Pro-f4

124»

Comments

• relsanrelsan Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3720Members, Constellation
    On the subject of leaving the server entirely rather than using F4 - first of all I don't think that someone that is considering F4 should be concerned with what other people will think, at least not on a pub. I'm not worried about people knowing me as a person that F4s when the situation is ridiculously one sided.

The only thing I'm concerned with is having fun. And sometimes I feel that the next game might be better and I don't want to leave the server. For instance, just because the marines spawn camped the first game, doesn't mean they'll do it again the next game. Maybe next game the aliens will be smarter with their resources. I'm willing to believe that everyone is capable of learning from their mistakes. But of course, if it kept happening again and again then yeah I wouldn't bother with F4, I would just leave.
  • relsanrelsan Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3720Members, Constellation
    edited August 2004
    Also I think reddots brings up a good point about the difference between RTS and FPS. Case in point, if you are in the Stone Age and your oppenent is in the Imperial Age, its time to pack it in. While NS is no doubt an FPS it also has RTS elements.

The obvious correlation is evolution vs. technology. If the aliens have higher lifeforms and your team has no upgrades, it might be time to pack it in. Why recycle all your resources, spawn a million comm chairs, and play hide and go seek for 15 minutes?

It's stupid but my team will actually build all the comm chairs for the commander and then sit through it watching intently as onos slowly eat it all. When the game was played terribly from the start and there never really was a challenge, what benefit is there to victory formalities? It wasn't even that much of a game. I don't think we'd be robbing the enemy team of much by F4ing at that point.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    edited August 2004
    This had the potential to be one big flame but fortunately it hasn't.

I rarely F4, and I used to get mad when other people did. I don't find spawn camping as irritating as most people do, so I rarely F4 because of that. Generally the game will be over shortly if they're spawn camping and I can wait those 30sec to two mins extra. If it takes any longer I'll leave though.

The games I've most commonly f4ed(usually just quit and move to a new server) are the res starved games. I don't mind it as Marines (unless I'm commanding) but with aliens being res starved is pure pain. It literally stops being fun and I get sick of throwing myself against a brick wall of marines without hope of teching up or getting the next hive.

Simply, I try to be considerate of the other players, but sometimes I just have to move on to a new server or stop playing for a little while. I don't see f4ing as dishonorable because it usually happens only when the game is over, and I'd rather start a new match anyway. There are times when it could be dishonorable, but it's not as common and regardless it's just a game anyway.
  • NadagastNadagast Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6884Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Hobojoe+Aug 15 2004, 09:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Hobojoe @ Aug 15 2004, 09:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> f4ing happens because of those fun freaking turrent a hive or two for 25 minutes then ha seige the last hive pub strats <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    most exciting and super cool strat ever dood! the sad thing is like 80% of marine pub wins I see are done this way because it's so easy and turrets are so overpowered defensively with a PG supporting them vs 1 hive aliens. It's just plain BROKEN.
  • hawthornehawthorne Join Date: 2003-10-05 Member: 21460Members
    if everyone f4'd, how would heroes be made
  • titaniumtitanium Join Date: 2003-10-31 Member: 22166Members
    i don't understand how this thread is still going and has people writing essays about it because it's really quite simple

natural selection's critical flaw is that since it is a combination of fps and rts, it takes some of the advantages and disadvantages from each, and one of the disadvantages of rts games is that there is a point of no return where you cannot win, but the game will not be over for quite some time

fps players are not used to this point of no return and those who are do not feel like waiting it out in an fps game

that is really all that needs to be said
  • NadagastNadagast Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6884Members
    edited August 2004
    well there is a point where you cannot win in FPS games too titanium, but in other games, say if you're playing 1v1 Q3 and you're down 20 to 1 or something, or if you're playing TFC and you're down 20 caps to 1 (whatever). At that point in those games the game is still interesting and fun. In NS, HA vs skulks (or HMGs and JPs vs skulks) combined with the spawn queue makes the game so pointlessly boring

This is mostly a problem in pubs where the marine team is too inept to finish you before they get overwhelming odds...

edit: apparantly t i t is a bad word..?
  • ForlornForlorn Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2634Banned
    <!--QuoteBegin-Hobojoe+Aug 16 2004, 08:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Hobojoe @ Aug 16 2004, 08:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> hmm do rts players really stay around and wait for the inevitable or do they forfit? i only played UMS starcraft <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They quit almost immediately, just like in chess, checkers, etc. etc..... once the point of no return shows up most people just quit. It's called conceeding, and has been around since the conception of warfare.