Getting Valve.wad Out Of Steam

taledentaleden Join Date: 2003-04-06 Member: 15252Members, Constellation
Okay, I've just gotten back into mapping, and am trying to reconfigure my setup for use under Steam (which I hate with a passion, and am dismayed that NS3 requires it, but c'est la vie). So far, I've been unable to get valve.wad out of the steam cache (using gcfscrape); the first time I opened up the half-life.gcf, I was able to extract all of the .wad files except valve.wad - gcfscrape reported that it was only able to write 19mb out of 30-some mb.

So, I tried starting a real HL game (instead of just training course), thinking maybe that would prompt steam to cache the rest of valve.wad - when I tried gcfscrape again, it got 22mb, but still not the whole thing. I hopped on a few NS servers, and managed to get up to 24mb.

At this point, it feels to me like the only way to get a full copy of valve.wad out of steam is to load up enough maps so that every texture in the wad is required and fetched.. maybe I'm misinterpreting the behavior, but that's all I can come up with.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there some way to get steam to fetch the full wad so I can extract it? Or can someone just send me the full thing, so I can plug it into Hammer and get back to mapping?

Comments

• prsearleprsearle Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2365Members, Constellation
    You've basically got five options:<ul><li>Load every map so the whole file gets downloaded... a pain, but you could automate it.</li><li>Download the full SDK (~100Mb), which includes all the WADs, models and a few maps.</li><li>Hope someone mails it to you - it's about 25Mb zipped.</li><li>Reinstall from your original CD and copy the file across, then remove the WON installation.</li><li>Download the dedicated server, which (I believe) includes all the files unpacked. It's 400Mb, though.</li></ul>
  • taledentaleden Join Date: 2003-04-06 Member: 15252Members, Constellation
    I'm glad Valve is going to so much trouble to make mapping easy on us.. after all, it's their mod community that's made the game such a success.

Oh, and I love Steam. Just love it.

</sarcasm>

Given the options, I guess I'll go look for the SDK.. thanks.