R_speeds

kalikkakalikka Join Date: 2003-04-23 Member: 15767Members
<div class="IPBDescription">w- and epolys</div> The drawspeed limit is 700 wpolies for official maps but epolies get to like 10 000+ in marine base. Only skulk teeth (those you see when you are skulk) add 954 epoly and when you are marine, your lmg adds 1680!

Are epolies somehow faster to draw than wpolies or is there some other reason why wpoly limit is so damn low? And if they are faster to draw is there a way to turn everything in my map to models which only add epoly?

Comments

• MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Models can have more polies without hurting too much to the performance, but since the way HL has to light models is quite bad, turning everything into a model would look horrible.
  • kalikkakalikka Join Date: 2003-04-23 Member: 15767Members
    edited April 2004
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Models can have more polies without hurting too much to the performance, but since the way HL has to light models is quite bad, turning everything into a model would look horrible. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

thanks... Still I'm curious why dont models hurt performance so much. Are models more client side than wpolies or what? And why didnt valve make all polies use that less performance harming way?

EDIT
    And yes I know Im asking stupid questions.
  • GaidinTSGaidinTS Join Date: 2003-08-10 Member: 19319Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think it has to do with the fact that the engine doesn't have to calculate collision hulls or lightmaps for model pollies.
  • CageyCagey Ex-Unknown Worlds Programmer Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8829Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-GaidinTS+Apr 10 2004, 06:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (GaidinTS @ Apr 10 2004, 06:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I think it has to do with the fact that the engine doesn't have to calculate collision hulls or lightmaps for model pollies. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No lightmaps and a simpler texture mapping system that doesn't require scaling and rotating the texture coordinates for every face (the skin image is already warped to fit the model's skin coordinates, so you don't need to do image transforms at runtime).

The engine also renders models as triangle strips since the textures are usually continuous across at least some of the faces -- that's much faster than having to start over for every triangle.

Models using the new transparent model code will have more of an impact per epoly.