18 Member: 17478Members
    It looks cool but it would be extremely hard for the marines to secure. Unless they spent the res on a tf and a couple turrets at each node which i doubt they would.
  • MrMojoMrMojo Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9882Members, Constellation
    It looks like a really, really, open straight corridor which usualy means skulk death.
  • ParasiteParasite Join Date: 2002-04-13 Member: 431Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--snake_ub+Sep 5 2003, 03:47 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (snake_ub @ Sep 5 2003, 03:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> good idea although i dont want to push up my r_speeds any ideas that wont hurt em too much (its a big room so too much detail would push it over the guidelins limit <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No offense, but iirc, you said this is your first or secong map?
    Dont worry yourself about guidelines just yet. Theres loads to learn about basic mapping still, before even thinking about NS specifics.

Your obviously a fast learner taking a 900+ Wpoly hall and turning it into a 350 Wpoly hall.
    There is still a great deal more to learn about r_speed lowering tecniques, as well as more advanced architecture, texturing and lighting tecniques you'll want to learn. Then you will need to learn and understand entities and triggers, and how to manage them and so on. And thats not even dealing with NS entities...

Just enjoy the fun of learning for a while and dont burden yourself with the guidelines at this point. Any good mapper will tell ya thier first 20 maps were garbage. This is probably the best place to learn basic mapping, scince we have an extremely helpful and talented group of mappers to learn from. And, even though the "rules" say otherwise, its usually pretty safe to ask non-NS mapping questions here if you cant find the info your looking for. Some of these guys have even gone so far as to walk ppl through tutorials on IRC and ICQ.

If you wanna try to keep to the guidelines, I say go for it. Im not trying to discourage you. But, before you do, try making an NS map that <i>technically</i> works as an NS map for practice. Without worrying about the 80% of the guidelines that is mostly about style, atmosphere and gameflow. That in itself can be a challenge, the rest is more about finess and creativity, wich cant really take off untill you understand all the technical end of it.

BTW, sorry that turned into a lecture
  • BlackPantherBlackPanther Join Date: 2002-02-11 Member: 197Members
    It looks like you have an ambient lighting of green coming out of no where.
    That's bad.
    u mean in the 3rd pic yeh i duno where thats coming from i'm gona try and track the source down