Maxplayers Problems...

TechedRonanTechedRonan Join Date: 2003-12-09 Member: 24168Members
Having problem with setting maxplayers, do even the config file work??
its kinda impossible to have a server with 36 slots when my connection sucks.
How you change Maxplayers?

Comments

• FlowFlow Join Date: 2003-11-15 Member: 22906Members
    you can run your server with less players with typing
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
    +maxplayers xx
    <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    to your Run-Command
  • Rotten_FleshRotten_Flesh Join Date: 2002-11-18 Member: 9203Members
    HL cant handle 36 players. Max is 32. (well there is a way, but its makes things really unstable)
  • voogruvoogru Naturally Modified (ex. NS programmer) Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1827Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-Rotten Flesh+Mar 1 2004, 06:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Rotten Flesh @ Mar 1 2004, 06:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> (well there is a way, but its makes things really unstable) <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Tell me.
  • VadakillVadakill The Almighty BSO Join Date: 2002-04-02 Member: 373Members, NS1 Playtester
    Yeah, I'd like to know too.
  • Rotten_FleshRotten_Flesh Join Date: 2002-11-18 Member: 9203Members
    I heard a few months ago about something in the hl source that valve put. It sort of forces max players up, but its very unstable.
  • TechedRonanTechedRonan Join Date: 2003-12-09 Member: 24168Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Flow+Mar 1 2004, 04:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Flow @ Mar 1 2004, 04:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> you can run your server with less players with typing
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
    +maxplayers xx
    to your Run-Command <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Eh, where i enter that thing? Im kinda new to hosting NS and HL Mods.
    Using steam to...
  • sawcesawce Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10787Members
    If you're hosting a listenserver (meaning you open up NS from steam, and go to "Create Server"), then you can change maxplayers from the "Game" tab in the window that pops up before you host the game. There is a field for maxplayers, though this field was not present in earlier versions of NS 3.0 beta. If this field is not present, then you need to update your game.

If you're hosting a dedicated server, meaning you run the server from a command line, then you simply add "+maxplayers X" in the command line parameters.

Example:

If this is your command line to start the game:

hlds.exe -game nsp +map ns_eclipse

To set the maxplayers to 14, you would do this:

hlds.exe -game nsp +map ns_eclipse +maxplayers 14
  • PalinPalin Join Date: 2003-03-24 Member: 14848Members
    Also you can look in your mapcycle.txt file. It lists minplayers and maxplayers on a per map basis. Even if you specify a different setting for starting your server the values specified in the mapcycle will override your setting after the first map. That's where I'd look for part of your problems. You can remove minplayers and maxplayers on a permap basis by simply deleting all that information (other than the actual map that is).
  • sawcesawce Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10787Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-AoF.Palin+Mar 2 2004, 03:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (AoF.Palin @ Mar 2 2004, 03:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Also you can look in your mapcycle.txt file. It lists minplayers and maxplayers on a per map basis. Even if you specify a different setting for starting your server the values specified in the mapcycle will override your setting after the first map. That's where I'd look for part of your problems. You can remove minplayers and maxplayers on a permap basis by simply deleting all that information (other than the actual map that is). <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The minplayer/maxplayer setting in the mapcycle file does not change the value of the maximum number of players allowed to be connected at a time. Rather, it checks the number of players currently connected when the map is about to change with the specified min/maxplayer in the mapcycle file. If the current number is within the specified settings, then the map will be used, other wise the game will skip over that map, and look for a more suitable map to change to.

From the top of the default mapcycle file:

// Old default instructions:
    //
    // Instructions for using mapcycle.txt
    <b>// No, you can't change maxplayers on the server, but you can skip maps that don't fit the current # of players</b>
    // If no suitable match is found anywhere in your mapcycle file, then the server just moves to the next map in the file anyway.
    // Minplayers or maxplayers set to 0 mean don't restrict based on that parameter.  You don't have to include minplayers or maxplayers if you
    //  are not making a restriction.  They default to 0 if missing.
    // You can list a file twice in the rotation now
    // You can issue a command ( rather than setting key value pairs ) at the server console by bracketing it with a blank
    //  key value: e.g., \mycommand\\
    // minplayers and maxplayers are special tokens and are parsed and removed before the commands are executed
    // Commands are executed just after the changelevel command occurs.
    // Be sure to remove conflicting settings from any server.cfg or listenserver.cfg files you use since those values will stomp
    //  on the ones you set here
    // The double quotes are necessary
    // BTW, the old format will still work
    //
    // NS instructions:
    //
    // Other notes:
    // - Combat and NS maps are mixed to both types for variety. 
    // - Use minplayers of 0 for popular combat maps, so an empty server is ready for small numbers of players to join.
    // - Reduced maxplayers on bast and hera for CPU reasons
    //
  • PalinPalin Join Date: 2003-03-24 Member: 14848Members
    hmm.... i could've SWORN that my server changes its maxplayer variable from map to map... maybe its just some other mod that one of the other admins put on without telling me about.
  • smokingwreckagesmokingwreckage Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13364Members
    listenserver.cfg or server.cfg might be changing the numbers too. I think those names are correct.
  • FlowFlow Join Date: 2003-11-15 Member: 22906Members
    in the mapcycle.txt there are some maxplayer's definitions behind the specified map, delete the maxplayers and try again