True Or False?

2»

Comments

• NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    The marines would win then, because of alien slow resource gain, and because they had a perfect strategy which would always win (it has no flaws...nothing can go wrong...EVER). Nothing beats perfection. Anyone who can give an example of something beating perfection, has a counter-example. For example, if not a bullet was waisted, ever, then marines could easily take down aliens. Extremely fast(you can take down 4 skulks with a clip. You take down all of the skulks and attack the hive. The commander is constantly dropping meds, at the perfect moments. The marines cant die, ever. One marine kills the respawning skulks, with help from meds from the commander.)
  • Kevlar_GorillaKevlar_Gorilla Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28048Members, Constellation
    Uff...

The question is not about "perfection"... it's about accepting defeat.

If two really good teams play against each other, one will lose. If they play again, either team could win. The difference is wiether or not the players will enjoy themselves.

Of course the answer is True. Defeat is a part of life and an even bigger part of video games.

In life, if there is a war, both sides are expected to take casualities (that is, unrecoverable resources that may or may not be worth the ultimate goal). In a video game, one team will win, one team will lose, and the only thing net lost is time when the game is over. In a sense, video games are much more black and white about victory and defeat than life; this should be a given.

Re-read the question. I never claimed perfection.
  • ekentekent Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7801Members
    edited July 2004
    Perfection is the absence of error. If you shot perfectly at the perfect time, reloaded at the perfect time, had a perfect comm with perfectly timed ammo drops, capped every res perfectly, perfectly covered each other when any fades attacked, and dodged any gas perfectly, <b>how would you lose?</b>

Got an advanced arms lab at the perfect time. Anticipated any counter attacks perfectly. <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Dropped the perfect amount of shotguns at the perfect time. Killed the perfect amount of gorges.</span> <span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%'>Dodged perfectly... Ducked and glided perfectly...</span><span style='font-size:6pt;line-height:100%'> Dropped perfect jetpacks and used the perfect amount of energy...</span> <span style='font-size:5pt;line-height:100%'>it's a silly question to be honest.</span>
  • Swift_IdiotSwift_Idiot Join Date: 2003-01-05 Member: 11883Members
    I like your tiny text kent. I didn't know those tags worked on the board. :D

I hate these questions.

Let's do a different one.

Q: I'm pretty sure once you get hand grenades in classic mode, every single marine who spawns from that point has one, no matter what the circumstances. Unlike heavys and jetpacks or heavy weapons, which you can only drop if you have a protolab or adv. armory, I think you get hand grenades even if your only structure is an IP. In otherwords, unlike weapon and armor upgrades, heavy weapons, HA and JPs, you don't need the armory once you have hand grenades to keep spawning with them. You buy it once and your marines get them for the rest of the game, as long as they have a place to respawn.

Is this true? I could swear it is, but maybe I woke up crazy today.
  • Kevlar_GorillaKevlar_Gorilla Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28048Members, Constellation
    edited July 2004
    Yes, that is true.

Man, don't you hate it when people don't read things correctly?

I never used the word 'perfect'.
  • Asal_The_UnforgivingAsal_The_Unforgiving Join Date: 2003-03-26 Member: 14903Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Kevlar Gorilla+Jul 14 2004, 10:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Kevlar Gorilla @ Jul 14 2004, 10:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Man, don't you hate it when people don't read things correctly?

I never used the word 'perfect'. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Then elaborate. Without errors or mistakes is, in my opinion, perfect. Others seem to agree as well. The situation needs to be more specific, perhaps?
    I'm a geek, I admit.

I got this idea for a thread after an episode of Star Trek: The next generation. In the episode where Data plays a strategy game against an alien embassidor (who has a really absolutist cocky attitude to boot). The first game, Data gets stomped, and has trouble accepting the defeat. To console the android, Troy said "Even if you make no tactical mistakes or errors, you can still be defeated."

In the second game, he changed his perameters to always aim for a draw and, in a sense, won, after the other guy gave up.

My goal is to see how normal players can accept defeat when it's given to them without anyone to blame, including themselves.

That is all. Enjoy.
  • Swift_IdiotSwift_Idiot Join Date: 2003-01-05 Member: 11883Members
    LOL. You<i> ARE </i>a geek, and I'm right there in the same boat with you because I remember that episode photographically.