Suspect: Greater Hitbox Lag Theory.

2»

Comments

• PheusPheus Join Date: 2003-01-30 Member: 12924Members
    the higher your ping the less reliable registering of hits u get. If i play overseas 300 ping, then about 30% of my shots hit, interstate (100 ping) about 75%, and local (30 ping) about 95%
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Yeah, but I can play with sub-30 ping on a really close server and use a shotgun, and I will STILL get the "shots spark off the skulk".
    By the way, I as a skulk got shot in the face 2 days ago, I could SEE the shots hit me, so, why didn't I get hit?
  • ZERGZERG Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13132Members, Constellation
    Yeah, I've seen the bug myself as a skulk. I leaped this guy and I actually saw the sparks. I leaped right into him and he gave me 2 shotgun blasts to the face and no damage at all. All I saw were sparks shooting off of me.
  • DantemssDantemss Join Date: 2003-12-13 Member: 24305Members
    edited April 2004
    <!--QuoteBegin-Sarisel+Apr 2 2004, 06:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Sarisel @ Apr 2 2004, 06:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> That doesn't explain the radical changes between 2.0 and 3.0 in terms of hitbox lag and difficulty in scoring hits. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    -Shotguns are now used more than ever?
    -New hitboxes code?
    -Skulks are faster? (maybe, I think it was removed)
    -Celerity gives you a greater bonus in speed? (maybe)
    -Servers & clients have more latency on Steam?
    -STEAM bugs? (Nah, that video was made on WON)
    -Steam netcode changes? (Probably)
  • SariselSarisel .::&#39; ( O ) &#39;;:-. .-.:;&#39; ( O ) &#39;::. Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18557Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-Dantemss+Apr 3 2004, 11:32 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Dantemss @ Apr 3 2004, 11:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Sarisel+Apr 2 2004, 06:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Sarisel @ Apr 2 2004, 06:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> That doesn't explain the radical changes between 2.0 and 3.0 in terms of hitbox lag and difficulty in scoring hits. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    -Shotguns are now used more than ever?
    -New hitboxes code?
    -Skulks are faster? (maybe, I think it was removed)
    -Celerity gives you a greater bonus in speed? (maybe)
    -Servers & clients have more latency on Steam?
    -STEAM bugs? (Nah, that video was made on WON)
    -Steam netcode changes? (Probably) <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    -Nope, were used in 2.0 just as much.
    -Doesn't have anything to do with the problem for the people that can aim.
    -Nothing to do with it, same as above.
    -This suplements the problem, but doesn't explain the huge difference. Before you would shoot at the player and hit it, now even shots that are 3 feet behind register while those that are on the player do not.
    -Not really.
    -Nope, as you said.
    -Steam denies ever having made such changes.

However, the hitbox lag occurs in all HL mods - particularly those in which players move faster than, say, soldiers in DoD. S&I has the lag, RC has the lag to mention two. I've never seen this before switching over to Steam, so I assume that something was done either to the way the client operates or the servers operate.
  • LichoLicho Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3858Members, NS1 Playtester
    There was done test with NS 3.0 on WON i think "sparks" issues will be completely same there.. Steam really does nothing, it's just fancy UI and different way of authorization, nothing dramatic happend to game code..
  • CalldownCalldown Join Date: 2003-02-12 Member: 13478Members, Constellation
    Are you sure the server code didn't change? Simply because mods from WON will run on the Steam servers is no reason to be sure.

-calldown
  • LichoLicho Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3858Members, NS1 Playtester
    Steam players could connect to old won servers during steam beta without problems, console mode servers is virtually the same one as old won. Most changes are done in clients.. I never heard about changes in prediction code or networking code as a whole associated with steam. There are no reports of emerging "steam-hitbox" problems in other slower mods like CS.
  • Scottimus_PrimeScottimus_Prime Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15519Members
    Not meaning to be so off topic here but since 1.3 or whatever (possibly before) CS has been made almost COMPLETLY server-side. Which is why so many people complain and hate CS (i.e. me), and you get people like OMG I SHOT U IN TEH FACE! H4X! When in reality on your client you were shooting him, but the server saw him shooting your face first, so you die. Quake 3 is even worse about it though *shudders thinking about Q3 netcode*
  • AtlanAtlan Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20673Members
    making CS and most of the hl mods more server side had to be done due to the increasing amount of cheaters...everything that is moved from the client to the server makes cheating harder though its really easy with the HL engine :/.