Gun Violence

intensityrisingintensityrising Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23148Members
I just finished watching a documentary called <b>Bowling For Columbine</b>. It talks about gun violence in america. How do you feel about gun violence?

Comments

• TestamentTestament Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4037Members
    I feel that there's not enough of it.
  • RatonetwothreetwooneRatonetwothreetwoone Join Date: 2004-03-23 Member: 27504Members
    i feel michael moore is an idiot.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Join Date: 2003-02-24 Member: 13942Members
    Great movie, I think, but if they weren't using guns, they'd be using harpoons or golf clubs. The point is, there's no such thing as gun violence, it's just violence, the gun is just a weapon of choice.

No guns = knives = killings.
    No knives = bats or other weapons.
  • UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko hates endnotes Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16320Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Ambassador+Jan 16 2005, 06:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Ambassador @ Jan 16 2005, 06:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Great movie, I think, but if they weren't using guns, they'd be using harpoons or golf clubs. The point is, there's no such thing as gun violence, it's just violence, the gun is just a weapon of choice.

No knives = bats or other weapons. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No knives = how will I cut my cake (...or caek for the crazy people among us)?
  • DrSuredeathDrSuredeath Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8217Members
    edited January 2005
    I think that you totally miss the point of Michael Moore.

(Yes, he's a slob sob who heavily edit his source for the film, but there IS a point in his movie)

It's the "culture of fear" that's the main point of his movie. Politician and media are scaring the public and it's hurting the society.

I also recommend Deborah Tannon's book "Argument Culture" after you finish watching Lying... ahem Bowling for Columbine. Both will give you a pretty good idea of how the public is being manipulated.
  • UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko hates endnotes Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16320Members
    Really? The point I got out of his movies was "I want to get money by focusing on guns and picking on department store employees and senile old men"...but maybe that's just me.

Grab your pitchfork - death to the K-mart employees!

Quick, I know the chemical formula for gunpowder and I have the minor metallurgical skills to form a lead bullet, along with the equipment to groove a riflebarrel - smite me! Just imagine, I've never killed anyone with my wealth of knowledge. If we're using indirect blame: Guns don't kill people; parents who don't teach their kids kill people.

I concur with Rat12321.
  • PulsePulse To create, to create and escape. Join Date: 2002-08-29 Member: 1248Members, Constellation
    edited January 2005
    <!--QuoteBegin-UltimaGecko+Jan 16 2005, 05:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (UltimaGecko @ Jan 16 2005, 05:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Ambassador+Jan 16 2005, 06:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Ambassador @ Jan 16 2005, 06:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Great movie, I think, but if they weren't using guns, they'd be using harpoons or golf clubs. The point is, there's no such thing as gun violence, it's just violence, the gun is just a weapon of choice.

No knives = bats or other weapons. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No knives = how will I cut my cake (...or caek for the crazy people among us)? <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    With guns, of course.

<!--QuoteBegin-Homer Simpson+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Homer Simpson)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Mmmmmmmm...  Pistol whip...<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • N1RampageN1Rampage Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24420Members
    <a href='http://www.assaultweaponwatch.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.assaultweaponwatch.com/</a>

Good stuff... lol...
  • MulletMullet Join Date: 2003-04-28 Member: 15910Members, Constellation
    I feel Michael Moore is a fat lying bastard
  • TequilaTequila Join Date: 2003-08-13 Member: 19660Members
    I think there's a direct correlation between the moniker of the thread's poster and the current outcome.
  • CplDavisCplDavis I hunt the arctic Snonos Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12097Members
    Violent crime is actually down in the US. Juvinile violent crime is also down. This includes school violence of all types. Contrary to public beliefs. No Thanks to the media which often blows many problems related to crime and law enforcment into something that they are not.

Also the most common type of weapon used in juvinile homicides and assaults in schools are knives and blunt objects.
  • ZigZig ...I am Captain Planet&#33; Join Date: 2002-10-23 Member: 1576Members
    i feel that i hate anti-gun lobbyists who don't know what the **** they're lobbying for.
  • esunaesuna Rock Bottom Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15175Members, Constellation
    Bowling For Columbine is just entertainment, i see it as nothing more than political satire, mainly because i feel it's hard to take anything he says seriously. Kinda like a fat, less-educated and less funny Mark Thomas.

But on the other hand, i do agree to a number of things he raises in the movie, but then again, they're just common sense.
  • RellixRellix Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13572Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--QuoteBegin-Ambassador+Jan 16 2005, 11:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Ambassador @ Jan 16 2005, 11:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Great movie, I think, but if they weren't using guns, they'd be using harpoons or golf clubs. The point is, there's no such thing as gun violence, it's just violence, the gun is just a weapon of choice.

No knives = bats or other weapons. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actualy if you compair deaths caused by violence of the US to that of the UK, youl find it significantly higher as a percentage.
  • MantridMantrid Lockpick Join Date: 2003-12-07 Member: 24109Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-intensityrising+Jan 16 2005, 03:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (intensityrising @ Jan 16 2005, 03:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I just finished watching a documentary called <b>Bowling For Columbine</b>. It talks about gun violence in america. How do you feel about gun violence? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You do know that thats propaganda, right? Take everything Micheal Moore says with a grain of salt.

I'm a liberal. A pretty liberal liberal. And even I know that quite a bit of what Moore says isn't true.
  • funbagsfunbags Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17099Members
    I have 12 firearms, even those scary, baby killing, cop slaying assault rifles that will someday cause society to crumble in a wave of mass crime.

I'm not a violent person. I think..
  • BadKarmaBadKarma The Advanced Literature monsters burned my house and gave me a 7 Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8260Members
    It was really killing me when he was getting all buddy buddy with Canada. Makes us look like Fat Boy-cooperating, gun hating, crimeless, sterotypical Canucks.
  • ShloomShloom Join Date: 2002-07-25 Member: 997Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-BadKarma+Jan 17 2005, 11:50 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (BadKarma @ Jan 17 2005, 11:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> It was really killing me when he was getting all buddy buddy with Canada. Makes us look like Fat Boy-cooperating, gun hating, crimeless, sterotypical Canucks. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    it didn't make us look like we hate guns, it made us look like we point them at each other a little less.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    You all know that this is trolling, don't you?
  • jumpingjodajumpingjoda Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24367Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--QuoteBegin-N1Rampage+Jan 17 2005, 01:40 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (N1Rampage @ Jan 17 2005, 01:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <a href='http://www.assaultweaponwatch.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.assaultweaponwatch.com/</a>

Good stuff... lol... <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Wow, this is the most stupidest thing i ever saw...
    "LOOK AT US WE BOUGHT A GUN AND IT'S GONE FROM THE STREETS SO IT CAN'T CAUSE HARM, PLEASE DONATE SOME $$$ TO BUY AMMO SO IT CAN'T FALL INTO CHILDRENS HANDS AND PROBABLY HEADS, WE ARE SO STUPID TO NOT KNOW ABOUT THE SUPPLY AND DEMAND AND SO WE THINK THAT THEY WON'T BE PRODUCED ANYMORE AFTER WE BUY MASSES OF IT"
    Yeah, that's it.
  • NumbersNotFoundNumbersNotFound Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7556Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-jumpingjoda+Jan 17 2005, 10:59 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (jumpingjoda @ Jan 17 2005, 10:59 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-N1Rampage+Jan 17 2005, 01:40 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (N1Rampage @ Jan 17 2005, 01:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <a href='http://www.assaultweaponwatch.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.assaultweaponwatch.com/</a>

Good stuff... lol... <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Wow, this is the most stupidest thing i ever saw...
    "LOOK AT US WE BOUGHT A GUN AND IT'S GONE FROM THE STREETS SO IT CAN'T CAUSE HARM, PLEASE DONATE SOME $$$ TO BUY AMMO SO IT CAN'T FALL INTO CHILDRENS HANDS AND PROBABLY HEADS, WE ARE SO STUPID TO NOT KNOW ABOUT THE SUPPLY AND DEMAND AND SO WE THINK THAT THEY WON'T BE PRODUCED ANYMORE AFTER WE BUY MASSES OF IT"
    Yeah, that's it. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's not really the point... The point is that so much focus goes into legislation of the gun itself that nobody ever thinks that people are just violent in themselves. Thus, this site bought one of the nastier guns they could find and are "watching" it to make sure they aren't turned into violent people and/or use the gun violently.
  • pardzhpardzh Join Date: 2002-10-25 Member: 1601Members
    I guess the poster didn't know we have lots of gun fans here at the NS Forums.