Fast Building Selection

UKchaosUKchaos Join Date: 2002-08-10 Member: 1132Members
edited June 2004 in Frontiersmen Strategy
<div class="IPBDescription">hotkey commands dont work</div> Ok, I want to be able to select a building at the press of a key instead of navigating the comm interface. Ive witnessed comms dropping an ip and armoury extremely fast at the start. I want to know how its done.

I searched around and found this list: <a href='http://www.ns-central.co.uk/impulselist.txt' target='_blank'>http://www.ns-central.co.uk/impulselist.txt</a>, but i cant get the hotkey commands to work at all. I was testing with sv_cheats 1, should that effect it?

I find the qwer asdf zxcv system quite cumbersome and i would much prefer a one- touch system for selecting the important structures. Can you help me out?

Comments

• RushakraRushakra Join Date: 2004-03-25 Member: 27523Members
    I suppose that if you don't like the four key method you could conceivably create a script with a bunch of keys bound for the various impulses to select each structure.

What that'd do is, say, you type

<!--c1--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>CODE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='CODE'><!--ec1-->bind F6 "exec <nameofyourscriptfilehere>"<!--c2--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--ec2-->

and when you press F6 that runs your script and loads all of the aliases and bindkeys for the Impulses that tell the game you've selected, say, an Armory, and wish to drop it.

I have no idea what you'd write in the script file or what each impulse is. :/ There's a topic around here somewhere that has them all..
  • romanoromano Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4296Members
    The hotkeyXX keys were removed in 2.0 and no longer work. The only thing you can change is cl_cmhotkeys, which defaults to "qwerasdfzxcv".
  • ApolloGXApolloGX Join Date: 2003-09-13 Member: 20817Members
    you can hit 2 keys just a fraction of a second slower than one key

get used to hitting es for meds and then you can always hold down s once in the support menu

just memorize the key combos, thats how the comms you see get so fast
  • UKchaosUKchaos Join Date: 2002-08-10 Member: 1132Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> The hotkeyXX keys were removed in 2.0 and no longer work<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Shame, i would of found them useful :/

I've found the 'qwer/asdf/zxcv' key config to be straight forward enough to begin with. However i dont like how your forced to cancel the currently selected item in order to change the menu catagory.
  • RushakraRushakra Join Date: 2004-03-25 Member: 27523Members
    If you don't like hitting the Cancel key to get out of a selection, you can right-click on the playfield. This has the unfortunate side effect of giving any selecting Marines a waypoint to that location, however. If you don't have anyone selected though, it doesn't matter.
  • UKchaosUKchaos Join Date: 2002-08-10 Member: 1132Members
    edited June 2004
    Whats the best way to deselect all marines? Do you just left-click on an empty patch of ground?
  • aonomusaonomus Dedicated NS Mastermind (no need for school) Join Date: 2003-11-26 Member: 23605Members, Constellation
    Probably select a structure or something.

I find it best just to stick with the preset hotkeys for the commchair, because the wasd is in the same spot, so in case I need to hop out, I have full control instantly, without having to move my left hand across the keyboard.

There usually aren't enough free keys to bind, its a pain to bind new keys.
  • MintmanMintman Join Date: 2003-05-30 Member: 16866Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-UKchaos+Jun 11 2004, 11:18 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (UKchaos @ Jun 11 2004, 11:18 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Whats the best way to deselect all marines? Do you just left-click on an empty patch of ground? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Putting an IP on a hotgroup. Any other structure and you might accidentally spend res.

Least that's how I used to do it.