Trying To Run Ns 2.01 Dedicated Without Steam

ProfessorProfessor Join Date: 2003-04-18 Member: 15632Members
<div class="IPBDescription">The non-evil way...</div> I just got a server, and I want to run NS 2.01 WITHOUT Steam until Steam NS is offically support by both the NS team and Valve. However, now that I have my server setup, with 2.01 and the latest verion of HLDS, I cannot connect to it from my client HL 1.1.1.0 because I recieve the error "Reason: LAN servers are restricted to local clients (class c)." I assume its because the latest HL server version is crap and only allows Steam connections. So I was wondering, WHAT version of HLDS (and where I can get it) will work with pre-Steam clients (like most still seem to be).

*Note - My server IS NOT setup to be a lan server AT ALL. So that is not the problem.

Comments

• DepotDepot The ModFather Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7956Members
    HLServer4110 (an oldie but goodie) available from <a href='http://www.bygames.com/downloads.jsp' target='_blank'>Blueyonder.</a>
  • ProfessorProfessor Join Date: 2003-04-18 Member: 15632Members
    Thanks, but I have decided to embrace the lag and use steam for now. I hope 2.1 gets released soon and fixes all the steam created issues within NS.
  • GoPeDeRiCkGoPeDeRiCk Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14742Members
    nooo don't go the evil path

ur server will end up empty as a steam server, people are to lazy/uneducated to set up and ns client with steam. and the ones that did where forced to cuz there fav ns server when the evil way.