I Upgraded My Pc

R_A_CR_A_C Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16273Members
edited March 2005 in Tech Support
<div class="IPBDescription">fps problems</div> I know it's not a big issue, but I'm still wondering about it. I used to get a max of 75 fps because that's my monitor's max, of course dropping into the 30-40's in intense battle. Now with my new pc, i get a max of 60.
old specs:
AMD athlon (not sure model #) @1300Mhz
256 MB ram
geforce 3 ti200 128MB

new:
AMD athlon xp 2900+ @2.08
ULTRA 512 MB pc3200 DDR 400Mhz
Geforce 6600 256MB/256bit 8xagp
Abit kv7 mobo

I'm not sure what other specs you may want to know, and yea, it's not that big of an issue, but i'd like to know why it's being weird. In HL2 i get ~40 at the worst, 50-60+ at best, 80's+ when looking at nothing, all on high 'cept med textures and med models, ( i seem to get slight stutterings when those are on high). 1024x768, (that's the highest res my crap $30 used monitor will go.)

Comments

• im_lostim_lost TWG Rule Guru Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15861Members
    It doesn't ever drop noticeably lower, right? I'm pretty sure it's some setting in Windows that needs to be changed. I don't know what it is, but someone should be able to help you with that quite easily.
  • R_A_CR_A_C Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16273Members
    yea, it doesn't screech to a halt or lag or anything, it's just weird. I bet there is some setting in windows, but I've tried everything I can think of.
  • JaspJasp Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13076Members
    Sounds like your refresh rate is limited to 60, you can either turn off vsync which may cause tearing or if your monitor supports it you can turn the refresh rate higher.

Given you have a nvidia card the normal way to alter these settings is by right clicking on the desktop selecting properties going to the last tab on the right and selecting advanced. It should be under the monitor tab on that screen.

On that screen one of the tabs should be the name of your GFX card under one of the tabs thier should be a setting for vsync.

Hope this helps.
  • R_A_CR_A_C Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16273Members
    Well, since i just bought HL2 and i don't mind rates of 60 in it, i'll worry about my little hl1 problem later. it's probably just the vsync and my new card strangely thinks my monitor only gets 60. Oh, and my story of buying HL2 is pretty funny, so i'll post it on the OT forums. think "coins"