Generate On Collision Particles Vanish

ShadowicsShadowics Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7652Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Problem with Generating PS on Collision</div> I was experimenting with generating particle systems on collision, when I found that any particle generated by a particle system that was generated on collision seemed to vanish after approximately 6 seconds. However, if that particle was supposed to generate another particle system on collision, that system would be generated roughly where and when the invisible particle would have collided. So the question is then, why are those particle becoming invisible?

Comments

• brute_forcebrute_force Join Date: 2003-10-04 Member: 21433Members, Constellation
    Because Generate on collision requres the Collide flag, which makes the particle disappear as soon as it touches something.
  • prsearleprsearle Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2365Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-ShdwStal+Feb 19 2004, 07:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (ShdwStal @ Feb 19 2004, 07:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Because Generate on collision requres the Collide flag, which makes the particle disappear as soon as it touches something. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    He's talking about the particle becoming invisible before it collides, though.

Shadowics: Does the second particle system have it's fade out flag checked?
  • ShadowicsShadowics Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7652Members
    For my test map, all of the particle systems had the same (graphical) settings:

pSize: 8.0
    pLifetime: -1
    pScale: 1.0
    pMaxAlpha: 1.0
    spawnFlags: 256 (collide only)

All of the 'second generation' particles appear normally for about 6 seconds then suddenly vanish completely, no fading at all.